No announcement yet.

Texas teacher under fire for telling Hispanic student to ‘speak English’

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curtis Harper View Post
    Why would an American NOT speak English is certain settings ?

If a meeting is being held, I can guarantee you 9-10 times the language is English.
    Unless the boss/owner prefers a different language that is.
    If you're in a place of business, a federal building, calling a number for help, like to help you fix your cable that went out, whatever, yes English is required. No problem with that.

When I'm with my friends, family, minding my own business, talking amongst each other, guess what, I'll speak in whatever goddamn language I want.

That's what I don't get with the racists out there complaining. Where's the law being broken?

Comment

Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
      If you're in a place of business, a federal building, calling a number for help, like to help you fix your cable that went out, whatever, yes English is required. No problem with that.

When I'm with my friends, family, minding my own business, talking amongst each other, guess what, I'll speak in whatever goddamn language I want.

That's what I don't get with the racists out there complaining. Where's the law being broken?
      Obviously (the bold). Heck, there are entire ethnic communities that enclose themselves from the outside world. When they are forced to venture outside, there is a total breakdown of communication. Americans are forced to try and understand them instead of vice versa.

When dealing with personal shlt, speak what you want.
      When dealing with a specific setting (classroom, work or if someone is speaking to you in English), speak English. Don't be that one person trying to cause a ruckus.

Americans who go to foreign countries to live and neglect to learn the new language I'm sure are treated like the fools that they are. Why should it be different here ?

Most cyber forums, communication is in English.

Comment

That's bullshit and you know it. This is their country. They should feely be able to speak whatever language they want without you white colonizers telling them what language they should speak.

Funny how Latinos are the only ones being singled out by whites for speaking another language, I bet if you or that teacher would've seen or heard a foreigner that's white, speaking German, Russian, French, whatever, no one would ever dream of telling them to speak "'Murican"

There were like hundreds of tribes scattered all throughout this un defined borderless land so what part is exactly “their” country? Some small tribe in Arizona who never was even aware that present day Northeast even existed and didn’t even understand the concept of country can claim NY as their “country”?

Also, Spanish, just like French, Russian, or German is a white European language. Before the Europeans arrived the natives didn’t even have a coherent system of writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
          Another issue is waving flags.

The right get their panties in a bunch over Latinos waving their ethnic flags. They hate it when mexican wave Mexican flags. Your in a America wave the American flag.

It’s all good when Irish flags are waved and bag pipes are blaring doe...

The only time I’ve seen the Irish flag being waived is during St. Patrick’s day. Which by that token, on Cinco De Mayo, wave all the Mexican flags you like, I’ll even wave them with you. But aside from special occasions like holidays and parades, this is the home of the Stars and Stripes.

Comment

It's a free country. Unless it's against school policy to speak Spanish in the classroom I don't understand how it would be even relevant to address the point he was speaking Spanish.

Comment

You said Spanish was primarily spoken by whites in Spain.

I took exception to that.

You made it a race thing. Which in reality that is the crux of the problem.
              you need to go back and re-read the article then re-read my posts since you've missed the point entirely. the student and the latino council immediately played the race card when 1. the teacher never said anything about race and 2. spanish is a white European language. so where's the racism?
              Last edited by John Barron; 11-28-2019, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
                The only time I’ve seen the Irish flag being waived is during St. Patrick’s day. Which by that token, on Cinco De Mayo, wave all the Mexican flags you like, I’ll even wave them with you. But aside from special occasions like holidays and parades, this is the home of the Stars and Stripes.
                Bag pipes be blaring when police die. In traditional garb. Not that i have a problem with that...but it’s more than just nyc parade.

This is the home of the stars and strips. I see no problem in waving other flags to show ethic pride.

Comment

Originally posted by John Barron View Post
                  you need to go back and re-read the article then re-read my posts since you've missed the point entirely. the student and the latino council immediately played the race card when 1. the teacher never said anything about race and 2. spanish is a white European language. so where's the racism?
                  Ok. I got the European language point. But we know Spanish isn’t viewed as an European language here. It viewed as a brown language.

Just like illegal immigration is viewed as a brown issue only stemming from southern border In reality it’s an issue on the northern border and an over staying of visa problem as well.

I’ve never seen white Spaniards get told to stop talking Spanish here. It’s the brown folks that have to deal with the issue.

But to your point. No issue of race in this particular occasion imo. Radicals will always argue radical sh it. On both sides.

Comment

Bag pipes be blaring when police die. In traditional garb. Not that i have a problem with that...but it’s more than just nyc parade.

This is the home of the stars and strips. I see no problem in waving other flags to show ethic pride.
                    The difference is, Mexican flags are waved as a form of protest and rejecting any form of assimilation. Look at the border crossing caravans from earlier this year, all waving other country’s gulags while insisting they be granted asylum. If their countries are so great that they wave their flags the border, why not just stay there?

Comment

Triggered snowflakes are the ignorant fools that get bent out of shape over someone speaking another language, when this country doesn't even have an official language, and when there's no law against speaking another language.

Tell me what law they were breaking, or how it was inconveniencing anyone if they were speaking amongst themselves.

If I'm amongst friends, family, etc and want to speak Spanish, guess what bìtch, I'm speaking whatever in the hell I want.

Like I've said plenty of times, I especially like to speak Spanish in the vicinity of whites, I wish a motherfücker would tell me something.
                      No one said you can’t speak Spanish among family and friends. And yes, he official language of this country is English. In a classroom setting these kids are barely literate in their first language, let alone English.

Comment

Working...
                      X