No announcement yet.

2 part question: Salvador Sanchez

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 part question: Salvador Sanchez

Where does Salvador Sanchez rank on an all time p4p list for you, and how would he have done at 130 vs Floyd Mayweather?

Salvador was incredible skillwise. He could possibly beat Floyd based on 2 things.

Floyd at 130 is young, Sanchez at 130 would have been in his absolute prime.

Floyd struggled bigtime against Castillo, or just against tough fighters in general.

Sanchez is not only tough as nails from a past era, but he's very tricky and skilled. Multi dimensional and has good defense himself.

That said, Floyds advantages are his hand speed, his defense is even better and he's quicker on his feet at 130.

I really can't say matchups like this are too hard, I'd probably say Floyd ugly decision, he was really damn fast at 130 and wouldn't mix it up. I don't see Sanchez hitting the gas as hard as some mexican fighters would either, he liked to box.

Comment

I think Sanchez is somewhere top 35 ATG. Sure, his career was cut short, but he still proved he was one of the greatest featherweights of modern times. I see his career in many ways similar to Pancho Villa; another fighter who died at 23 but had big names on the resume in short period.

The thing with Sanchez was that he was more a long distance runner than sprinter. This is why he was suited well for those 15 round contests. He struggled early against guys like RUben Castillo (undefeated at time he fought Sanchez) and Juan Laporte, but eventually he figured these guys and won the decisions. IMHO, the Castillo fight was a razor thin decision.

In a 12 round contest i would favor PBF, in a 15 round contest i would favor Sanchez. In addition, it's hard to predict how that extra four pounds would carry in Sanchez weight? Sanchez had excellent timing, but 130 was easily the best weight for Mayweather, and he had great power in both his left hook and lead right.

Comment

Salvador Sanchez struggled with guys who didn't come to him- the proof of this is in his title defenses.. He'd have to fght aggressively against a guy who is one of the slickest fighters in history, and he'd lose by a huge margin.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
          Salvador was incredible skillwise. He could possibly beat Floyd based on 2 things.

Floyd at 130 is young, Sanchez at 130 would have been in his absolute prime.

Floyd struggled bigtime against Castillo, or just against tough fighters in general.

Sanchez is not only tough as nails from a past era, but he's very tricky and skilled. Multi dimensional and has good defense himself.

That said, Floyds advantages are his hand speed, his defense is even better and he's quicker on his feet at 130.

I really can't say matchups like this are too hard, I'd probably say Floyd ugly decision, he was really damn fast at 130 and wouldn't mix it up. I don't see Sanchez hitting the gas as hard as some mexican fighters would either, he liked to box.
          Although I'm not going to disagree profusely, why would Floyd not 'mix it up'? Have you seen him at 130? No offence, but he mixed it up aplenty at 130 and considering his height, power and speed advantages usually, would against nearly anyone including Sanchez.

Check it out (all@130 and the first stuff I came across):

Comment

Originally posted by jabsRstiff View Post
            Salvador Sanchez struggled with guys who didn't come to him- the proof of this is in his title defenses.. He'd have to fght aggressively against a guy who is one of the slickest fighters in history, and he'd lose by a huge margin.

Just out of curiosity, who'd he struggle with that didn't come to him?

Comment

Working...
            X