No announcement yet.

What's with all the MMA Promotions?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
    well UFC pretty much has every top fighter already. luckily, UFC has integrity(whether ppl believe it or not) and they want the best fighters no matter if it makes them more money or not. Like when they bought PRIDE and Strikeforce. Something they didn't really need to do but did it to put on the best fights. And they're in a position right now where they have pretty much everyone and the guys they don't have, they'll eventually have on the roster anyway.

Had the UFC not given a **** about putting together the best possible fights, than this would be a big problem. But they do.... so if UFC is a monoply as most say, then its the best kind of monoply. One that actually strives to be the best it can possibly be regardless of its lack of competition.
    Cant really say that if they never fought anyone outside.

Those that did. Well, JDS's only loss was against a fighter outside the UFC promotion, and ALL of Anderson Silva's losses were against fighters outside the UFC promotion.

Comment

When wanderlei silva was the pride middleweight champ...dana white actually did enter chuck lidell who was the ufc light heavyweight champ at the time in a pride tournament to prove the ufc's superiority but chuck lidell lost to rampage jackson in the semifinals.

And when the ufc acquired pride they did have a match between anderson silva and dan henderson for a unification bout of sorts being pride's last reigning middleweight champ.
      Last edited by shadeyfizzle; 04-06-2012, 02:54 AM.

Comment

My friends, kswizzy is the quintessential example of a Zuffa Zombie.

But Clegg pretty much nailed it on the head with his post.

This is a good video dealing with it

Comment

Exactly. Well said by Pat Miletich. A World Alliance or WAMMA, as they call it needs to be accepted by all the promotions, not just most or all except the UFC. In the long run, wouldn't it make more money, because the fans would be seeing the matchups they want to see and you would only have one undisputed champion, making the sport more universally accepted? I mean, one of the reasons boxing isn't as popular anymore is because there's too many title belts. The other reasons being no dominant American heavyweight and no major TV network coverage for the pros, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
            nope. its good the way it is. every sport in the world has many different leagues. MMA shouldn't be any different.

ie: soccer which has over 30 pro leagues all over the world and about 4 of those being elite leagues.

MMA has a lot of promotions, but there is only 1 real elite promotion. Bellator has a couple of good fighters but it isn't on that level yet. Only other time there were multiple elite promotions was with PRIDE. But right now every really great fighter is pretty much in UFC. There are guys like Lombard, and Alvarez who are really good, but nobody actually thinks they're good enough to beat a UFC champ.

I've got no problem with this system as long as every fighter out there recognizes that there is only one true promotion with a worthy belt, thats all that matters. Everyone in mma fights to be in the UFC as the ultimate goal.
            I heard for years ufc offers the best fighters judging from what i have seen its been strikeforce that was the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
              Exactly. Well said by Pat Miletich. A World Alliance or WAMMA, as they call it needs to be accepted by all the promotions, not just most or all except the UFC. In the long run, wouldn't it make more money, because the fans would be seeing the matchups they want to see and you would only have one undisputed champion, making the sport more universally accepted? I mean, one of the reasons boxing isn't as popular anymore is because there's too many title belts. The other reasons being no dominant American heavyweight and no major TV network coverage for the pros, of course.
              I agree the monopoly has to end and will end,mark my words either they become the wbc of mma or they will fall apart entirely,It works only cause the fighter let it work if everyone had a Tito mindset this sport would have already changed,people talk about Arum is bad the ufc rapes all of there fighters at the same time.

Comment

In Boxing you have different Boxing promotions, some big like Top Rank and Golden Boy and others small (Ill just use Snookis event because none currently come to mind though there are quite a few), same with MMA.

The UFC is way ahead of any promotion and does not need to collab with any other promotion to get what they want thats how dominant they are. Strikeforce is pretty much going to be non-existant in about two years because UFC poached a lot of their top fighters and many UFC fighters do not want to be 'relegated' to the B-League that is Strikeforce. Dream is pretty much bankrupt, Japanese MMA is close to dead as it goes with the fall of MMA/decline of Sakuraba, Bellator is a good up and coming promotion with solid backing in Viacom but the UFC could poach their stars as well like Dana said he will be doing with Lombard (not in those words), apart from that all of the other promotions are pretty small. K1 is pretty much dead for the time being, they couldn't pay the fighters the last time they held an event and it was cancelled this year with no future announcement and with top fighters such as Badr Hari going to Boxing...so that isn't looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodogoshi View Post
                  My friends, kswizzy is the quintessential example of a Zuffa Zombie.
                  But Clegg pretty much nailed it on the head with his post.

This is a good video dealing with it
                  nope. you're just labeling me as that cuz I have a different opinion than yours.

the thing is, I'm not insecure so I don't need to hate on "the man" (in this case UFC) in order to make myself feel a little bigger.

I'm just stating the truth...... no more no less.

Comment

It's stupid. No Unified champion means no real champion. Who is the MMA HW Champ of the world? No one. That's ****ing lame as hell. Super fights have proven their worth. To argue with super fights is to say "I'd rather Pac-May to never happen, and Ali-Foreman-Frazier was a mistake" nonsense at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Marchegiano View Post
                      It's stupid. No Unified champion means no real champion. Who is the MMA HW Champ of the world? No one. That's ****ing lame as hell. Super fights have proven their worth. To argue with super fights is to say "I'd rather Pac-May to never happen, and Ali-Foreman-Frazier was a mistake" nonsense at best.
                      lol.

yeah, what the UFC should do is award 3 more HW titles for 3 other random fights and call them HW Title #1, HW Title #2, HW Title #3, HW Title #4 and then have them fight each other to unify the titles.

from a logical stand point, that would be the exact same thing as what you're saying.

Comment

Working...
                      X