No announcement yet.

Dana White: Tom Aspinall not fighting Stipe Miocic or Jon Jones next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dana White: Tom Aspinall not fighting Stipe Miocic or Jon Jones next

Dana White is dead set on Jon Jones fighting Stipe Miocic, even with interim champion Tom Aspinall in waiting.

Aspinall claimed a share of the heavyweight crown this past November with a spectacular 69-second knockout of Sergei Pavlovich at UFC 295. That interim title bout was made due to undisputed heavyweight champion Jon Jones having to bow out of a highly anticipated fight on that card against Stipe Miocic after suffering an injury.

Jones is expected to be out of action for at least the first quarter of 2024, which currently leaves Aspinall out of the undisputed title equation as both Jones and Miocic have insisted they only plan to fight one another. White spoke to TNT Sports about the status of the heavyweight belt, which won’t be contested between either of those men and Aspinall anytime soon.

“No,” White answered when asked if Aspinall could fight Jon Jones. “And we’re not stripping Jon Jones either. He’s the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. You’re a young guy. You were injured there for a while. You’ll get your shot. Just wait. This fight has to happen and then we’ll figure out what’s next for you.”

Whenever Jones returns, it will be for only his second fight since 2020. He defeated Ciryl Gane at UFC 285 to claim a vacant title and that bout remains his lone outing as a heavyweight for the promotion.

Aspinall also returned from injury this year, defeating Marcin Tybura and Pavlovich en route to an interim title. A debate has been raised as to whether Aspinall should wait for the Jones-Miocic winner (with the possibility that one or both retire after they fight) or just defend his own belt.

“Aspinall could possibly fight again, I don’t know,” White said. “We’ll see how this plays out going into the next year, but Jones and Stipe, the fight, they both deserve it. Jon Jones got injured, there’s nothing he can do about it. I don’t know, we’ll see what happens in ‘24.

“If Aspinall wants to fight before that fight happens, why not? Why not let him defend it?”

Miocic is also coming off a long stretch of inactivity, having not competed since losing the heavyweight title to Francis Ngannou at UFC 260 in March 2021. At 41, Miocic likely only has a few—if not one—fights left that he’d like to book.

According to White, Aspinall will not be one of them, at least not next.

“Well, that ain’t happening,” White said. “Stipe, you have to understand this, if you look at what Stipe’s accomplished in this sport, what he’s done, where he’s at in his career, he wants the Jon Jones fight, and I get it. Arguably the greatest heavyweight of all time versus the greatest mixed martial artist of all time. He wants that fight.

“It’s a big legacy fight for both guys. He was ready for that fight, it was 10 days out or something, and you pull it out and now he’s fighting Aspinall? [Miocic] wants Jones and Jones wants Stipe, so it makes sense.”

Aspinall sports a 7-1 UFC record, with his one loss coming by way of injury 15 seconds into a bout against Curtis Blaydes. He has a number of potential challengers to his interim belt should he choose to defend it, including Blaydes and the undefeated Jailton Almeida (the two meet in a top-contender bout at UFC 299 on March 9).

Logically, Aspinall’s first title defense would take place in his native England. It’s a prospect that excites White if Aspinall calls for it.

“He’s the champ,” White said. “He’s got the belt right now, while Jon Jones is injured. If he wants to defend the title, we’d absolutely do it.”

It gives the impression that Dana doesn't have full confidence in Aspinall. Jones is probably one fight away from retirement so this is the only chance, and if Aspinall does beat Jones clearly he becomes a bonafide MMA star – and is the man who beat the man (who they haven't had since Ngannou).

Comment

Jones always has injuries, DUIs, car accidents, or failed drug screens when his division starts to get more interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Butt stuff View Post
        It gives the impression that Dana doesn't have full confidence in Aspinall. Jones is probably one fight away from retirement so this is the only chance, and if Aspinall does beat Jones clearly he becomes a bonafide MMA star – and is the man who beat the man (who they haven't had since Ngannou).
        Feels more like he doesn't have confidence in Stipe to me. The move here 99x outta 100 by Dana would have been to have Tom fight Stipe for the interim belt to begin with. There's not a whole lot of times one guy gets injured & Dana sidelines both guys so thats weird to me & says a lot.

To me the move here originally or even now is to have Tom & Stipe fight & then have the winner fight JBJ when he's good.

Comment

I dont think Dana wants to chance Jones winning and then retiring.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

I dont think Dana wants to chance Jones winning and then retiring.
            Agreed, he has no confidence in Aspinall. The heavyweight title is already watered down with Ngannou’s departure.

Shame because it would rocket Aspinall to become a HUGE name in the UK alone.

Comment

Agreed, he has no confidence in Aspinall. The heavyweight title is already watered down with Ngannou’s departure.

Shame because it would rocket Aspinall to become a HUGE name in the UK alone.
              At some point Dana has to do something with Jones against someone.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post

At some point Dana has to do something with Jones against someone.
                Isn't it already the worst kept secret JBJ is retiring after Stipe? Thats the only thing that makes sense to me why they sidelined an uninjured Stipe & are fine with this fight still happening a year from now or w/e. Dana, imo, is trying to make a retirement fight for a legend (or two, cuz I don't think Stipe is fighting after JBJ either).

This protecting Tom theory makes zero sense to me cuz they don't really protect anyone THAT much. I mean a good % of ppl were picking Tom to get slept in this interim belt fight so bad first step if they were trying to gift him the interim belt. Him losing to Stipe or JBJ only helps his Q score anyway. This is MMA not boxing. An L doesn't fook you up the same in MMA like it does in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                X