No announcement yet.

Things That Cost Unnecessarily Too Much

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
    So you are referring to one of a kind watches?

nope

the daytona is not rare

they are unobtainable, which is different

Rolex make approximately 1.1 MILLION watches per year

not sure what % of those production figures relate to the daytona, but they make THOUSANDS..... every year

but, TENS of THOUSANDS want one

same with the 5711..... it is not limited by numbers, it is limited by production

same with the Tributo

same with most AP models, they are limited by production

but, AP also do a lot of limited editions..... not 1-off watches, just low numbers..... so if you developed a relationship with a AP dealer, you would also get access to those.....

like this.....

To celebrate its 25th anniversary, Audemars Piguet is issuing a re-edition inspired by the 1993 model. This is accompanied by two new limited series of the Royal Oak Offshore Tourbillon Chronograph: one in stainless steel and one in 18-carat pink gold.
    I don't think you guys realize how HUGE the mechanical watch industry has become..... high-enders will be lining up for that watch

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
      nope

the daytona is not rare

they are unobtainable, which is different

Rolex make approximately 1.1 MILLION watches per year

not sure what % of those production figures relate to the daytona, but they make THOUSANDS..... every year

but, TENS of THOUSANDS want one

same with the 5711..... it is not limited by numbers, it is limited by production

same with the Tributo

same with most AP models, they are limited by production

but, AP also do a lot of limited editions..... not 1-off watches, just low numbers..... so if you developed a relationship with a AP dealer, you would also get access to those.....

like this.....

I don't think you guys realize how HUGE the mechanical watch industry has become..... high-enders will be lining up for that watch
      But if they aren't planning to turn around and sell them back, they are suckers just like those folks who over pay for handbags, right?

Comment

But if they aren't planning to turn around and sell them back, they are suckers just like those folks who over pay for handbags, right?

umm.....

the filler pieces maybe..... to build a relationship with an AD

somebody walking around with a Patek Nautilus on their wrist will not be too concerned about someone calling him a few names..... he will be a very happy individual, nobody needs to feel sorry for him

like I said earlier...... MOST collectors who are on that waiting list, will never sell that watch..... if they were concerned about money they would be buying stocks or w/e

there will be a few flippers, sure..... but for the most part the 5711 is a keeper

they really are exquisite

do you not see the value ?

at $30k, I mean..... not $65-70k, which is ridiculous

Comment

no modern Pateks sell for double their retail, or even close..... other than the nautilus

vintage is different..... they can appreciate unbelievably, much more than double

a Sky Moon Tourbillon will increase in value by about $250k, simply by purchasing the watch and walking out the door..... but they cost $1.2m (million), and are pretty much unavailable..... they are mostly reserved for Patek collectors, guys who Patek are sure will not flip them..... the watch is application only, you have to write to Patek and request the right to purchase the piece..... but very few applications are granted

I heard that one sold to a private collector for $1.45m

with the nautilus it is all about the reference 5711, the steel model..... any color dial, but blue is the most valued/valuable

the waiting list is something like 8-10 years

like I said, a patek nautilus retails for around $29k, and sells for $60-70k..... I saw one a while back advertised for $66k.....

google the retail to check the new price, which will be $29k + change..... and then check Chrono24/govberg watches, or even e-bay etc..... to see what they sell for SECOND-HAND

it is the world's most popular mechanical wrist-watch

the world's second most popular wrist-watch is the daytona

the model in question is also the current steel version, sorry I am unsure of the reference number..... either dial white/black, but the white dial (panda) is the most popular, and slightly more expensive

the daytona retails for $12k + change..... and they sell for $20-25k, with the most expensive I have heard selling for $26k just a few weeks ago on Federico talks watches

modern daytona's are 40mm, a great size..... you are obviously not a bantamweight

not traditionally a big Hublot fan, although now that they are making their own movements they are proving to be innovative and creative..... they do make some nice pieces, no question

not surprised to hear that you found a gold daytona in a boutique..... yellow/rose, maybe even white gold if you are lucky (because I will give you the tip, THAT is the model to have)..... but you will not find steel, not anywhere in the world..... that waiting list is so long that rolex stopped taking orders early last year, they LITERALLY will not take your deposit..... the waiting list is at least 5 years +

I love the daytona..... but to any real aficionado, a daytona is just the deposit on a nautilus..... like a $10 bill is just a beer voucher

they are both definitely independent..... Patek Philippe are the only major watch-brand still owned by the founding family, the Stern's..... the CEO used to be Thierry Stern, but I can't remember who the new Stern is.....

and rolex is really weird..... it was founded by Hans Wilsdorf, but is now a trust..... the company is setup really funny, I can't remember the full details but there is a story to it

rolex AD's (authorized dealers) have a really specific contract with rolex..... they have to purchase certain shop-fittings and place them in certain positions within the store, or they violate the terms of their dealership..... not sure about the details of patek AD's etc, but definitely a different company

rumor has it that patek was put up for sale about a week ago

I don't live and breathe this stuff, but I haven't heard anything within the last few days to confirm/deny that rumor

Super Greent. Thanks for the info.

Yup I’m not a bantamweight. Im a heavy.

Strange you say the Daytona is 40mm. I have a movado sapphire that’s is 38 and doesn’t look small. Anyway. Yes the Daytona I looked at was rose gold with brown dial and brown leather strap. I love that combo.

The Hublot I ended up with was a Arturo Fuente special edition. Rose gold brown calf strap. Forbidden x tobacco leaf dial with Hublots in house tourbillon movement. Only 13 in the world made. Paid out the ass for it. I wanted that one special piece to represent my success to myself in what in do. I wish i knew how to post pix here. I’d tack it out the safe deposit box at the bank and post a pic.

I’ll look up the pateks you posted about. See what they are about.

Are you in the business?

Comment

This isnt making sense.

if it is avavlable for $30k, why would someone else go and pay $65k for it?
            That’s it it’s not available. These company’s mostly make them by hand and thus don’t make many. Supply and demand.

What confuses me is why would Rolex not increase the price to match the secondary market?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
              Super Greent. Thanks for the info.

Yup I’m not a bantamweight. Im a heavy.

Strange you say the Daytona is 40mm. I have a movado sapphire that’s is 38 and doesn’t look small. Anyway. Yes the Daytona I looked at was rose gold with brown dial and brown leather strap. I love that combo.

The Hublot I ended up with was a Arturo Fuente special edition. Rose gold brown calf strap. Forbidden x tobacco leaf dial with Hublots in house tourbillon movement. Only 13 in the world made. Paid out the ass for it. I wanted that one special piece to represent my success to myself in what in do. I wish i knew how to post pix here. I’d tack it out the safe deposit box at the bank and post a pic.

I’ll look up the pateks you posted about. See what they are about.

Are you in the business?

holy shlt..... NICE !!

that is actually one of their nicer pieces

not really into a lot of their sports-watch designs, too big and too busy

nope, I'm not in the business..... it's just an interest

Comment

umm.....

the filler pieces maybe..... to build a relationship with an AD

somebody walking around with a Patek Nautilus on their wrist will not be too concerned about someone calling him a few names..... he will be a very happy individual, nobody needs to feel sorry for him

like I said earlier...... MOST collectors who are on that waiting list, will never sell that watch..... if they were concerned about money they would be buying stocks or w/e

there will be a few flippers, sure..... but for the most part the 5711 is a keeper

they really are exquisite

do you not see the value ?

at $30k, I mean..... not $65-70k, which is ridiculous
                No i don't see the value. i don't see what have those metals do for anyone. A watch is just for time but hey i am a minimalist and so i don't even see the need for jewelery. Just a waste of money. i would rather take money and find a way to make it into an ongoing charity such as a farm to feed children homes that are nearby but not all of us are following our Father in heaven wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                  That’s it it’s not available. These company’s mostly make them by hand and thus don’t make many. Supply and demand.

What confuses me is why would Rolex not increase the price to match the secondary market?
                  Sound point too.

Comment

higher ed
                    healthcare / insurance / prescription drugs

Comment

holy shlt..... NICE !!

that is actually one of their nicer pieces

not really into a lot of their sports-watch designs, too big and too busy

nope, I'm not in the business..... it's just an interest
                      Thanks man. Yea it’s a nice one. Love the damn thing. It’s my halo piece. Paid more for it than I did for my wife’s Tesla S. Won’t do that again.

That nautilas from pateks looks nice...

Has for hublots sport watches I’m looking to get a 44 mm Big Bang in black and rose gold. Carbon dial. I like that one. Maybe next year.

I’m fan as yourself. Enjoying your posts. Keep em Coming.

Comment

Working...
                      X