No announcement yet.

Do fundamentals actually matter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do fundamentals actually matter

Hi, I’m new to boxing but I loved watching boxing, and I was wondering if the whole basic stuff my coach and many others teach is not very good. Im taught to always keep my hands up, never over commit and unbalance myself never cross my feet and don’t have a squared stance, keep my punches tight etc but many videos I see of Elite boxers don’t follow these. Many boxers do tend to walk around opponents and cross their feet all the time. The likes of Ali, Joe Walcott and Roy Jones JR seem to always have their hands down. Seeing Ali hit the heavy bag it’s like his hands are always down by his hips, and same with Floyd. Ruddock drops his hand so much to load his punch, which Is a huge tell and a giant no-no according to most trainers. Mike Tyson has a very squared stance which shouldn’t work because it gives more area to be hit, and Pacquiao literally jumps into his right cross, like technically he should’ve been way off balance but always seems to land it? Deontay wilder swings like he’s in a street fight and George foreman always seem to not have very clean punches, and I see many people commenting how they both lacked skill and fundamentals but they win anyways. Inoue puts his opposite hand down when throwing hard hooks, but you’re supposed to keep it up to block counters. Are these people just genetic freaks or are basic techniques not very useful?

Not if you have Wilder's power

Comment

Everybody is new to boxing int the training section

Comment

Listen to your trainer. Before you attempt musical improvisation, you gotta practice a lot of scales.

Comment

Learn the basics first, then if you're special you can develop your own game. The likes of Ali and RJJ would have learned the basics first. Learn to walk before you can run. For the hands down style you need incredible reflexes and composure to master it, it's not something just anyone can do, you have to realise how good these top pros are.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkety View Post
            Hi, I’m new to boxing but I loved watching boxing, and I was wondering if the whole basic stuff my coach and many others teach is not very good. Im taught to always keep my hands up, never over commit and unbalance myself never cross my feet and don’t have a squared stance, keep my punches tight etc but many videos I see of Elite boxers don’t follow these. Many boxers do tend to walk around opponents and cross their feet all the time. The likes of Ali, Joe Walcott and Roy Jones JR seem to always have their hands down. Seeing Ali hit the heavy bag it’s like his hands are always down by his hips, and same with Floyd. Ruddock drops his hand so much to load his punch, which Is a huge tell and a giant no-no according to most trainers. Mike Tyson has a very squared stance which shouldn’t work because it gives more area to be hit, and Pacquiao literally jumps into his right cross, like technically he should’ve been way off balance but always seems to land it? Deontay wilder swings like he’s in a street fight and George foreman always seem to not have very clean punches, and I see many people commenting how they both lacked skill and fundamentals but they win anyways. Inoue puts his opposite hand down when throwing hard hooks, but you’re supposed to keep it up to block counters. Are these people just genetic freaks or are basic techniques not very useful?
            Fundamentals count a lot, but talent can often take over.

Comment

For guys like Ward, Hopkins, and Mikey Garcia for example, fundamentals are everything.

Gifted guys like Mayweather, Roy Jones Jr, Pernell Whitaker were exceptions.

Since Mayweather was more fundamentally sound then the other two, he lasted longer.

So, yes they matter. Skills will take you far, but fundamentals will extend you and get you through the tough times. Notice how those who are fundamentally sound, also seem to be more disciplined in and out of the ring. It's a mindset thing as well.

Comment

With each of the fighters you named there are different reasons for why/how they are able to fight that way. Modern Martial Artist has YouTube vids on several of them breaking down how they make their style work. Roy was fast enough to lead with a left hook instead of a jab, but then when the opponent expected the left hook he'd throw a right instead. At first glance it looks like pure talent but there is timing, distance, feints, involved. His low hands made it harder for opponents to see what was coming but it can look like not caring about defence

In some cases these guys are genetic freaks, but the fundamentals are still important. Wilder for example would be a better fighter if he had started training at a younger age. Floyd did have his hands low but he also had fundamentals, his punching technique, footwork, balance etc. were strong enough to fight textbook if he wanted to.

If you have great talent then fundamentals will get you far further, if you don't have great talent then great fundamentals can bring success, maybe not to ATG level but certainly a world champ. IMO you should listen to your coaches, it is possible you could give 100% and still lose to someone with more natural talent. But isn't that most sports?
                Last edited by Clegg; 09-27-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pkety View Post

fundamentals are absolutely vital

stop comparing yourself to professional superstars

they mastered the fundamentals, and then they refined their game... tailoring their approach to their style, to maximize what works well for them

fundamentals are EVERYTHING

you can decide what to adjust... once you have mastered it, not before

Comment

Nassem Hamed learned the hard way that they do matter. Barrera fought a sound technical fight and beat him up.

Comment

Working...
                    X