No announcement yet.

is boxing effective in street fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
    most fighting styles are effective if you use them properly. like boxing isn't good in a grappling situation and jiu-jitsu isn't effective when you're standing up. but in a street fight, against someone who doesn't know how to fight, it is very effective.
    That's not exactly true. Even if you are a pure grappler, you can still do submissions standing. You can also slam your opponent or throw him into a vulnerable position.

Comment

Originally posted by Organik View Post
      That's not exactly true. Even if you are a pure grappler, you can still do submissions standing. You can also slam your opponent or throw him into a vulnerable position.
      well, I meant standing up and NOT grappling.

Comment

Originally posted by Elemental Fist View Post
        It can be quite effective as proven in this video from a news program:

lol tht guy not boxer at all. that**** is Oikido or somethin

Comment

Originally posted by Elemental Fist View Post
          It can be quite effective as proven in this video from a news program:

now this guy is boxer.. see the difference how he moves?

Comment

Originally posted by zoloft View Post
            no head punches allowed in kyokushin when you sparr..only kicks..boxing makes you get used to punches when u sparr.
            Theres no real difference between getting punched and kicked in the head, it all hurts the same. Punches to the face do happen fairly regularly (though not on purpose, it just happens). Also boxing allows you to defend behind gloves, which you wont have on the street, in kyokushin you dont have gloves so you adjust your guard accordingly to a more practical position when you have bare-knuckles.

I just prefer kyokushin for the fact it teaches you how to use every part of your body as a weapon, and has practical uses for getting out of grapples etc. Dont get me wrong I love boxing and a boxer against someone on the street will 99% come out on top.

Comment

Originally posted by kswizzy99 View Post
              well, I meant standing up and NOT grappling.
              That may be what you meant, but your statement was wrong. Slipping a punch and sweeping your opponent up and dumping him on his head has the same effect as delivering a knock out punch so you can't equate a boxer fighting off his back with a grappler fighting on his feet. Plus there are standing submissions you have to consider as well, as I said.

Comment

Originally posted by KingoftheAnts View Post
                Theres no real difference between getting punched and kicked in the head, it all hurts the same. Punches to the face do happen fairly regularly (though not on purpose, it just happens). Also boxing allows you to defend behind gloves, which you wont have on the street, in kyokushin you dont have gloves so you adjust your guard accordingly to a more practical position when you have bare-knuckles.

I just prefer kyokushin for the fact it teaches you how to use every part of your body as a weapon, and has practical uses for getting out of grapples etc. Dont get me wrong I love boxing and a boxer against someone on the street will 99% come out on top.

i think i know what kind of sparring u guys do. can i ask, do u guys hold your punches or actually hit with force.

in my chinese boxing group, our regular sparring is everything below the head. and we have these weak little chest protecters that were made in taiwan back in the 1960's - he brought them here when he moved from taiwan.

and of course we put on the headgear sometimes and go full into it.

so, guys, we retained the heavyweight belt this year, and had to stop a few fights because of headgear malfunction(the gear was litterally being ripped and cutting gashes into eyes and eyebrows.) i know my boys first opponent left in a stretcher. quite a few people went out the "back door" to the hospital.

who says chinese boxing doesnt work?

so, that was my update for u guys.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
                  i think i know what kind of sparring u guys do. can i ask, do u guys hold your punches or actually hit with force.

in my chinese boxing group, our regular sparring is everything below the head. and we have these weak little chest protecters that were made in taiwan back in the 1960's - he brought them here when he moved from taiwan.

and of course we put on the headgear sometimes and go full into it.

so, guys, we retained the heavyweight belt this year, and had to stop a few fights because of headgear malfunction(the gear was litterally being ripped and cutting gashes into eyes and eyebrows.) i know my boys first opponent left in a stretcher. quite a few people went out the "back door" to the hospital.

who says chinese boxing doesnt work?

so, that was my update for u guys.
                  It depends, we dont go full force when you're sparring against beginners, but generally the higher you go in grades the more force you use. No punches to the head, but you can kick to the head to your hearts content.

My teacher is a 9th dan and trained at the honbu under Mas Oyama. He's pretty old school in his methods and tries to get sparring as realistic as it can get without getting on the wrong side of the law.

Comment

Originally posted by KingoftheAnts View Post
                    It depends, we dont go full force when you're sparring against beginners, but generally the higher you go in grades the more force you use. No punches to the head, but you can kick to the head to your hearts content.

My teacher is a 9th dan and trained at the honbu under Mas Oyama. He's pretty old school in his methods and tries to get sparring as realistic as it can get without getting on the wrong side of the law.
                    wow, he trained under mas? damn, he must be a damn fine teacher.

like u, my teacher is old school and trained under hung i-hsiang in the '60's and 70's and a bit in the 80's.

yeah, we do take it easy on the begginners too. however, i dont think my boys took it easy on me lol. but then again, i had experience. so it was more fun for them i imagine.

my first sparring session with my curent crew i remember well. it felt like no matter what move i did, my arms were tied down to my body and i was being punched and elbowed backwards rapidly. that was when i first truly felt how the feeling of our style generally keeps it - although different people have different methods.

now, i am one of the somewhat older guys, but i still consider myself just passed a beginner in the scheme of things. as, i have met some of the top fighters of our lineage(and of this century) and they throw even the biggest, most experienced guys around like a walk in the park.

i have read that mas oyama learned some of our more secretive chinese boxing methods, so, even though mas was a fricken bull of a fighter already, he just got to be scary good combining his hardness with more fluent softer methods. yeah, i know mas was a man not to be messed with. the same is said about my grand teacher.

and, im sure u got my "bull" joke.

much respect man. i have a mas oyama book. excellent stuff. best karate stuff i have ever seen.
                    Last edited by j; 06-05-2009, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by j View Post
                      wow, he trained under mas? damn, he must be a damn fine teacher.

like u, my teacher is old school and trained under hung i-hsiang in the '60's and 70's and a bit in the 80's.

yeah, we do take it easy on the begginners too. however, i dont think my boys took it easy on me lol. but then again, i had experience. so it was more fun for them i imagine.

my first sparring session with my curent crew i remember well. it felt like no matter what move i did, my arms were tied down to my body and i was being punched and elbowed backwards rapidly. that was when i first truly felt how the feeling of our style generally keeps it - although different people have different methods.

now, i am one of the somewhat older guys, but i still consider myself just passed a beginner in the scheme of things. as, i have met some of the top fighters of our lineage(and of this century) and they throw even the biggest, most experienced guys around like a walk in the park.

i have read that mas oyama learned some of our more secretive chinese boxing methods, so, even though mas was a fricken bull of a fighter already, he just got to be scary good combining his hardness with more fluent softer methods. yeah, i know mas was a man not to be messed with. the same is said about my grand teacher.

and, im sure u got my "bull" joke.

much respect man. i have a mas oyama book. excellent stuff. best karate stuff i have ever seen.
                      Cheers mate, this is my teacher http://www.uskyokushin.com/hanshi.htm and this is where I train http://www.freewebs.com/wimbledonkyokushinkai/index.htm . I come across as a bit of a kyokushin fanboy but its hard not to be when you train under someone with as much experience as him.

I read about hung i-hsiang, he's incredible and it speaks for itself the fact that his students would dominate most tournaments by KO. I'm sure you're the same as me when you train under a teacher so experienced even though you know you'll never get anywhere near their level its inspires you to become as good as you can possibly be at your chosen style. Much respect to you aswell, I can see from a lot of your posts that its your passion!

I know what you mean about the first time you train, it seemed the moment I even moved my body a fraction i would be rocked back continuously, and no matter how fast i was everyone else was always moving at twice the speed I could reach and with double the power, and these were lower- middle grades! I am a beginner for all intents and purposes I'm 1st green belt (4th kyu) and i realise that whilst I am competent fighter, I am nowhere near the level of the higher grades because I get consistently humbled and it seems just when i think I'm starting to figure them out, they crank it up a gear and I'm back to square one.

lol at the bull, and hanshi can verify it, tbh the mind boggles because i wouldnt ever want to be in a confined space with a bull, let alone fight it with my bare hands, I cant imagine how confident in your own ability you would have to be to doing something like that.

Comment

Working...
                      X