No announcement yet.

Boxing's Nice Guys?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing's Nice Guys?

So we all know boxers are usually known for bragging and trash talking their opponent to both build themselves up and to provide enough hype and excitement for their upcoming fight. But who are the guys in boxing history that never or almost never did that? Who were and are the nice, classy guys in boxing, that never seemed to badmouth their opponents but were always kind and respectful?

Arguello, classiest of all time.

Comment

Joe Louis and funnily enough the nicest bloke of a world champion ever.....Richie Woodhall.

Max Schmelling seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke.

Rocky Marciano was a dirty, revolting, ruthless man in the ring but he was a real charmer before and after fights.

Floyd Patterson was clearly quite introverted, but always respectful......another nice guy.

Oscar De La Hoya wasn't bad either. He was a little churlish after the Whitaker fight, but usually no trash talking and nice compliments for all his opponents post fight.

Leonard did the media darling thing quite well.....only the real fans knew that there was far more cunning and ruthlessness to his persona.

And who could dislike Frank Bruno???

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
        Arguello, classiest of all time.
        The first person that I thought of when I seen this thread. And Louis was another.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Joe Louis and funnily enough the nicest bloke of a world champion ever.....Richie Woodhall.

Max Schmelling seemed like a thoroughly nice bloke.

Rocky Marciano was a dirty, revolting, ruthless man in the ring but he was a real charmer before and after fights.

Floyd Patterson was clearly quite introverted, but always respectful......another nice guy.

Oscar De La Hoya wasn't bad either. He was a little churlish after the Whitaker fight, but usually no trash talking and nice compliments for all his opponents post fight.

Leonard did the media darling thing quite well.....only the real fans knew that there was far more cunning and ruthlessness to his persona.

And who could dislike Frank Bruno???
          I'm pretty sure he said something before the Whitaker fight, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

Comment

Originally posted by RubenSonny View Post
            I'm pretty sure he said something before the Whitaker fight, I can't quite put my finger on it though.

I remember the after fight interview, Oscar was very complimentary about Whitaker's jab..........and then suddenly seemed to change by saying something along the lines of 'I expected him to be stronger'.

He may well have said something before the fight, but Whitaker did seem to get under Oscar's skin. Pernell could be one cocky chap......it may have been provoked.

That said, Oscar was very much provoked by Mayorga.......but he stored up all his resentment for the ring that night.

Comment

All time - Floyd Patterson & Alexis Arguello

Today - Rick Burns

Comment

Shane Mosley.

Comment

Vicente Saldivar, Eder Jofre, Archie Moore, Tommy Hearns, Kostya Tszyu and Roberto Duran.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                    Vicente Saldivar, Eder Jofre, Archie Moore, Tommy Hearns, Kostya Tszyu and Roberto Duran.
                    Duran??? At times maybe, outside the ring.

Comment

Working...
                    X