Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dominick Cruz says he mutes Daniel Cormier commentary: ‘He doesn’t do the homework’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominick Cruz says he mutes Daniel Cormier commentary: ‘He doesn’t do the homework’

Dominick Cruz isn’t thrilled with Daniel Cormier’s performance at the commentary desk, though he admits he hasn’t been listening to much of it recently.

Ahead of his bantamweight bout with Pedro Munhoz at UFC 269 this Saturday, Cruz was asked at media day to assess the skills of his fellow commentators and criticized Cormier for a lack of preparation while praising play-by-play man Jon Anik.

“Anik, to me, I watch Anik do so much homework leading up to a fight,” Cruz said. “People have no idea how much homework he has to do to be prepared for that. The most kudos for me really goes to him. He leads us in the broadcast with how he talks.

“When it comes to ‘DC,’ I usually mute it. I love DC, he’s my friend, but to me, from my experience, he doesn’t do the homework. He wants to get in and out, get the job done, make his money, and I think he cares about us but it’s just different. He doesn’t do the preparation from my experience. He might now, I’m hoping he watches some film this time on me so he knows what I’m doing and why I’m doing it, but I’m not gonna hold my breath on that, that’s for sure.”

Cormier, a former two-division UFC champion, has received both positive and negative reviews for his commentary work, with supporters pointing to his enthusiasm and in-cage experience and detractors criticizing him for a lack of preparation as Cruz suggests and also a lack of knowledge when it comes to scoring bouts.

While Cruz is quick to give his honest opinion of DC’s on-air talents, he also acknowledged the difficulty of the job and that he himself is constantly working on improving.

“Honestly, I’m never perfect, so there’s a roster of, I don’t know, what, 400, 600 fighters and not everybody’s gonna agree with what I say either,” Cruz said. “So it’s all perspective in there. DC is a gifted athlete and I think [Michael] Bisping does a lot of homework. I think he watches a lot of film and I think there’s certain people that watch the film and I count that because I do the film study.

“The reason I do the film study is it’s bigger than me. I’m not in there talking to hear myself talk and to be right, I’m in there to support the athletes and talk about why they’re great and what makes them great, and in order to do that I need to watch film. I need to see what they do against different styles and how they match up and what creates the openings that they create in those fights and why. I really don’t call or text any of them because they’re just doing their job. They’re seeing it how they see it, it’s their interpretation, it doesn’t make it fact, and I know they’re doing the best they can honestly. I know I do the best I can and I’m not always perfect.”

In addition to working with Anik, Cormier, and Bisping, Cruz has regularly shared the desk with longtime color man Joe Rogan. Though Rogan only works UFC pay-per-views, he remains one of MMA’s most popular figures both due to his commentary work and his podcast, and Cruz considers Rogan to be an essential part of the UFC viewing experience.

Cruz specifically pointed to Rogan being able to work with less of a filter due to his experience as a comedian. He also had plenty of nice things to say about his other broadcast partners — even Cormier.

“The sport itself, yes, we may know more because we’ve been in there, but Joe Rogan brings a special quality,” Cruz said. “I hope he does this next to me forever, to be honest. I really do. I love working with him, I love him as a human being and what he stands for right now, especially in this day and age, he’s a powerful human being. Anik, same. I want to work with Anik for the rest of this. If he quits, I say, ‘I will slap you if you quit. I need you. Don’t you dare.’

“Me and Bisping, do I really need to touch on that? That’s back and forth. He’s just fun. He’s my friend. I’ll never forget Bisping came to one of my — I lost one of my fights and he came to my afterparty and he partied with me all night. I’ll forever have a space in my heart with Bisping whether people know it or not, I love that guy. DC, again, we go back and forth and we bicker like brothers because he’s like my brother to me. I just love him, too. I just need him to watch some film.”

Cormier has now responded back!

Daniel Cormier confronts Dominick Cruz over commentary criticism: ‘It was wrong of you to say what you said’

The UFC broadcast team might need a little family therapy.

Ahead of his fight on Saturday night, Dominick Cruz criticized fellow broadcast partner Daniel Cormier for what he believed was a lack of preparation when calling fights.

“When it comes to ‘DC,’ I usually mute it,” Cruz said during UFC 269 media day. “I love DC, he’s my friend, but to me, from my experience, he doesn’t do the homework. He wants to get in and out, get the job done, make his money, and I think he cares about us but it’s just different.

“He doesn’t do the preparation from my experience. He might now, I’m hoping he watches some film this time on me so he knows what I’m doing and why I’m doing it, but I’m not gonna hold my breath on that, that’s for sure.”

Hours later, Cormier invited Cruz to shoot an interview for his YouTube channel where he confronted the former UFC bantamweight champion over his comments.

“The things we talk about privately, we aren’t supposed to say in public,” Cormier said to Cruz. “That’s what you just did. That’s our rule. You say so many things privately that I would never say publicly. You and I say things privately that we would never say publicly.”

Cruz countered by saying that he was doing nothing more than offering some constructive criticism of a colleague and saw nothing wrong with the way he addressed it with the journalists at media day.

“I held you accountable,” Cruz said when speaking to Cormier. “Accountability is love, D.C. Accountability is love. It’s love. It’s a generalization.

“I’m not allowed to say what I feel? I’m wrong?”

While Cormier won’t begrudge Cruz from having his own opinion about commentary during broadcasts, he responded to the claim that he doesn’t do adequate research before calling fights.

“Dominick, there’s a different way to prepare for a fight than watching film,” Cormier said. “It’s not singular. I do watch. I watch film every single time. Do I watch fights to the extent that you watch fights? No. I will openly sit here and say I don’t watch fights to the extent that Dominick Cruz watches. I do watch film. Every single time.

“I watch every one of your fights. I’ve called your last fights. I’ve called your last two fights. But before those fights, I watched prior fights. I watch winning fights. I watch losing fights. I watch all the fights.”

Cormier believes Cruz’s issue with preparation really stems from past jabs the former bantamweight champ has made about not studying film. During broadcast, he hasn’t argued with that statement. Instead, he’s just rolled with the punches and continued to do his job.

But Cormier promises a lot of work goes into his preparation – whether Cruz sees it or not.

“You know where this idea comes from? Because when you say stuff like ‘D.C., you don’t watch fights,’ I don’t bother to combat it,” Cormier said. “So then you take it as fact. Because I don’t say, ‘No, I do Dominick.’ Because I really feel no need to really have to tell you why or how I prepare for my fights.

“It’s your interpretation that I don’t watch the fights because I don’t combat when you say, ‘Oh, you don’t watch fights.’ I don’t go, ‘Oh no Dominick, I do watch fights.’ So then you take that as me admitted that I don’t, but the reality is I do.”

Cormier admitted he previously has had a research assistant to help him collect notes before the events he called, but he said that stopped as he started taking a more hands on approach to his commentary.

These days, Cormier said, he does film study on top of other research in order to get ready to call the fights, just like he’ll do on Saturday when Cruz clashes with Pedro Munhoz at UFC 269.

“Can I tell you something right now as a friend? It was wrong of you to say what you said this morning,” Cormier told Cruz. “Because that was not fair of you as a colleague to do that publicly. You should tell me.

“The reality is even if you said D.C’s my brother, you and I brothers, we’re brothers, but even if you say that, they won’t run that. They won’t run that you say that we’re brothers.”

In his initial statement, Cruz may have been critical toward Cormier, but he also added that “he’s like my brother to me.”

Cormier considers Cruz with the same reverence. He just ultimately just didn’t appreciate the way the criticism was made.

“As a colleague, a professional courtesy, you don’t do that to your teammates,” he said. “You don’t go publicly. Those things you don’t say in the public.”

Comment

Fredo-you-are-my-older-brother-and-I-love-you.-But-do-not-ever-take-sides-with.jpg

Comment

If Cruz had his way, all commentary from past UFC events would be edited and replaced by only his voice.

Comment

Not really a fan of any of them. It'd be nice if there was a no commentary option and we could just hear the fights and the crowd.
          OctoberRed OctoberRed likes this.

Comment

Working...
          X