No announcement yet.

Marquez v Diaz card

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Philfy View Post
    Lol. Your standards are obviously way too high.

How good was that Pirog KO! One of the best knockouts of the year so far.
    I missed it because I was at the bar trying to get the commentary on the sound system instead of Savage Garden, which cut in during the second round. I was the only person in the room watching the boxing so they turned the commentary off for pop music. Looked awesome on the replays though!

By the time the main fight came on the place was crawling with kids - who brings their kids to a pub? - and though the commentary was turned up, I couldn't hear **** for all the noisy arcade games and air hockey being played behind me.

First and last time at one of these garbage chain pubs.

Comment

Originally posted by ColWallace View Post
      I missed it because I was at the bar trying to get the commentary on the sound system instead of Savage Garden, which cut in during the second round. I was the only person in the room watching the boxing so they turned the commentary off for pop music. Looked awesome on the replays though!

By the time the main fight came on the place was crawling with kids - who brings their kids to a pub? - and though the commentary was turned up, I couldn't hear **** for all the noisy arcade games and air hockey being played behind me.

Ahh well atleast you didnt have to pay $50 to watch it look on the bright side =]

Comment

Ah when I went, they had one of the function rooms working with a big projector screen. That was for Floyd though.

I know your pain about getting enough sound. I don't know how many times I've had to argue with old piss-heads who plonk themselves down and want to watch replays of rugby league.

I've tried many places, but I'm yet to find a venue that has boxing as a priority. Victoria Hotel @ Annandale and Star City come the closest I think.

Comment

My rundown of the some of the fights for those who may have missed them.

Joel Casamayor v "The Ghost" Guerrero was a bit of a boring fight, more technical than anything with Guerrero taking centre ring and stalking his opponent looking to land his power left hand. Casamayor was being rather cagey, moving a lot.

The ghost rocked Casa early on a couple of times, but the veteran kept his feet and his composure to stay alive. I was expecting Guerrero to pressure him more after this, but he never seemed to put his foot on the gas, instead deciding to coast the rest of the way.
          In the final round, Casa landed a stiff jab on the chin of Guerrero to drop him to the canvas. Guerrero wasn't really hurt and got up to finish the fight, winning by a wide UD on all the judges cards.

Dmitri Pirog v Danny 'wingnut' Jacobs was my favorite fight. Suprisingly, Jacobs was on the back foot for the entire fight, with Pirog pressing the action. Jacobs was the fighter who had big wraps on him, physically he looked great. He had the quicker hands and could throw flashy combinations, but this didn't faze the Russian a bit.

I thought wingnut looked kinda uncomfortable going through 5 rounds, he spent a lot of time bing pressured on the ropes. In the 5th, Pirog finally caught up with him. Jacobs was backed against the ropes and Pirog shimmied in, switching his feet up and then landed an absolute bomb on the chin of Jacobs who hit the canvas out cold.

Marquez v Diaz went as expected. Marquez was superior in every facet of the sport. He was the better boxer and the better brawler. He rocked Diaz quite a few times, but Diaz managed to survive. Marquez's right eye swelled up towards the end of the fight and he was unable to finish Diaz. Had his vision been good I'm confident he would've finished him.

Sakio Bika was disqualified in the 1st round. He had Mendy backed against the ropes and unloaded a big shot catching Mendy on the temple. Mendy dropped to a knee, hurt. Bika then threw another huge shot-an uppercut, practically knocking Mendy's head off, who then fell face forward on the canvas unconscious.

Joe Cortez then correctly ruled that Bika had hit him while he was down, thus a DQ. It was similar to the Dirrell v Abraham DQ a while back. Where Bika goes from here, I'm not sure. Things just always seem to go wrong for him.

Comment

Thanks for the run down Philfy.

Comment

I thought Diaz was doing well in the early rounds and it appeared to be building into another sizzling contest. But that Marquez uppercut rocked him bad in the fourth. Looked like he was going out there but he hung on and was noticeably gun-shy for the rest of the fight. It was a poor strategy trying to outbox the master boxer, and not apparently what he trained for.

I also couldn't understand why Diaz wasn't throwing the big left hook that troubled Marquez so much in the first fight. With Marquez's right eye closing it was the obvious weapon.

I think Diaz still beats most guys in the lightweight division, but maybe he's crossed that threshold where boxing stops giving and starts taking away.

Casamayor looked terrible. I think The Ghost took it easy on him out of respect for the old man. Fight was a stinker.

The good news is Marquez has expressed a willingness to defend against Katsidis. Kats was there all weekend shooting questions at the press conference and at the post-fight debriefing on Golden Boy's Twitter page. The man is keen for Marquez. Let's hope it happens.

Comment

The good news is Marquez has expressed a willingness to defend against Katsidis. Kats was there all weekend shooting questions at the press conference and at the post-fight debriefing on Golden Boy's Twitter page. The man is keen for Marquez. Let's hope it happens.
                I'm excited that this fight actually has a chance at taking place. It'll be great for Aussie boxing, and great for the sport in general. I think it's the best fight that can happen at lightweight.

Katsidis is still with GBP yeah? I know they are really pushing for Marquez to face Khan, though he doesn't seem particularly interested. I think he still feels a bit betrayed when they tried to serve him up to Khan on a platter a while ago.

It's most unlikely the Pacquaio fight will eventuate for him either, so Kats is in with a great shot.

The question is, can an improved, prime, brimming with confidence Katsidis beat the Marquez we saw on the w/e?

Comment

Not good for Bika, not good at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Philfy View Post
                    The question is, can an improved, prime, brimming with confidence Katsidis beat the Marquez we saw on the w/e?
                    I'm not sure he could beat the Diaz we saw on the weekend, but there'll be a lots of toe to toe banging, blood, guts and drama - everything you want in a fight - and we'll know our man gave his maximum against a Mexican warrior and the best in his division.

It's whether he can drag Marquez into a signature Katsidis war and how Marquez stands up to that at age 37.

Comment

Working...
                    X