Collapse
No announcement yet.

what's it like for you?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually go over my great aunts for thanksgiving and theres like 10-15 other family members over. It's usually civilized, so its not really like the movies. Christmas is when I see more of my family but even then its nothing crazy. My parents are getting divorced so now its just a little awkward.

Comment

almost everyone in my house works on thanksgiving....i do as well. so we sorta just do our own thang

Comment

This might come as a shock....but I have a seriously disfunctional family.

I got a cousin that can't figure out whether she likes guys or girls. She always shows up with a different flavor every year.

I have another cousin who is just scum and can't figure out that she needs to stop having kids because she can't take care of the ones she has.

I got an aunt and uncle that walk around with their noses in the air like their **** don't stink. They walk around acting like they have money but they live in a mobil home plugged up to their daughters house.

Badblood is married to one of my other cousins. That should say enough right there.

Of course we have the family drunk. But he is probably the coolest out of them all.

I could go on and on about my family.

But we do have a lot of fun when we get together. If we can keep all aunts from trying to compete and bickering with each other.

Comment

my thanksgiving is always a choreographed "we're such a good family" thing on my dad's side. we all act like the brady bunch, even though we're nuts.

my mom's side of the family is non existant, its me, her, her mom, my stepdad, and my brother and sister. me and my sister get wasted and have hilarious conversation, and its usually a good time. my mom's a damn good cook.

Comment

Thanksgiving I spend at my in-laws. Pretty normal people really. I just sit around and drink beer watching football until its time to eat.
            Now Christmas can get interesting. I also have an uncle who is always drunk. And I mean always. Either that or stoned or both. He can get a temper on him too. One year he slapped another uncle of mine (by marriage). I missed it thought.

Comment

I have a brother in Missouri who isn't coming home for Thanksgiving. My brother has to work - he's a cop. My kids will be spending the day with their mother and stepfather. In the afternoon, my girlfriend's kids who live with me will go to their fathers' houses for the holiday weekend.

My sister, mom and dad, grandparents, her grandma, her parents, and her brother will have Thanksgiving here for one "big meal". Some of them haven't met yet...

Comment

Originally posted by neils7147933 View Post
                I have a brother in Missouri who isn't coming home for Thanksgiving. My brother has to work - he's a cop. My kids will be spending the day with their mother and stepfather. In the afternoon, my girlfriend's kids who live with me will go to their fathers' houses for the holiday weekend.

My sister, mom and dad, grandparents, her grandma, her parents, and her brother will have Thanksgiving here for one "big meal". Some of them haven't met yet...
                And then you'll come and post on the Scene.

Like everyone else said, we dont have thanksgiving here but at Christmas it's pretty normal. Recently, in fact, it has died down a lot. My family has had a few disagreements and the whole arangement has changed really. Now it's just the immediate family who then meet the rest of the family on New Years or never at all. LOL!

In the 90s we had the best christmas's ever. I remember at least one white christmas from the 90s and every single year we used to have the whole family down other than my dad's side who were kinda seperate from us but not through hostility. My dad would visit us first and then go and visit them after or on another day.

My cousin is about the only one in my family who is my age, so me and him always just messed about like kids do. Then I have a few cousins who are a bit older than me but act young... like late 20s and still clubbin', DJ'in etc so they were always kool.

My family is great when they all get together, I think it was only within the last 5 years that we had a christmas where an argument broke out and it just killed the whole event. Was really sad.

Oh another thing I remember, always wearing a suit on Christmas. Even from like 6 I wore a suit and my sister wore a dress that we never touched for the whole year up until that point. Then we got older and it was straight in with the Adidas bottoms etc

Anyways, enough of my life.

Comment

My parents will come down and visit me and we'll go out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving. There's been no traditional large family gathering with a turkey for many years in my family. Most of the larger family has fallen out of contact.

Comment

Originally posted by * Feisty Wench View Post
                    so many people have dysfunctional families, i am wondering if the Thanksgiving dinners (as are often portrayed on television) with the whole extended family togetherness-thing really exists???

what are your thanksgivings usually like? is it a big deal or is it just eating a turkey meal with whoever is around???
                    I can honestly say I grew up in "americana". It was only after my father died 13 years ago that various rifts in the family began to surface....the extended family: aunts, uncles, cousins, and such. Such was the nature of my dad; he held things together.

Thanksgivings now usually take place at my sister and brother-in-law's house, seeing as how she's the best cook in the family. My other sister, my mom, my grandmother, and my wife and I attend.....and we all have a really good time, eating really good food: turkey, chicken-n-dumplings, cranberry sauce, hashbrown casserole, etc....with chocolate, custard, coconut-cream pies and banana puddiing for desert, usually.

Hardly anyone wants to go home.

Comment

My thanksgiving is just me and my immediate family but Christmas is a big event....we get the whole gang together (well basically just my moms side) because my Dad's side is way too disfunctional. Lemme think about this for a second...my dad was the oldest and was the only one who didn't end up either
                      a) alcoholic
                      b) Jehova's Witness
                      c) gold digger
                      d) pot smoker into his late 40s, lol
                      ...or all of the above.

Comment

Working...
                      X