No announcement yet.

So do you believe in God or not?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    See, I know you're just trying to be condescending, but "a little slower with fewer words".... I can read as slowly as I want to. It's writing on a screen, you daft cunt.

I'm sorry that I clearly wasn't able to grasp the subtle nuances and complexities of your post, it clearly went over my head. But just as a tip.... don't try and put down someone else's vocabulary in a post where you type "SMH".
    For one, there were no subtle nuances. It was very clear, plain language. For another, it wasn't your vocabulary I was "putting down", but rather your lack of reading comprehension, which your response to said "put down" clearly demonstrates.

You've asked a question, and I answer it. You latched on to a parenthetical word to try to twist my point, which I corrected. Now, you've insulted me. For what?

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
      For one, there were no subtle nuances. It was very clear, plain language. For another, it wasn't your vocabulary I was "putting down", but rather your lack of reading comprehension, which your response to said "put down" clearly demonstrates.

You've asked a question, and I answer it. You latched on to a parenthetical word to try to twist my point, which I corrected. Now, you've insulted me. For what?
      ur always angry all the time lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Split Decision View Post
        ur always angry all the time lmao
        LMAO!

Comment

Here is a novel idea:

Why do we have to have a belief stamped upon us? I mean most of us, God be willing (pardon the pun), will not pass away as an infant... We are, through whatever process exists, gifted with a host of experiences that should allow us to come to an understanding regarding this question.

I spent some formative time living in a Buddhist Monastery and the issue of God never came up. this was because, apparently when trying to live a life where impermanence, desire for permanence, grasping/attaching oneself to things to bring us salvation, were issues...the issue of God was not important.

Think about this situation Carefully...It is certainly not an insult to God... its just that when a group of individuals, faced with how to deal with being thrust into a world with certain conditions, needing to get along, to gain a measure of peace and balance...God becomes a remote part of the immanence of this world. Instead of "faith," the operative term in Buddhist Sangha was "Practice."

My own feeling at this point is that the Most High reveals itself to me as a spiritual presence. But it cannot be the reason for my actions... Like the Buddha rallied against, and I agree, YOU CANNOT HELP THAT OLD LADY ACROSS THE STREET FOR GOD'S CURRENCY! It has to be a sincere desire to see better for all living things and the suffering they must deal with.

This world is a place to do penance. It is not a nice place...We are probably here because we did something off kilter. Does not mean that we are spiritually forsaken IMO, just that we have work to do. Part of that work to me? is exploring what I believe, which could change tomorrow I suppose.

With that said on the specific issue of God:

1) Belief in God has not generally been a force that makes us better individuals, at least not as an isolated variable. Never the less when it does make better people, more power to them!

2) There are no atheists in foxholes...The human mind does not comprehend eternity very well... It is often a type of macho posturing to claim to be an Atheist, understand that we are a simple, exstinguishing entity and that is it. If one truly comes to this understanding, then more power to them as well as the believer in God.

3) I believe most of us, whether we know it, or not, are Agnostics. And truth be told? Taking a position on God's existence will not, today, change the conditions under which I operate...So why not let life teach me, educate me about spirituality and a higher power?

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post
            To be fair, I don't believe anyone was trying to convince you of anything.
            It was simply an opinion shared, meant in no way to be apologetic.
            I purposely didnt quote anyone.
            Just explaining the way i see things.

The computer analogy is a common one, but i think its flawed.
            Personally, I think it's a bit foolish to debate the existence of God, certainly on a boxing forum. It's a personal choice that need not be argued nor persuaded.
            Not that there isn't a place for apologetics and discussion, some are called to specifically that.
            I just wouldn't think there are any words, analogies, or illustrations, on this platform that would convince anyone of such a profound, life altering belief. It's generally an event, action, or intense experience that shapes such beliefs. There's no logical, "Oh now I get it" explanation.
            Believe or don't, it's totally up to you. There is no debate.
            I think the TS's original intent was just to see how many do and how many don't, by way of a poll.
            I know i am fascinated by discussing reasons for or against beliefs.
            I think its almost impossible for a discussion not to break out. But people obviously want to debate these issues.
            "Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again."
            “In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening withold not your hands, for you know not which shall prosper whether this or that, or whether both alike will be good”
            I tried reading that bible quote and it got me thinking how difficult it is to understand the word of God.
            Is there a version that is translated into plain English?

Comment

Originally posted by The Noose View Post
              "Cast your bread upon the waters, for after many days you will find it again."
              “In the morning sow your seed, and in the evening withold not your hands, for you know not which shall prosper whether this or that, or whether both alike will be good”

I tried reading that bible quote and it got me thinking how difficult it is to understand the word of God.
              Is there a version that is translated into plain English?
              I like to use the Amplified Version and The Living Bible for more plain English. Of course there are Commentaries and Study Guides/Exegesis to dig deeper.
              Those verses are from Ecclesiastes 11. They get used to illustrate different principles. From an evangelical standpoint, we can sow seed or "cast our bread upon the waters".
              Basically, we can share truths from the Bible, Godly principles, Words of Wisdom, whatever, and we may never know exactly what was fruitful or took root. Ya just throw it out there, and whoever eats it, eats it. It's not my responsibility to make him eat. Of course genuine interest is always received.
              It's a lot like the parable of the Sower and the Seed.
              The farmer in this parable planted seeds in four different types of soil. Only one of the soils produced a good crop. Jesus explained that the soils represented people’s hearts. When the word of God is planted in a fertile heart then good things will be produced in the life of that person.

In Ecclesiastes 11, He was describing an investment that will come back to us particularly in troubled times therefore we are not to withhold giving of ourselves, our gifts, talents and resources.

Another saying we have: "Some sow, some water, and some harvest - ultimately it's God who gives the increase"

Ya know what I mean bruh ?
              Last edited by CauliflowerEars; 01-10-2020, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                LMAO!
                You sir... Are an angry white male!!!! sorry could not resist.

Comment

I don’t believe in a deity, but also since we can’t prove exactly what it was that created earth and all that, I still wouldn’t say I’m a complete atheist. I believed for a time as a kid when my mom used to make me go to church, but I remember being middle school age and starting to not believe in it anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                    You sir... Are an angry white male!!!! sorry could not resist.
                    I am an angry white male making the middle age transition into a grumpy old man. It's a dangerous mixture

Comment

Originally posted by sweetpea87 View Post
                      I don’t believe in a deity, but also since we can’t prove exactly what it was that created earth and all that, I still wouldn’t say I’m a complete atheist. I believed for a time as a kid when my mom used to make me go to church, but I remember being middle school age and starting to not believe in it anymore.
                      And honestly that's normal.

The Bible/belief in god can be compared to the belief in Professional Wrestling in a way. There's a ton of adults that love wrestling, knowing it's scripted, but they also know that the injuries in wrestling can be real, so they still defend wrestling and will argue that sure it's scripted, but it's not exactly "fake" because physical injuries happen by mistake. There are even more kids that love wrestling, and even believe it's real, everything about it. But as these kids grow up, they realize it's all "fake", and they kinda grow out of it and stop watching it.

Some kids feel like they were lied to about god/bible and they learn this themselves through experience and common sense at a variety of ages.

I will say this though, as a non-believer, I think you're life would be better as a believer. But only if you actually behave in good faith at all times, in every situation, and you really do look out for other people no matter what, and want good health, good wealth, and want everyone to live in prosperity. And that is not the life that many believers lead unfortunately, so they are nothing but fakes. A lot of believers, I feel are nothing but fakes and their behavior does not align with what they preach. But no worries, they're not going to hell when they die, they're not going to heaven either, they aren't going any where and they know it...which is why they have so much hatred for other people.

Comment

Working...
                      X