Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Chuck Liddell's legacy? {KO'ing or gettin KO'd)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

His sprawl mixed with 1 punch ko power is what made people like him, but if you watch most of his fights, he even gets out struck by wrestlers until he lands the big bomb. I think he's overrated, but he did alot for the sport and loves to fight, so I give him the respect he deserves for those things...

Comment

was a pretty solid counterpuncher with a good style for MMA.
      ofc i loved seeing him get koed. but gotta respect what he did at his peak

Comment

KO'ing most of the top guys in the UFC at 205 in his prime and having one of the longest (or was it the longest?) reigns at Light Heavyweight Champion in UFC history, plus only one unavenged loss in his prime (to Rampage, was considered past prime with losses to Jardine, Shogun, Evans and Franklin), avenged losses to Jeremy Horn and Randy Couture. Not the most technical kickboxer, but one of the toughest and hardest hitting.

I was loving it back in the day when Lidell was knocking out everyone and Mir was tapping out everyone, so his style is the type I like watching and are the type of fights I gravitate towards.

Comment

Chuck's legacy is definitely solid. I loved his sprawl/takedown defense and willingness to trade.

But I agree with a lot of posters here, he's overrated. His punches were sloppy, which was why the majority of knockouts came by counter-punching.

When he tries to lead and throw the first punch, he was completely open and it was his tough chin that kept him alive in his fights. Eventually his chin was cracked one too many times.

But Chuck put on some of the most exciting fights, had a good title run, and was one of the fighters that brought mainstream popularity to the sport. He was a wrestler who loved to stand and trade and was hard to take down.

That's actually the kind of wrestler the casual and even hardcore fans really enjoy watching.

Comment

I love Chuck he is definitely a ATG in mma but every time I see him I think about the Rashad fight

Comment

How in the hell can you question Chucks legacy?

He has 11 clean KO's on his record, true knockouts, not stoppages.

He has only ever been clean KO'd twice. By Franklin and by Evans, both within the last 2 years.

Rampage NEVER clean KO'd Chuck.

You do the math...

Comment

He'll always be remembered as the guy who knocked people out.

Do we remember Tyson for his early days or him getting KTFO by Danny Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Hu$tler View Post
                  I love Chuck he is definitely a ATG in mma but every time I see him I think about the Rashad fight
                  I like Chuck, but everytime I think of him, I think of the Rampage fight. The end of the Iceman era. But the Rashad knock out was more brutal.

Originally posted by kayoss View Post
                  How in the hell can you question Chucks legacy?

He has 11 clean KO's on his record, true knockouts, not stoppages.

He has only ever been clean KO'd twice. By Franklin and by Evans, both within the last 2 years.

Rampage NEVER clean KO'd Chuck.

You do the math...
                  I am not denying Chuck's legacy and I believe he is an ATG for sure, but many fans overrate him and his skills tremendously. He had a great run as the UFC champ, but the 3 best 205 fighters Silva, Shogun, and Rampage were in Pride at the time.

Comment

This is what pops into mind when I think of Chuck in his prime....

Comment

Originally posted by blaze778 View Post
                      Chuck's legacy is definitely solid. I loved his sprawl/takedown defense and willingness to trade.

But I agree with a lot of posters here, he's overrated. His punches were sloppy, which was why the majority of knockouts came by counter-punching.

When he tries to lead and throw the first punch, he was completely open and it was his tough chin that kept him alive in his fights. Eventually his chin was cracked one too many times.

But Chuck put on some of the most exciting fights, had a good title run, and was one of the fighters that brought mainstream popularity to the sport. He was a wrestler who loved to stand and trade and was hard to take down.

That's actually the kind of wrestler the casual and even hardcore fans really enjoy watching.
                      The only other thing I would've liked to see Lidell do was try some more ground and pound victories. Like, when he scored the takedown on Shogun and then just lets him up and gets knocked out with a left hook. Why not stay on top of the opponent and go for the knockout, like a Mark Coleman or Matt Hughes? I think he used more of his wrestling in his earlier fights. Other than that, loved watching Lidell fight, he's one of my all-time favorites.

Comment

Working...
                      X