Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belfort drops out of fight. Machida steps in.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belfort drops out of fight. Machida steps in.

Tonight on FOX Sport's Live it was announced that Vitor Belfort has withdrawn from his title shot against Chris Weidman at UFC 173. It was then announced that Lyoto Machida will take his place and fight Weidman for the UFC middleweight title.

Earlier today the Nevada State Athletic Commission unanimously voted to ban therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy, something Belfort has used for his last several fights.

Not seconds after the announcement on FOX Sports Live, the UFC e-mailed an announcement to the press:

The Ultimate Fighting Championship® announced tonight that former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto “The Dragon” Machida will face off against UFC middleweight champion Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 173 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas on Saturday, May 24.

In light of today’s unexpected ruling issued by the Nevada State Athletic Commission regarding the ban of therapeutic use exemptions for testosterone replacement therapy, Vitor Belfort, Weidman’s previously announced opponent, will no longer compete at UFC 173. Belfort, who has previously been granted therapeutic use exemptions, recognizes that he needs an extended period of time to become licensed in the state of Nevada.

With the event scheduled to go on sale shortly, Belfort agreed to withdraw from the fight in order to allow the UFC’s promotional efforts to move forward on time.

“With today’s ruling by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, former UFC light heavyweight champion Lyoto Machida, who’s undefeated since dropping to 185 pounds, will fight champion Chris Weidman in the main event of UFC 173 in May,” UFC President Dana White said. “Machida was dominant in his last two fights, beating Gegard Mousasi and knocking out Mark Munoz.

He’s earned this shot at Weidman, who’s coming off two straight wins over the greatest fighter of all time, Anderson Silva. Machida wants nothing more than to avenge the losses of his friend and training partner, and become just the third fighter in UFC history to win titles in two separate weight classes.”
    War Machida!

This is lame on so many levels. There was plenty of time for Machida. I wanted to see a great fight between Vitor and Weidman but now some ******* decided that this is the exact right time to take care of the TRT issue lol. Fools.

Comment

hahahaha. Belfort has officially made his already bad image even worse. I assume he's going to retire now.

Comment

WAR The Dragon

Comment

Not into the fight..

Machida will be boring as usual hoping to out point and back away from weidman all night.. I will never understand the love for machida.. unless he is getting beaten up the fight is most usually boring...

The funniest thing is the ts support for him given that he hates condit for "running" (beating his ass) from diaz all night

Comment

Ah well, roider has to get off dat der TRT, and Machida gets a title shot. Win win.

Either way it goes, Weidman by destruction.

Comment

i always support the roid monster no matter what

Comment

Originally posted by -Swizzy- View Post
                hahahaha. Belfort has officially made his already bad image even worse. I assume he's going to retire now.
                Not really. If Belfort was able to fight and look just as good in winning it makes him look like a cheat that never needed TRT. If he lost people would claim he was only winning due to TRT (although that is the whole point of him being on it to begin with). By giving up his opportunity of a title shot he makes a statement that he was using it due to necessity.

The answer should be to have an official UFC doctor who decides whether a fighter actually needs it or to just ban it altogether from the whole organization.

Comment

I thought the UFC did ban it after NSAC did. Anyway, now a report says Belfort will fight the winner of Weidman-Machida:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...m_campaign=mma

Comment

Well it appears Belfort didn't back out of the fight. UFC just pulled him out to assure that there will be a title fight on that date. I understand their decision. As long as Belfort fights the winner.

Comment

Working...
                    X