Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daniel Cormier confirms trilogy with Stipe Miocic will be his retirement fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Cormier confirms trilogy with Stipe Miocic will be his retirement fight

Former two-division champion Daniel Cormier wants to end his career on a high note by winning a trilogy against Stipe Miocic. And he hopes to do it at UFC 245.

One month after Miocic defeated Cormier for the UFC heavyweight belt, “DC” confirmed he’s pushing for a rematch with the champ on Dec. 14. And it will be his last fight.

“I’m going to fight this guy again, and my intention is to fight him in the right way,” Cormier said on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show. “Hopefully that’s enough to get my hand raised.

“But I’ll go fight him again, (and) win or lose, I’m not fighting again. This will be the only time I ever step foot in the Octagon again.”

Questions surrounded Cormier’s future after his loss of the belt, which came after a strong early effort was met by a brilliant Miocic comeback at UFC 241.

Cormier said he would consult with his family before deciding whether or not to continue his career. He’s previously declared he’d retire before he turned 40; he celebrated that milestone in March.

UFC president Dana White confirmed last week a pending trilogy between Cormier and Miocic; the UFC executive said the champ is healing from the title-winning fight—the second time he’s held UFC gold—and will return after that.

UFC 245 takes place at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, a venue where Cormier has had great fortune. In July 2018, he knocked out Miocic there to become the second two-division champ in the sport’s history.

Another trilogy with longtime rival and current light heavyweight champ Jon Jones also beckons for Cormier. But the former Olympic wrestler’s priority is to correct his immediate setback.

“A true heavyweight rivalry will carry a sport, and I think right now we have that with Stipe and I,” he said. “I intend to go back and get the job done and fight the way I train to fight.”

Cormier attributed his loss to lapse in his game plan—a flaw he immediately pointed out after the fight in not listening to his cornermen—and said he’d been dealing with the grave illness of his father up to the week of the fight. His father recently passed away after a battle with cancer.

The former champ-champ took nothing away from Miocic, but said he could have done better.

“That was just great work by him,” Cormier said. “It goes to the fighting mindset and the ability of Stipe Miocic. He went hard body shot. And the one that hurt me, instead of chasing that again, he went up top.”

In a rematch, Cormier said, “I’m not saying I can just go grab Stipe Miocic and throw him down at will, but I can do a lot of things better than I did on August 17.”

DC wins the trilogy.

Comment

Best of luck to DC.

I think Stipe beats him again.

Comment

Real interesting fight . I would lean towards cormier slightly but i dont make that pick with any great confidence. Could go either way

Comment

Leaning to Stipe this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
            Best of luck to DC.

I think Stipe beats him again.
            stipe beat a c0cky out of gas DC and took him until the 4th round, where as DC beat a motivated stipe in the 1st round. if DC comes with the correct game plan then i see him beating stipe.

Comment

Originally posted by IceTrayDaGang View Post
              stipe beat a c0cky out of gas DC and took him until the 4th round, where as DC beat a motivated stipe in the 1st round. if DC comes with the correct game plan then i see him beating stipe.
              And what is the correct gameplan for DC? Poking Stipe repeatedly untill he can land a shot he won't see coming? Because that's literally the only reason he won the first fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                And what is the correct gameplan for DC? Poking Stipe repeatedly untill he can land a shot he won't see coming? Because that's literally the only reason he won the first fight.
                actually no, stipe got caught off guard coming off a clinch. that was fair game.

where as in the rematch, DC was not respecting stipe at all. walking towards stipe with his hands down, etc. taking unnecessarily damaged, which is the reason stipe won the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by IceTrayDaGang View Post
                  actually no, stipe got caught off guard coming off a clinch. that was fair game.

where as in the rematch, DC was not respecting stipe at all. walking towards stipe with his hands down, etc. taking unnecessarily damaged, which is the reason stipe won the rematch.
                  Stipe got caught with a right hand after having had his left eye blatantly poked 3 times in the fight, the last one only seconds before landing the right hand. As a boxing fan have you Ever heard of the saying: the punches that hurt the most are the ones you don't see coming?

In the rematch Stipe avoided DC's fingers all but one time and what won him the fight was the attack to the body, which fatass DC has no defense against.

Stipe's weakness are eye pokes, DC's weakness has always been body strikes. Stipe has already figured him out.

Comment

Originally posted by BKM- View Post
                    Stipe got caught with a right hand after having had his left eye blatantly poked 3 times in the fight, the last one only seconds before landing the right hand. As a boxing fan have you Ever heard of the saying: the punches that hurt the most are the ones you don't see coming?

In the rematch Stipe avoided DC's fingers all but one time and what won him the fight was the attack to the body, which fatass DC has no defense against.

Stipe's weakness are eye pokes, DC's weakness has always been body strikes. Stipe has already figured him out.
                    bruh!! they were coming off a clinch!! stipe skill set couldnt match DC. stipe didnt think that DC was gonna throw as soon as they come off the clinch (rookie mistake by stipe).

Comment

Working...
                    X