No announcement yet.

Most Overrated Fighters of All-Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most Overrated Fighters of All-Time

I am sure this has been done before. But I haven't seen any recent threads on the topic.

I'll start with some of mine:

Muhammad Ali: I'm actually pretty compassionate of the Heavyweights. You can't expect a Lineman to perform ballet or gymnastics. Same, Heavyweights will have challenges fighters in lower divisions don't fact. Still, I feel Ali is greatly overrated. Both as a Heavyweight, and P4P.

Sam Langford: On film I don't see the much to be impressed by. Yes, he's one of the best to ever do it, but he's not P4P top 10. Probably his space in the top 25 isn't guaranteed. Very good for his era, but even then it looks like Packey McFarland and Gibbons were truly the best P4P. Sam Langford's KO power made him the best finisher, and his story make him the most memorable. But many fans might over-rank him in compensation for how his was mistreated during his career and largely forgotten until the internet resurrected his legacy.

Henry Armstrong: People rank this guy #1 P4P because he won the belt in 3 weight divisions, but he probably never was the best Featherweight or Welterweight. That might be going too far, but really he should be seen as a Lightweight. Many of his Ww title fights were fought closer to the Lw limit, and much of his championship competition was forgettable (to say the least). He did have a great record - but others had better. He does look good on film - but other Lightweights arguably look better. He's definitely top 10. But people get carried away w/ the 3 Championships at once.

Ezzard Charles: I have always heard great things about Charles. His record looks solid. And probably the best of him is not on film. But what we do have on film, I wouldn't pick him to beat other Light heavyweights... not definitively. Tunney definitely looks better. Patterson, Conn and Spinks are as good, or slight favorites. People hate on Dempsey, but he was fairly close to Charles in size, and he looks more naturally gifted.

I agree with you on Ali. He was great, but not the greatest of all time. We’ll never know how great he was, as in my opinion he benefited significantly from at least a couple of fixed fights (likely both Liston fights, and possibly the Norton fights), and extremely generous judging late in his career. I heard an interview with the authors of “Ali By the Numbers” and they said in some of Ali’s later fights there were rounds that Ali won, or drew, in which he literally did not land a single punch.

I suspect Ezra Charles’ defensive style would make him a very strong fighter today.

I think Mike Tyson is overrated. He looked spectacular in his early career because his handlers put him against substandard talent. The moment he ran up against tall lanky fighters with a strong jab and no fear, he had problems and lost fights.
    Last edited by mikehdaddy; 04-27-2019, 06:43 PM.

Comment

gennady triple g golovkin

Comment

Imo...
        joe calzaghe
        Floyd Mayweather
        Oscar De La Hoya
        Hasim rahman
        Chris John

Comment

Originally posted by mikehdaddy View Post
          I agree with you on Ali. He was great, but not the greatest of all time. We’ll never know how great he was, as in my opinion he benefited significantly from at least a couple of fixed fights (likely both Liston fights, and possibly the Norton fights), and extremely generous judging late in his career. I heard an interview with the authors of “Ali By the Numbers” and they said in some of Ali’s later fights there were rounds that Ali won, or drew, in which he literally did not land a single punch.

I suspect Ezra Charles’ defensive style would make him a very strong fighter today.

I think Mike Tyson is overrated. He looked spectacular in his early career because his handlers put him against substandard talent. The moment he ran up against tall lanky fighters with a strong jab and no fear, he had problems and lost fights.
          I don't remember the last time I watched an Ali fight because it was long before my time & have only watched a few. & I will give you the benefit of the doubt about Ali & fixed fights because anyone that has been managed by Arum has likely been involved in at least some shady sht.
          BUT.....I don't believe that bs for a minute about rds where he supposedly didn't even land a punch. I can surely count on 1 hand how often thats ever happened EVER in boxing history that a fighter didn't land 1 punch. So I don't believe for 1 min that Ali one of the atg's did that not once but often. Thats some BS

Comment

Without a doubt Floyd Mayweather jr.
            From at least the dela Hoya fight onwards, it was all about calculated low risk with highest reward options.

And he had to have every advantage possible to ensure he would secure a victory. Even if it wasn’t necessary.

The Maidana gloves controversy, the catchweight with canelo (even though he bagged Pacquiao for years with his catchweight fights)

He’s right up there as one of the best showmen, but to claim he’s TBE or even close to the best is simply not true.
            And that ultimately doesn’t come down to his skills, but instead it was his matchmaking and avoidance of stiff fights.

And you hear his fans say, oh but he fought so many champions.
            Pfft, like that matters, there’s like 4 champions a weight class now, and you can pick and chose the easy ones if you are in Floyd’s position.

The fact that he fought Pacquiao in 2015 and not in 2009/10 says it all, and when they fought he fought so minimally and you gotta laugh at fans making it out like it was a white wash.
            It was nip and tuck, Floyd’s own dad was screaming at him during the fight to not fight scared and let his hands go.

All you have to do is look at how he manages tank and you can see it’s obvious how he managed himself.
            I watched an interview where they said they can wait it out for lomachenko to get older before they take him on, and the fans can’t preasure them and they don’t care about what fans say.

That screams overrated.
            He’s a great fighter, but to make it out like he’s top 10 is laughable.
            His undefeated record is only for casual fans. Anyone can be beaten, and it only shows you took on everyone and put it all on the line.

Comment

Originally posted by mikehdaddy View Post

- -As a talent, there are few who could match Tony Tucker in height, range, footwork, and jab

The stumpy Tyson actually out jabbed him because better schooling from Cus than Tonys dad could provide.

Btw, Tonys dad ran off with the purse for that fight leaving Tony in a permanent funk for the rest of his career.

It happens.

Comment

Rusty blowing the bone I can’t even bear to read some of this crap .Cassius clay of the 60s most overrated Ezra’s Charles who was forced to fight heavyweights to make any money Armstrong with so many bums and protected champions who got over hyped and so these are the guys you pick.

Comment

Rocky Marciano he was def a monster hitter but his skill is lacking severaly his defence footwork and box ability is just not up to tap to be named a top 20 to 10 p4p fighter.
                  Like we all said many times before his best wins are all from great fighters but past there best days.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue54 View Post
                    Rocky Marciano he was def a monster hitter but his skill is lacking severaly his defence footwork and box ability is just not up to tap to be named a top 20 to 10 p4p fighter.
                    Like we all said many times before his best wins are all from great fighters but past there best days.
                    - -Well, those fighters were the champs all fighting each other.

Guess you didn't like Rock winning the title the old fashioned way of the Man beating the Man.

Go figure modern boxing fans cause nobody else can.

Comment

Working...
                    X