No announcement yet.

Jones vs. Sonnen set for April

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaps View Post
    The only good thing about this fight is that it will sell. Chael is a draw, he get's people interested. He'll probably put up a better fight than he would've if they fought at 151, but Chael's gonna get a beating...
    Not sure anyone is going to be fooled into believing that this is a credible matchup. There are the people that basically buy every UFC, and some people may go along with the tuf hype. Who knows? Maybe some fans of either fighter will tune in for that reason. But, anyone with any sense/knowledge whatsoever will see through the mismatch that this obviously is.

Comment

Not sure if the bottom line would add up or not, but if the UFC wanted to do something novel, they could've done a team-coaching gig, with Henderson and Sonnen (who train together already) on one team, and Jones and say, I don't know, Forest Griffin on the other team. They could have good footage of the 2 coaches on either team plotting strategy and what not. They could then have a blockbuster card with (i.e.) Griffin vs Sonnen as the co-main, and Henderson-Jones as the main event.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
        Not sure anyone is going to be fooled into believing that this is a credible matchup. There are the people that basically buy every UFC, and some people may go along with the tuf hype. Who knows? Maybe some fans of either fighter will tune in for that reason. But, anyone with any sense/knowledge whatsoever will see through the mismatch that this obviously is.
        Belfort fight was a mismatch too. They're all mismatches.

But at least despite the one sided nature of this fight, it will sell and Chael will actually fight, unlike a lot of Jones' opponents. I still think stylistically Jones can make it interesting if he can get Jones down and hold him down.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNegation View Post

But at least despite the one sided nature of this fight, it will sell and Chael will actually fight, unlike a lot of Jones' opponents. I still think stylistically Jones can make it interesting if he can get Jones down and hold him down.
          True, but I think most would consider Belfort more credible. Anyway, that's just my opinion. I wasn't saying it won't sell at all, but I don't know how many will be fooled into believing that Sonnen has a legitimate shot. Than again, I guess I've seen it before.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNegation View Post

That's a silly statement..basically what you're saying is jones is too good..there's no one who can beat him...and I agree there is no one out there who can beat this kid right now..I'm not a fan of his but you have to give the kid the respect he deserves..he's a talented fighter..makes things look easy and has a true warrior spirit in him.

Comment

Originally posted by kaps View Post
              Jones is out until April because of his strained arm, Hendo was ready to go in Feb. That's what I've read anyway...
              exactly.

Everyone knows this is for ratings but Dana doesn't want to say it. He's trying to hype this as a legit matchup.

nevertheless, can't wait for the new tuf season to start.

Comment

Originally posted by ~BoZz~ View Post
                That's a silly statement..basically what you're saying is jones is too good..there's no one who can beat him...and I agree there is no one out there who can beat this kid right now..I'm not a fan of his but you have to give the kid the respect he deserves..he's a talented fighter..makes things look easy and has a true warrior spirit in him.

It's a silly statement....but yet you seem to be agreeing with my statement.

Listen the guy has beaten all the elite fighters in the division already. So it's hard to believe a 40 year old or Sonnen is going to beat him

Comment

Jones and Sonnen are pretty well hated now among fans. So, who do you root for in this fight? Or I guess you just root for a good fight and hope someone gets knocked out. Or, do you even bother watching this live? I won't be.

Comment

I think Sonnen has actually gained more fans...

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody$Nate$ View Post
                      Because unless its short notice to save a card this fight is ridiculous. It was ridiculous for Jones to turn down Chael in the first place.

Chael is a 1000x easier opponent then Vitor. This isn't Anderson Silva where wrestling is his weakness and chaels one dimensional bum ass has a chance. Hamil, Wlad, Rampage, and Rashad would all stuff Sonnen and destroy him.

Atleast Vitor had a punchers and BJJ chance to win the fight at any moment. Chael can only wrestle which jones eats for breakfest.

And atleast Vitor at one time was relevant at 205. Chael was a bum at 205 getting schooled by babalu. Hes only good at 185 because hes bigger and wrestling happened to be silvas weakness.

UFC is a freakin joke for making this fight. Chael won't even make it out the first round once Jones stuffs him.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android
                      Or maybe he just improved?? you know Nate Marq and Okami aren't exactly bad wrestlers, both were n2 and 3.

Jones has no one to fight really anyway...

Gustaffon wants more time an is fighting shogun then will challenge..

Machida had one good victory since being trashed by jones..

Sonnen will lose for sure.. but he is fearless and relentless and will make jones back up (something that he doesnt react well to)

Comment

Working...
                      X