Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Boxing writers you met? Experiences?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Boxing writers you met? Experiences?

Who have you met in person who is a bigger name boxing writer guy?
    How much do the top boxing writers make? Anyone in the know?

I know a lot has changed now with everything online and with, streaming and podcasts etc. Actually how much do the bigger or even average podcast guys make? It's all sponsors right?

Have you met any of the bigger named guys in person? Share your experiences.

I met Mario Lopez he was probably neutral as in he was too busy to chat or really hang out plus he's more of an entertainment show host anyway, so maybe that's a bad example.

I also met Fat Dan and he is how you can imagine, thinking he's on a different level from the rest of the boxing writers. If you ask him a prediction he'll act like your wasting his time. Just not really friendly or humble.

I met Kevin Iole, he was very nice. Like I was surprised how nice he was since I know a lot of the other smaller writers beef with him online especially. Kevin stopped walking to look at me face to face and discuss boxing and his predictions with a real humble demeanor. I dont know how old he is, but he looks really old.

I met Kieran Mulvaney, also really nice guy. Very real and down to earth and likable.

What about you guys?

So I just saw ESPN staff writers make 43K to 47K

ESPN Senior Editor is around 95K

Thoughts? I thought they would make more?

Comment

I'm not even sure what 95% of them look like to speak to them like that. The ones I do know I think I'd lean towards just saying "hey" & fistbumping them (I don't shake hands with you nasty mfers who don't wash your hands out there) & keeping it moving. If I had some level of fame I think thats how I'd ideally like my public interactions to go with 99% of the public so I'll give the guy the same courtesy with my dealings with him.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
        So I just saw ESPN staff writers make 43K to 47K

ESPN Senior Editor is around 95K

Thoughts? I thought they would make more?
        Sounds about right to me.

You do know like 70% of these boxing writers are working for tickets to events or Youtube money right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
          Who have you met in person who is a bigger name boxing writer guy?
          How much do the top boxing writers make? Anyone in the know?

I know a lot has changed now with everything online and with, streaming and podcasts etc. Actually how much do the bigger or even average podcast guys make? It's all sponsors right?

Have you met any of the bigger named guys in person? Share your experiences.

I met Mario Lopez he was probably neutral as in he was too busy to chat or really hang out plus he's more of an entertainment show host anyway, so maybe that's a bad example.

I also met Fat Dan and he is how you can imagine, thinking he's on a different level from the rest of the boxing writers. If you ask him a prediction he'll act like your wasting his time. Just not really friendly or humble.

I met Kevin Iole, he was very nice. Like I was surprised how nice he was since I know a lot of the other smaller writers beef with him online especially. Kevin stopped walking to look at me face to face and discuss boxing and his predictions with a real humble demeanor. I dont know how old he is, but he looks really old.

I met Kieran Mulvaney, also really nice guy. Very real and down to earth and likable.

What about you guys?
          Great thread!

I had the privalege for years of corresponding with the late Joe rein who many on this site know. Great writer, great human being, and a great teacher.

I write professionally and Joe was always willing to slog through a piece for me. One of my favorite pieces he ever wrote was about James Toney: http://joerein.net/james_toney.html

Enjoy my friend!

Comment

It was very random but Michael Rosenthal reached out to me for business reason. I didnt know over the phone obviously but when we met, it was a trip to find out it was Michael Rosenthal.

Comment

I met Dan Rafael after a fight once. We talked about boxing for a while. Turned out it was just some fat guy, but hey he was cool.

Comment

I think if I met heavyweight boxing writer Dan Rafael I'd be surprised how obese he is even though I already know he's obese.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                  I met Dan Rafael after a fight once. We talked about boxing for a while. Turned out it was just some fat guy, but hey he was cool.

Lol same thing happened to me. I thought I met Fat Dan at a strip club last year, but he was just some fat drunk dude wearing an old De La Hoya vs Mosley II shirt with holes on it.

I was pretty drunk too, so drunk that I actually wished it was Fat Dan paying for lapdances with buffalo sauce on his chin.

Comment

Dan Rafael is easy to spot in Vegas. He hangs around the MGM lobby. He’s big and fat and wears glasses lol. Seen him many times. Fans always asking his predictions and future pics.

I saw Dougie Fischer at MSG at AJ Vs Ruiz fight. Buddy was getting himself an alcohol beverage

I’m not much of a groupie when I see famous/noticeable
                    ppl unless it’s the ring card girls lol. I seen that super fine tecate ring card girl Janira twice already. In Vegas and NYC. She hella fine

Comment

Working...
                    X