No announcement yet.

Why can't God just kill Satan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
    That is an interesting theological question. Does God as omnipotent, knowingly let a paradoxical notion of "free will" persist? One where he knows the result? but the person does not? Or, does God remain willingly unaware, perhaps choosing to not know?

I studied the world religions at the grad school level and what I saw was that Karma, the doctrine of karma makes the most sense logically. You can explain things like why a kid dies of horrible cancer through Karma. It is very hard to do so using monotheistic religions, the Abrahamic traditions.

I tend to see it like this: My son in High school rides his bike and it is dangerous because of the city. So its hard, we want to protect our kids... But would (as my wife sometimes wants)just forbidding him to ride the bike be "protecting" him? I mean kids are going to get into situations in life, and we can't just shield them right?

So I taught him falling skills, him and his older brother, from my Ju Jutsu, since they were able to first walk. I taught them to look out and drive defensively...taking them to learn how to drive myself. To me this is "protecting" them. Not forbidding them, what do you think?
    God has way more power that you to protect all of us so bad comparison. Remember God can do anything and knows everything before it happens. You and your wife are just guessing what might happen God knows how, when, where, every little details of what will happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
      God has way more power that you to protect all of us so bad comparison. Remember God can do anything and knows everything before it happens. You and your wife are just guessing what might happen God knows how, when, where, every little details of what will happen.
      Do u believe the sheets yo talkin bout foo?

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleLeftH00k View Post
        Do u believe the sheets yo talkin bout foo?
        i am the one typing it, right?

Comment

So you believe God is omnipotent.

Its not a comparison. We act. Your "Omnipotent" version of God gave us bodies and minds to act. Obviously if we just accepted God knows all, and sat down and never moved we would not do so well. Naturally when we act we act to protect what we value.

Comment

i am the one typing it, right?
            christian mode is on i see

Comment

So you believe God is omnipotent.

Its not a comparison. We act. Your "Omnipotent" version of God gave us bodies and minds to act. Obviously if we just accepted God knows all, and sat down and never moved we would not do so well. Naturally when we act we act to protect what we value.
              i believe? God is omnipotent, right?

Comment

You apparently do. Its a common belief. There is a pattern historically of challenging this belief, usually when the Middle Class of a society gets well learned...The divine nature of the Pharoah in Egypt was allegedlly first questioned when one of the Pharoahs fell of a horse and was crippled BUT to many what really happened was, during the Nubian wars in Egypt when the Egyptian solders fought and saw their friends and foes opened up by weapons... Not moving, they became somewhat cynical about the supposed afterlife.

These solders came back, had enough money to buy small amounts of land (a big deal in any society) and learned how to read and write (Egyptian script changed to an abbreviated form at this point)...Subsequently as they gained power and influence and wanted to challenge the Aristocracy (PHar-aristocracy) there as conflict and the power of the pharoah was minimized.

Thats one example

Comment

Siablo

Another popular idea coming from Western society when we were becoming scientifically endowed...around the time when Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein, a book that creates a Prometheus like being that challenges the finality of death itself... Is that God is part of natural law. That God laid down rules and principles and left us to our own devices. You know where Pacino, as the Devil in "the Firm" or one of those movies rants about how God created the world and became a slumlord, leaving human beings with no repairs, to their own devices lol!

These are a couple of ideas along these lines.

Comment

Siablo

Another popular idea coming from Western society when we were becoming scientifically endowed...around the time when Mary Shelly wrote Frankenstein, a book that creates a Prometheus like being that challenges the finality of death itself... Is that God is part of natural law. That God laid down rules and principles and left us to our own devices. You know where Pacino, as the Devil in "the Firm" or one of those movies rants about how God created the world and became a slumlord, leaving human beings with no repairs, to their own devices lol!

These are a couple of ideas along these lines.
                    What do you believe, man?

Comment

What do you believe, man?
                      I was raised in a nonreligious family so I had no influences. Dad was from a secular Jewish family and my mother, who in her younger days was very pretty had a situation where a Catholic Priest tried to abuse her, so she rejected religion.

I studied and became a Buddhist. Buddhism does not technically take a position on whether God exists, or not. I lived in a Buddhist Monastery for a while and what you see is a focus on training the mind to think clearly, training the body to make an effort, learning how to not do harm to other living creatures. Buddhists are Agnostic but the REAL opinion for many Buddhists would probably be not that "we don't know if God exists, or not", rather, "There are so many things to work out in life to deal with suffering, old age and death, attachment to things, etc that the issue of God is not emphasized, rather the issues of how we should get off of the chain of rebirth in this word is the issue.

WITH that said, Buddhists are said not to believe in Souls and my own experiences in life are such that this is what I believe:

(Dick Gregory said it best actually). There are religions, like spokes on a wheel with different Gods... the Muslim God, the Jewish God, the Christian God, there is the institution of the church... BUT I believe in the MOST HIGH. The God that made the Stars, the Universe, etc. And this God to me is above the different particular Gods. I see this God more the older I get.

Comment

Working...
                      X