Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brock Lesnar signs new deal with WWE, but still has option for one UFC fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brock Lesnar signs new deal with WWE, but still has option for one UFC fight

World Wrestling Entertainment’s announcement of Brock Lesnar signing a new contract doesn’t mean that he won’t be fighting in the UFC in 2018.

Lesnar is one of the biggest pay-per-view draws in UFC history, and doubles as one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling with WWE. Being that valuable to both organizations has its perks, as shown by Lesnar’s negotiating strong three-year pro wrestling deals in both 2012 and 2015.

Like in 2015, where Lesnar teased going to UFC and was negotiating seriously with them until one week before WrestleMania, when it was announced he was staying with WWE, the same game was played this year, only stronger.

Since the start of the year, the word in wrestling was that Lesnar would leave after WrestleMania, where he would lose his Universal title to Roman Reigns, and then return to the UFC. Dana White over this past week on several occasions talked about Lesnar returning, and outright said his idea was to give him a heavyweight title shot at the winner of the Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier fight on July 7 in Las Vegas.

The length of Lesnar’s new deal was not announced, although sources close to the situation described it as a short-term deal. The deal, according to sources, does allow him to do at least one UFC fight. It is unclear if the deal allows for multiple UFC fights.

It then becomes a risk for the UFC to put Lesnar in a championship match if his existing contract would not allow him to defend the title. While he would not be favored against either Miocic or Cormier, stranger things have happened. A Lesnar win could put the UFC in a unique position that their champion was under contract to another organization and they may have to negotiate through WWE owner Vince McMahon to get a title defense.

A key aspect is that Lesnar, who pulled himself out of the USADA drug testing pool, had still not reentered, meaning he would need six months of clean tests before fighting. One would think he’d want to get the ball rolling if he was planning on fighting again since he turns 41 this summer.

Lesnar and McMahon kept the Wrestlemania 34 result secret from almost everyone, including the top executives and the writing team, all of whom expected Reigns to beat Lesnar in the main event at WrestleMania on Sunday night at the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans. The expectation was that Lesnar would then leave for UFC. Instead, he won the match and retained his Universal title, leading to his signing being announced Monday.

Whatever happens I kinda feel like Lesnar doesn't want & won't have THAT many more UFC fights. In fact I think its probably one & done or if there is some nice 1 2 combo out there perhaps he can be talked into two.

But it seems like the most talked about match is Jon Jones vs Lesnar & with Jon's future up in the air still that fight might be 1-3yrs off still with his potential punishment looking at him dead ass right now. So if Jon can't fight til 2021 I doubt Lesnar will comeback at all.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      World Wrestling Entertainment’s announcement of Brock Lesnar signing a new contract doesn’t mean that he won’t be fighting in the UFC in 2018.

Lesnar is one of the biggest pay-per-view draws in UFC history, and doubles as one of the biggest stars in pro wrestling with WWE. Being that valuable to both organizations has its perks, as shown by Lesnar’s negotiating strong three-year pro wrestling deals in both 2012 and 2015.

Like in 2015, where Lesnar teased going to UFC and was negotiating seriously with them until one week before WrestleMania, when it was announced he was staying with WWE, the same game was played this year, only stronger.

Since the start of the year, the word in wrestling was that Lesnar would leave after WrestleMania, where he would lose his Universal title to Roman Reigns, and then return to the UFC. Dana White over this past week on several occasions talked about Lesnar returning, and outright said his idea was to give him a heavyweight title shot at the winner of the Stipe Miocic vs. Daniel Cormier fight on July 7 in Las Vegas.

The length of Lesnar’s new deal was not announced, although sources close to the situation described it as a short-term deal. The deal, according to sources, does allow him to do at least one UFC fight. It is unclear if the deal allows for multiple UFC fights.

It then becomes a risk for the UFC to put Lesnar in a championship match if his existing contract would not allow him to defend the title. While he would not be favored against either Miocic or Cormier, stranger things have happened. A Lesnar win could put the UFC in a unique position that their champion was under contract to another organization and they may have to negotiate through WWE owner Vince McMahon to get a title defense.

A key aspect is that Lesnar, who pulled himself out of the USADA drug testing pool, had still not reentered, meaning he would need six months of clean tests before fighting. One would think he’d want to get the ball rolling if he was planning on fighting again since he turns 41 this summer.

Lesnar and McMahon kept the Wrestlemania 34 result secret from almost everyone, including the top executives and the writing team, all of whom expected Reigns to beat Lesnar in the main event at WrestleMania on Sunday night at the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans. The expectation was that Lesnar would then leave for UFC. Instead, he won the match and retained his Universal title, leading to his signing being announced Monday.
      Nice - I'm interested in seeing Brock against any of the top 10 HW's right now TBH..

Lol I have a feeling he's gonna try his luck with roids again.

I love how he was unapologetic about it - "I'm a jacked White boi, deal with it" hahahah. wish more people were just honest rather than making up all these ridiculous BS excuses.

I think it actually helps both the UFC and WWE for him to be doing both sort of simultaneously.

Comment

It'd be cool if he could come back for 1 or 2 more fights and be allowed to use his WWE entrance music.

Comment

He must still be taking steroids.

Comment

F* roman reigns im glad he lost im sorry but the dude sucks

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
              F* roman reigns im glad he lost im sorry but the dude sucks
              Brock was lucky. Roman only needed one more superman punch.

Comment

Originally posted by octoberred View Post
                brock was lucky. Roman only needed one more superman punch.
                :d .............

Comment

Originally posted by bigjavi973 View Post
                  :d .............
                  I hear now the finish was switched around at the last minute. Nobody sure exactly why yet.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    I hear now the finish was switched around at the last minute. Nobody sure exactly why yet.
                    really?

hhmm that is rather interesting ima look it up!

oh and imo the undertaker/lesnar match i think that was a switch at the end too but imo it was up to the undertaker himself

Comment

Working...
                    X