No announcement yet.

Carlos Ortiz

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Ortiz

This is one of my favorite old boxers ever. He was awesome, a beast. What I love about him is that he was both a p4p material and an exciting fighter, a brawler. He could box your ears off and pack a punch at the same time. Very few of them, always been. Which fighter today do you think is most reminiscent of him?

What I find very impressive about him is that his power only seemed to increase as he moved up to 147...maybe it had something to do with the level of opposition, but its still impressive. Btw, did anybody see the fight with Carlos Teo Cruz, where he lost the lightweight title? Might've been robbery, since it was in Cruz's homeland.

His achievements, in short: stopped Flash Elorde twice, both times in the 14th round, beat Ismael Laguna twice, stopped Sugar Ramos twice, got robbed with a draw against Nicolino Locche, beat 102-1 Duilio Loi, koed 31-0 Battling Torres, avenged a decision loss to Kenny Lane with TKO2 and later beat him by decision. He also beat Joe Brown, tho Brown was most certainly past his prime.
    Last edited by Pastrano; 04-26-2011, 10:31 AM.

Big Carlos Ortiz fan.

I personally have him #4 at Lighweight although many people believe Whitaker deserves that place over him but for me Ortiz is #4.

Great fighter, great resume. One of the greatest Lightweights of all time in m book.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Big Carlos Ortiz fan.

I personally have him #4 at Lighweight although many people believe Whitaker deserves that place over him but for me Ortiz is #4.

Great fighter, great resume. One of the greatest Lightweights of all time in m book.
      Hell yea! Ortiz beats up Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
        Hell yea! Ortiz beats up Whitaker.
        H2H I would favour Whitaker but in terms of Lightweight greatness I rank Ortiz higher personally.

Many disagree, and I see their arugment. But for me Ortiz has the stronger resume there.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          H2H I would favour Whitaker but in terms of Lightweight greatness I rank Ortiz higher personally.

Many disagree, and I see their arugment. But for me Ortiz has the stronger resume there.
          Whitaker didn't like pressure fighters, Ortiz strikes me as just that. Sure, he was a technical fighter as well, but he brought alot of pressure and thrived on that. Plus his power was way better than Whitaker's.

Comment

Whitaker didn't like pressure fighters, Ortiz strikes me as just that. Sure, he was a technical fighter as well, but he brought alot of pressure and thrived on that. Plus his power was way better than Whitaker's.
            And what do you base this on? In his prime, Whitaker beat plenty of pressure fighters and did it easily. If anything pressure fighters didn't like Whitaker.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
              And what do you base this on? In his prime, Whitaker beat plenty of pressure fighters and did it easily. If anything pressure fighters didn't like Whitaker.
              Lets not make THIS a thread about Whitaker, ok?? He lost to Ramirez, wether u consider it legit or not, Ramirez was a pressure fighter. He had problems with Paez also, another pressure fighter. Ortiz's resume is superior anyway.

Comment

Lets not make THIS a thread about Whitaker, ok?? He lost to Ramirez, wether u consider it legit or not, Ramirez was a pressure fighter. He had problems with Paez also, another pressure fighter. Ortiz's resume is superior anyway.

I'll make it about whatever I want as long as you keep making your usual stupid comments. You're talking out of your azz again with nothing to back up your statements. Yeah Whitaker lost to Ramirez lol ok. I don't expect much from a moron like you who argued that "prime" Arturo Gatti would have beaten Mayweather jr.
                Last edited by joseph5620; 04-26-2011, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  I'll make it about whatever I want as long as you keep making your usual stupid comments. You're talking out of your azz against with nothing to back up your statements. Yeah Whitaker lost to Ramirez lol ok. I don't expect much from a moron like you who argued that "prime" Arturo Gatti would have beaten Maywether jr.
                  Welcome to my ignore list! Not gonna waste any more time in stupid arguments with tossers like you. Go lick Pernell's balls.

Comment

Ortiz had his problems with boxer styles too, though.

He had problems with Laguna in the first fight in which I thought was a clear UD as opposed to the MD. Yeah, he worked him out and beat him on 2 later occasions but the fact still reamains he gave him issues in the first fight.

I have never seen the Locche fight in full and although Higlights are nothing to go by but you can see Ortiz had some issues and it was a very close fight apparently.

I see Whitaker giving him major problems and Ortiz wasn't an all out pressure fighter he was a great technican and thinker I think Whitakers style is all wrong for Ortiz personally.

Ortiz makes it competitive but Whitaker takes the descion IMO.

But again I personally have Ortiz above him at LW. Ortiz resume is remarkable and he gets underrated.

Comment

Working...
                    X