No announcement yet.

Ray Robinsons best win?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ray Robinsons best win?

Okay we know Robinson beat a lot of great fighters but which is his greatest single win, IMO its between LaMotta and Gavilan, though I'm probably forgetting some key wins aswell.

Most unfair and hard to answer thread of the year goes to;

Ding Ding Ding*

Nah but in all seriousness, difficult one. I'll get back to you with my opinion and Lamotta and Gavilian are by no means bad choices at all.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      Most unfair and hard to answer thread of the year goes to;

Ding Ding Ding*

Nah but in all seriousness, difficult one. I'll get back to you with my opinion and Lamotta and Gavilian are by no means bad choices at all.
      I think your mistaken, I'll take second place http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=467887

Comment

It's tough. A victory over Basilio when you're, what, 36 or 37 & 200+ fights into a long career is a hell of a thing. Gavilan is probably the best fighter Robinson defeated at the time he beat him, in a very long innings, that stands out. Of course, he bested LaMotta, a beastly MW (more of a fore-runner to Super-Middles) whilst weighing under the Welter limit, which is huge.

I would probably go with Gavilan. Basilio would be runner-up.

Comment

I agree with WBY.

Gavilan and Basilio in my opinion.

Comment

Gene Fullmer

Comment

I wouldn't dare try to choose his best win but my favorite was definitely the fight where he actually stopped Lamotta. Oh my that was a hellacious fight. One of my all time favorite. It seemed like Robinson was hitting bricks against a cement wall that wouldn't give until the ref mercifully stopped the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
                It's tough. A victory over Basilio when you're, what, 36 or 37 & 200+ fights into a long career is a hell of a thing. Gavilan is probably the best fighter Robinson defeated at the time he beat him, in a very long innings, that stands out. Of course, he bested LaMotta, a beastly MW (more of a fore-runner to Super-Middles) whilst weighing under the Welter limit, which is huge.
                I would probably go with Gavilan. Basilio would be runner-up.
                That to me might be the most impressive factor in Robinson's career. And Lamotta was a top Middleweight. It's one thing to beat bigger fighters. But to beat top bigger fighters (with no catch weight) is impressive.

It would be hard to argue any of your choices.

Comment

Ive been studying Robinson's career lately, and he has a lot of underrated wins. I mean, no one seems to mention that he beat Sammy Angott as a Lightweight(or technically 136 1/2 lbs), and Angott became the Lightweight champ 5 months later, not to mention he was the first man to beat Willy Pep.

Overall I might have to say Gavilan or LaMotta however.

Comment

rematch with Randy Turpin was his best win

Comment

Working...
                    X