Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After watching it again, its pretty sickening. He obviously has no regard for anyones safety. The blood is just pouring out too.

Comment

• Originally posted by boxingguy1226
      I saw the clip years back. It was very dumb for the kid to think he could just go in there with no experience what so ever. I know what happend to him was just wrong, however by putting himself in that situation he should have known better. New Jack is one messed up individual. I never really knew if he was just selling his character or if he was really like that in real life. hes always freaked me out in a way, especially after hearing abotu that incident.
      Is this about that kid who was murderd during a wrestling match ?

Comment

• Originally posted by THE REAL NINJA
        Is this about that kid who was murderd during a wrestling match ?
        No - haven't heard about any wrestling in-ring murders...

http://the-w.com/thread.php/id=7758

22 year old Erich Kulas passed away in his Craston, Rhode Island home last Tuesday. New wrestling fans may look at that, and shrug. At 22 years old he couldn't possibly have had anything to do with professional wrestling. But he did, and his short stint as a professional wrestler changed the scope of the sport forever.

November 23, 1996 in Revere, Massachusetts, ECW was running a house show. It had been promoted that ECW tag-team champions The Gangstas were to face D-Von Dudley and Axl Rotten. Unfortunately for ECW owner Paul Heyman, Rotten no showed the event, and he was left in a jam.

Meanwhile, a 17 year old kid by the name of Erich Kulas had dreams of being a star. Tipping the scales at 400 pounds, Kulas either had little, or no training to be a professional wrestler to that point - though he had watched it on television, so figured he could work a match with no problems.

Kulas with his father arrived to the ECW arena with a couple of midget wrestlers, and somehow worked their way backstage. Dressed in a bus driver's outfit, Kulas introduced himself to Paul Heyman, and offered his services as a professional wrestler. A piece of fake ID was enough proof that he was of age to be wrestling, and his story of being trained by Killer Kowalski was enough to sell Paul Heyman, who was in a bind. From this overweight kid in a bus driver's outfit, Heyman saw a man called Mass Transit, who would be a law enforcer type. It was perfect, since the current tag-team champions whole gimmick was telling authority to **** off.

Kulas discussed the match with Mustafa and New Jack, and confided in the both of them that he had no idea how to properly do a blade job, so bleeding was out of the question. New Jack told Kulas he could do it for him - and Kulas agreed.

So it came time for the match to begin, and New Jack had other plans. A hardcore match with all the typical weapons began, and took place. Finally, it came time for the blade job, and all hell broke loose.

New Jack produced a knife from his pocket, and drove a deep gash into Kulas' forehead. Immediately the 17 year old screamed out in pain - and it was clear something was wrong. New Jack had cut right through the muscle on the boy's forehead, and blood was literally squirting from his head all over the mat. New Jack began to smile, and continued to work over the kid - refusing to stop the match there.

From the front row, Kulas' father began screaming for mercy on his son. "He's only 17 years old!" were words that could be heard all the way to the ring. If the cut wasn't bad enough, it was abundantly clear by this point that the kid had no reason to be in the ring.

New Jack, a man with 4 justifiable homicides under his belt, finally finished the kid off with a top rope dive, culminating in a chair being driven into the head of Kulas. It was at this point the EMT's came to Kulas' rescue and spent over 10 minutes trying to stop the bleeding, which was squirting from open veins in his forehead. The ever concerned ECW crowd simply chanted "you fat ****" while Kulas was being treated.

Kulas survived, but received 50 stitches in his forehead. Meanwhile, nobody in the ECW locker room appeared to be the least bit concerned. The show continued, as if nothing had happened.

New Jack was questioned about the event afterwards, and he responded with the fact he didn't care if the kid was dead or alive. Paul Heyman simply passed off the event as another day in ECW. But it was abundantly clear to those who saw the tape that this was more than an Extreme act from a wrestling federation. This was assault with a deadly weapon, and it can be argued if there was an intent to kill as well.

The pay-per-view networks got wind of the event, and many backed off of ECW - not wanting to be part of any federation that could allow an underage kid to be butchered without any regard for his safety. They did manage to go through with their first pay-per-view, though several companies didn't pick it up based on this one event.

And Kulas? He didn't get a single phone call from ECW, or anyone on their roster to check up on his condition. The assault, coupled with the mental stress he was feeling was more than enough to take ECW to court.

Erich Kulas never got a dime from ECW. He changed the story of the events that transpired, and couldn't keep it straight. Kulas may have been able to walk off with a sizable chunk of money due to the events of that night. However Kulas, for whatever reason, was caught in a series of lies on the stand, and wound up losing anything that was coming his way.

ECW wound up receiving plenty of negative press, and wasn't able to go national until late 1999 - at which point the company was more or less dead in the water anyway. The incident with Kulas may or may not have kept them from getting a television deal until then. The first ECW pay-per-view was not carried in Canada, and they weren't picked up for a long time.

Erich Kulas is a name that will not go down in wrestling history - though in his one night was able to receive more press, and alter the face of the sport more than most trained athletes ever will.

Comment

• After reading about New Jack on a couple of sites I am now convinced this guy is crazy, maybe crazier than Mike Tyson. The fact that he stabbed a man nine times in a match, just because the guy said he wanted to bleed is unbelievable. Even if someone pleads with you to make him bleed in the ring, you have to be one sick person to actually go through with it. He claims to stun gun Vic Grimes with a real gun eventhough it was "off script." He also said he threw him as hard as he could off of a scaffold so he could miss the twelve tables placed below and fall to the concrete floor, so he could die. Theres plenty of video footage on youtube.com if anyone is curious. Theres even a video of him showing the "stabbing incident" and laughing about it in the process.

Comment

• Did anyone see the documentary Beyond The Ropes (I think that was the name) that came out in 2000? New Jack was in some footage and he didn't come across as the most stable of people (to put it mildly).

Comment

• Originally posted by jason100x
              Did anyone see the documentary Beyond The Ropes (I think that was the name) that came out in 2000? New Jack was in some footage and he didn't come across as the most stable of people (to put it mildly).
              Beyond the Mat...

Comment

• Yeah that's the same kid I thought I read that he had died or maybe he just has long term effects from it now. I can't remember were I seen it or what the story was.

Comment

• Originally posted by neils7147933
                  Beyond the Mat...
                  That's right, that's what it was i couldn't remember the title.

Comment

• http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...F538F221391625

The Professor's Position - The Death of Sports Entertainment
                    Report by Professor Newton Gimmick on 07/24/2006 at 12:46 AM

Welcome to a very special edition of The Professor's Position. This won't be under our new format. If you're looking for that format, check out my last column which can be read by clicking here!

Why am I putting this little piece together? Well it's something that needs to be said. It HAS been said before, but I think it's often considered a joke. So now I call upon any and all wrestling fans to come together to battle our greatest enemy yet. Vince McMahon.

The Professor's Position On: Vince McMahon

For all his faults, many of us wrestling fans must thank Vince. Vince McMahon gave us plenty of great ideas. He took Wrestlemania to heights that most promoters never dreamed it would be. He gave us Hulk Hogan (Although Hogan actually was as popular in AWA), he gave us the Undertaker (And with it some of the worst stories in the history of wrestling), and he pioneered concepts like the Royal Rumble and Survivor Series. Vince for good or bad, DID do a lot for Pro-Wrestling. I won't take that away from him. Although in the process he killed off the entire territory system, Vince did something that in all reality someone else would have likely eventually done. I suspect Vince did as good of a job as anyone else would have. Maybe if Verne Gagne had been put in Vince's shoes, perhaps he would have failed. Maybe Ted Turner's WCW would have turned out much like the WWE, but still went out of business due to AOL/Time Warner. So I don't blame Vince for any of his past sins. You've been abolished of those crimes Mr. McMahon. Now though, I pose a new question... What have you done for me lately?

Vince McMahon wants to kill Pro-Wrestling. He always has, but now he has the power to do it. WCW has folded. ECW has folded. Wrestling itself is more or less dead. Ask people to name something about wrestling. They'll probably say "WWF". Vince has taken wrestling and molded it into his baby. Now he wants to continue to mold it til it's no longer WRESTLING, at all.

First he changed the name of his wrestlers to superstars. This seems like a good idea. It made them seem big. Yet in the past 5-10 years he's changed their names to "Sports Entertainers". The word wrestling is almost never used on WWE TV. Sports Entertainment itself isn't a bad word to describe wrestling, but when it takes the place of wrestling, you have a problem. Imagine watching a football game and they referred to is not as football, but NFL. We all know that the NFL isn't the only brand of football on the market. Yet WWE wants us to believe that only the WWE exists, and wrestling isn't wrestling at all, but Sports Entertainment.

Think I'm looking too much into this? Look at ECW. They aren't "wrestlers", they are "rebels". Think that's just a coincidence? ECW went through FOUR names before settling on rebels. At first it was ECW wrestlers, then quickly changed to extremists, and then several other things before finally settling on rebels. You see, ECW can't be wrestlers. Because ECW isn't a brand of wrestling, it's a brand of Sports Entertainment. Catching a theme yet?

So okay, Vince seeks to change the name of wrestling. No reason to hate him. So what else has he done?

The Kiss My Ass Club? Main events have been reduced to who will kiss Vince's ass. Can you imagine this passing in 1985? The main event of a Saturday Night's Main Event (Hogan versus Andre? NO! It's Andre kissing Vince's ass!), or a NWA Saturday Night being someone kissing another man's ass? Yet this has been the main event of RAW more then once. No one seems to notice, because Vince has slowly spoon fed us this crap until we believe that's what happens on a wrestling... Err, Sports Entertainment show. That's main event worthy now.

Remember Kane's See No Evil movie? Suddenly on TV Kane tried to rip people's eye out. For reasons unknown, we could hear KANE'S THOUGHTS! Thankfully the fans **** on this angle so bad that WWE was forced to come up with a solution. Sadly the solution ended up being a duplicate Kane, with little to no back story. Still that was better then hearing Kane's thoughts, and Kane being a real killer like in the movie. However, over time this will become acceptable. Sooner then later it will fly. Just like the Kiss My Ass Club.

The WWE magazine now focuses entirely on things that DON'T deal with wrestling. I just read the latest WWE magazine. There are a handful of mentions of wrestling. The rest of the magazine is movie reviews, tips for picking up chicks, video game news and all the other crap that's in every other magazine out there. It's not a wrestling magazine. It's Maxim with wrestlers. They even have the nerve to show pictures of Kenta Kobashi and Mistico from CMLL & NOAH, and MAKE FUN OF THEM! They poke fun of REAL wrestlers, and then follow it up with a column about Bobby Lashley's workout routine. (See Also Barry Bonds Flax Seed Oil.)

If Vince could stop all wrestling on his show today, he would. Wrestling is just a backseat for his freak/variety show. Unfortunately, fans don't tune in to see his crap. They tune in to see wrestling, so he has to keep the wrestling there. He peppers wrestling in-between his true babies, the skits and stupid angles. Slowly but surely he's squeezed the very life from Pro-Wrestling. In a 2 hour broadcast of RAW, he's able to get away with sometimes as little as 15 minutes of wrestling. When he gets a PRIMETIME, NBC special, he manages to only have 20 minutes of wrestling. Why? Shouldn't he put his best matches on display? Of course he should. But he doesn't care about matches or wrestling. Instead he put his variety acts on display. Thankfully the ratings bombed, but it shows his mentality. Hide the wrestling, shove the crap to the forefront.

So what can we do? How can we stop Vince before it's too late?

We as wrestling fans have to TAKE WRESTLING BACK!

He's pissed on the legacy of WCW. He's given us a new "ECW" that doesn't even have hardcore matches. He's reinvisioned every element of wrestling, and if he continues in 10 years wrestling will be gone.

There is thankfully a kryptonite to this Superman. TNA! How can TNA stop him? The more TNA succeeds on all the right things, the AJ Styles, the Samoa Joes and by God the TAG TEAMS, then the more Vince loses his power. Show people what wrestling really is. It's not guys kissing a grown man's ass, it's guys exchanging wrestling holds, hitting each other with steel chairs, and at the very most shaving one another's head after months of feuding. It's not cheerleaders dumping green skime and poop on one another. So it's time we take our product back.

Thank you Vince for the past 20 years. You did a bang-up job. Sure you made some mistakes, but you gave us a lot in return. Still, your time has come and gone. We want our wrestling back. You've squandered our emotions, and we're tired of being forcefed your lousy Sports Entertainment. We want wrestling. We want action. We want it NON-STOP! SO give us Spike TV. Give us Christopher Daniels. Give us Sting. Give us matches that don't involve God as a tag team partner. GIVE US TNA!

If you share the same opinion that I do, you must help me. Go out and fight the cancer that has infected Pro-Wrestling. TNA must exist, or else Vince will win. He's already got a 50 year headstart. Now his true intentions have been revealed, and it's time to revoke him as the King of wrestling.

Thanks for the memories Vince, but we're not going to take it anymore.

Shove a stake through that vampire's heart. Make that stake be TNA, and let him know that you're tired of him sucking the lifeblood away from the sport we love. Send him back to the depths of hell from which he came.

The Wrap Up:

In closing, I hope you enjoyed this little tirade and maybe it will fire up even some of you WWE fans who realize this is not the product you watched 5, 10, 15 years ago. As always you can contact me at ProfNewtonGimmick@yahoo.com. Until then, Professor out!

Comment

• Great post! I always thought wrestling was better off when Vince had some competition. If he doesn't have an enemy league to compete with, then he doesn't have much motivation to put out a good product and he has been known to slack off and at times (frequently) have a pretty much unwatchable product. The late '90s peak of WWE came about largely in response to WCW's mid '90s success with NWO and later, Goldberg. I remember around 1999 - 2000 when I could actually look forward to Raw and watch it with my friends and be entertained and then a few years later when I would struggle to watch an episode or pick up a book and start reading when it was on.

Comment

Working...
                      X