Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mir-Nogueira II main event UFC 119

Frank Mir vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira II headlines UFC 119 in Indianapolis
    by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Jul 08, 2010 at 2:10 pm ET
    A rematch between heavyweights Frank Mir (13-5 MMA, 11-5 UFC) and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (32-6-1 MMA, 3-2 UFC) headlines September's UFC 119 event.

UFC president Dana White today confirmed the fight with MMAFighting.com, and MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) has confirmed the booking with a source close to one of the fighters.

An official announcement of the fight and event is expected as soon as this week.

UFC 119 takes place Sept. 25 at Conseco Fieldhouse in Indianapolis.

Nogueira vs. Mir II, of course, wasn't the first choice for the UFC 119 headliner. As MMAjunkie.com first reported, UFC officials planned to have UFC 116's main-event winner (champ Brock Lesnar and interim champ Shane Carwin) fight top contender Cain Velasquez at UFC 119. However, Lesnar, who earned a second-round submission win, and his wife are expecting the birth of a child in the next few weeks. Additionally, the booking would have required an abbreviated fight camp for the now-undisputed champ, who returned from a yearlong layoff (diverticulitis) for the fight.

Mir, of course, won the first meeting with Nogueira with an impressive second-round knockout at UFC 92 in December 2008. Only after the fight did we learn that Nogueira was slowed by staph-infection recovery and a knee injury. Still, Nogueira praised his opponent's performance and said he was surprised by Mir's noticeably improved striking skills.

Mir is just 1-2 since that big win, which marked Nogueira's first stoppage loss, with knockout losses to Lesnar and Carwin and a submission win over Cheick Kongo. The Carwin loss, which came at UFC 111 in March with an interim title on the line, marks his most recent outing.

Nogueira, meanwhile, also is coming off a loss. In February, he was stunned by a first-round knockout at the hands of Velasquez. The former PRIDE star set up the No. 1 contender's bout after earning a decision victory over Randy Couture this past August.

what a stupid matchup..no need for the rematch, i was hoping for a Noguiera vs CroCop rematch instead..

Comment

Originally posted by rainmaker89 View Post
      what a stupid matchup..no need for the rematch, i was hoping for a Noguiera vs CroCop rematch instead..
      well I don't mind the rematch. its the fact that its a main event headliner that bothers me. this seems more like a co-main event type fight.

also, I think this fight is necessary cuz Nog wasn't 100% in his last fight. I think Nog will win this rematch.

Comment

I like it. Especially since Rampage I think I heard is suppose to be a co-main event. Hopefully he fights Machida since the UFC wants to fn waste a fight with Bader vs Lil Nog. I was hoping for Nog vs Rampage.

Big Nog vs Mir 2
        Rampage vs Machida
        Guillard vs Stephens is an INSANE card!

Comment

I think this is a bad main event. Two guys who just got destroyed facing off, and to make things worse they've already fought. 'Mir already beat Nog, but this time it'll be the same because Nog is even more shot!'

Mike Russow is on a winning streak and showed a lot of guts and heart to win his last fight. Why not reward him by putting him in with one of them?

Something like Nog-Russow and Mir-CroCop would interest me. Not saying those are great fights or that everything has the same taste as me, but it'd be a lot better than Mir-Nog II IMO.

Comment

A Nogueira double loss could be a strong possibility.

Honestly what is the point in this main event....smh

Comment

MMA cards are lookin more like boxin cards now

Who wants to see this fight?

Lets give Cro Cop some better challenges, he's picked his game up latley

Comment

That's a good rematch, but I hope they stack up the undercard. Mir vs. Nogueira wasn't even a headliner when they first fought (Griffins vs. Evans was that night), and that was when they were both coming off wins and fighting for the interim belt.

Now they are both coming off losses where they both got knocked the **** out in the first round.
                Last edited by blaze778; 07-09-2010, 07:26 PM.

Comment

i hate this fight, it seems to me like it's just to give mir another easy win to put him in line for another title shot, so lesnar can destroy him again

Comment

But even if Mir wins again (which I think he will too), shouldn't he have to get at least one more win after that to get another shot at the title, since he lost his last title shot and lost his last match for the interim belt?

I always thought if Mir hadn't gotten into that motorcycle accident that he would've defended the heavyweight title at least 3-5 times before losing it, how about you guys?

Comment

Working...
                    X