• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The worst downfalls in MMA history

MMA fighters who had the most dramatic fall from grace

My vote goes to Conor Mcgregor
    The worst downfalls in UFC history

Its tough for me to pick. My pick would either be Conor Mcgregor or War Machine. (summary at bottom)

War Machine beat up his wife and was jailed for 36 years. But not many people knew who he was, and he wasn't that successful in MMA so its not a massive fall from grace compared to Conor Mcgregor.

Now, lets look at Conor Mcgregor's downfall.

His rise to the top was simply incredible. Dominated the FW divisiom, beating Max Halloway, Chad Mendes, Dustin Porier etc and then dethroning the unbeaten FW king Jose Aldo in a record breaking 13 seconds. Then he moves on to fight Nate Diaz, and lost, but he came back and won a 5 round war.

Then he does the unthinkable and moves up to LW to destroy Eddie Alvarez in an effortless flawless performance. He became the first two weight champion simultaneously in the sports history.

Now comes the downfall. He challenges an unbeaten 49-0 Floyd Mayweather at his own sport, with a 0-0 record. Not smart. It was the second biggest fight in combat sports history, and he was dominated and humiliated. But then again, not many expected him to win a boxing match against one of the GOATS.

Then he throws a dolly at a bus, and causes worldwide outrage and court cases. He is now viewed as a criminal who breaks the law. Luckily, no jail time was served.

Finally, the ultimate downfall and possibly nail in the coffin. The biggest mistake of his life, facing unbeaten Russian champion Khabib wo was 26-0 at the time, after a two year lay off.It was the biggest fight in UFC history, and was also the biggest HUMILIATION in UFC history. He was outstruck, outgrappled, knocked down, picked up and slammed to the ground, pounded in the face for over 30 seconds, and then choked out in the 4th. To make things worst, his team mates were also assaulted, and two of Khabibs cornermen jumped the cage to attack Conor.

Conor went from being a potential GOAT, to an overrated tapper who cannot wrestle. He was stripped of two belts, lost his two biggest fights of his career, arrested and went to court etc.

I can't think of a bigger downfall for any athlete, let alone a UFC fighter. what do you guys think? Who had the biggest downfall in UFC history?

Summary

-Conor Mcgregor has the worst downfall in UFC history

-Become first double champ, destroying 2 champions with ease

-Loses biggest fight of his career against Floyd

-Attacks a bus and gets arrested

-Gets destroyed by Khabib in the biggest fight in history (2.5 million PPV buys)

-Stripped of two belts. Became emasculated. Became a laughing stock etc

How about Jose Aldo and Anderson Silva, in terms of long ass winning streaks ended and then falling off fast? At least when Fedor finally lost a few, he came back with a few wins before his initial retirement and comeback.
    Last edited by Anthony342; 12-27-2018, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Rich Franklin, Sean Sherk, BJ Penn, Takanori Gomi?

Even worse would be Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock. Those are the absolute worst downfalls ever. They STILL try to fight to this day. Yet 2 of those 3 were top of the MMA scene worldwide.

They keep fighting as bum ass grandpas and keep getting knocked out. Disgusting really.

Comment

McGregor? He's probably made over $200 million, not exactly a downfall.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          McGregor? He's probably made over $200 million, not exactly a downfall.
          Exactly.

The OP seems to have a hatred for McGregor.

I'd go with that idiot War Machine for being the biggest downfall.

All the other guys listed just went through the familiar cycle of being on top one minute, and an aging fighter piling up losses the next. That's sadly all too common.

But the War Machine idiot threw his career and freedom away for being a jealous moron.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            Rich Franklin, Sean Sherk, BJ Penn, Takanori Gomi?

Even worse would be Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock. Those are the absolute worst downfalls ever. They STILL try to fight to this day. Yet 2 of those 3 were top of the MMA scene worldwide.

They keep fighting as bum ass grandpas and keep getting knocked out. Disgusting really.
            I don't think Shamrock is gonna get sanctioned anywhere though at 54 now. I hope Liddell and Ortiz don't either. 50 should really be the cutoff, especially in combat sports. Anderson Silva is finally talking about retirement after his current contract ends. Should have done that maybe in 2013 or 2014 though.

Comment

Brazilians don't know the meaning of retirement lol. Isn't Wanderlei still trying to get into some fights? many of the old UFC guys are doing this weird bare knuckle fighting thing. A buddy of mine told me about Johnny Hendricks and Chris Leben getting knocked cold in bare knuckle fighting

Comment

Lee Murray. He was a rising star till he got into too many streetfights, got stabbed and did a robbery that landed him in jail for a 25 year stint. The money was never recovered I believe.

Comment

McGregor was the fighter everyone expected..a mid level fighter who talked his way into millions. No downfall with that dude.

Comment

mcgregor lost a couple of big fights, but they were tough fights, both of which he was the underdog in, and both of which he did better than most people expected. sure, he is making an ass of himself outside the cage, but that was always the case, and the UFC is too corrupt and his fans too stupid to give a ****. so hardly a downfall.

im surprised chris weidman isnt on anyones mind. he was supposed to be the next superstar. one of very few undefeated champions in UFC history with wins over three legends (old legends, but legends none the less), including the goat anderson silva.

then he fell of a cliff and got brutally knocked out in 4 out of 5 fights. dude is probably getting slept somewhere over a turkey sandwich as we speak.

Comment

Working...
                    X