Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can people change, can a person ever redeem themselves?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone can be forgiven of everything.

The most unhealthy thing a human being can do, is hold grudges for long periods of time.

Colossians 3:13

13. Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you.

Matthew 6:14-15

14. For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you.
    15. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.

Luke 17:3-4

3. So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.
    4. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying ‘I repent,’ you must forgive them.”

Ephesians 4:31-32

31. Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
    32. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

1 John 1:9

9. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

Isaiah 1:18

18. “Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD. “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool.

Hebrews 10:17

17. Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.”

Daniel 9:9

9. The Lord our God is merciful and forgiving, even though we have rebelled against him;

Mark 11:25

25. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.”

Comment

Its hard to overlook crimes against children. we all have children or love children (nephews, nieces etc etc) and they cant protect themselves so when we hear someone did something to a child it makes us look at them different cause they ARE a threat to us, our family, our children.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
        What if a pedo saved 100 kids from being touched up by another pedo?
        I'll question his motives, and arrest his ass.

Comment

Originally posted by _Rexy_ View Post
          I’m a recovering alcoholic. I basically have to believe people can change and redeem themselves haha.
          redeem yourself? you touch lil kids? you abuse lil kids? what you got to redeem yourself from. you just like drinking, probably cant control your drinking but unless you done some foul **** I dont see how you need to redeem yourself from it.

I also see people talk about being an alchoholic like as if they did some horrible thing lmfao, you probably fell from grace cause of it but as long as you aint done foul shit to anyone you should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by .!WAR MIKEY! View Post
            redeem yourself? you touch lil kids? you abuse lil kids? what you got to redeem yourself from. you just like drinking, probably cant control your drinking but unless you done some foul **** I dont see how you need to redeem yourself from it.

I also see people talk about being an alchoholic like as if they did some horrible thing lmfao, you probably fell from grace cause of it but as long as you aint done foul shit to anyone you should be good.
            Totally different situation. It’s why I don’t believe in black and white. also, I’ve always been a very vocal hater of Adonis (even when that was considered uncanadian)

And no, I have my regrets and burned bridges but thankfully I never hurt anyone (physically) I’m greatful I was never a violent drunk because I’m a 6’4 (formerly) trainer amateur boxer so I could have killed someone in a drunken rage.

Comment

We all have that line in the sand, the point of no return where something just isn't forgivable regardless of how someone has tried to atone for their crimes or sins. Each of us gets to choose how and who we forgive and on what terms. It's like couples. Some can forgive their partner for cheating or abuse, while others it's a one-time deal-breaker, and there is no room for forgiveness.

Comment

I'm a forgiving person, if the person asking forgiveness mans up to their wrongs, repents, and then doesn't engage in those same wrongs again.

As to Stevenson, I'm hoping he doesnt die. But seeing a former pimp who held a title belt hostage for years and ducked many challengers getting knocked out like that was a nice helping of Karma imo.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                  Looking at some of the Adonis Stevenson threads about what a thug he was prior to his boxing career (pimp, rapist, drug pusher, violent abuser, etc.), it got me wondering what some of you think here.

Can someone who was once a totally reprehensible human being ever turn a page and truly better themselves to the point where the sins of their past are forgiven? Or do they remain forever condemned for their actions?
                  Good thread GofD...

Can someone change? Sure they can. As far as redemption thats hard to say. As a Christian I believe any and everyone can redeem themselves to God but I know as a man (flesh) there are things that are not redeemable.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    Good thread GofD...

Can someone change? Sure they can. As far as redemption thats hard to say. As a Christian I believe any and everyone can redeem themselves to God but I know as a man (flesh) there are things that are not redeemable.
                    Thanks. I'm guessing your time as a corrections officer you may have seen some inmates who genuinely turned over a new leaf? Or the ones who got religion while on the inside, but maybe lost it soon after being released? There is an old expression that there are no atheists in foxholes, I think a similar phenomenon takes place inside the walls of a prison where even the most hardened bad asses and criminals are somehow humbled, and many turn to religion for some form of salvation.

I have seen some genuinely bad people do a complete 180. Most of that was behavioral, and a lot of psychologists would argue that the only thing that changes is our behaviors, and not who we really are deep inside. That part I wonder about. It reminds of the scene in Carlito's Way when he says in prison, you don't get reformed, you just run out of wind.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                      Thanks. I'm guessing your time as a corrections officer you may have seen some inmates who genuinely turned over a new leaf? Or the ones who got religion while on the inside, but maybe lost it soon after being released? There is an old expression that there are no atheists in foxholes, I think a similar phenomenon takes place inside the walls of a prison where even the most hardened bad asses and criminals are somehow humbled, and many turn to religion for some form of salvation.

I have seen some genuinely bad people do a complete 180. Most of that was behavioral, and a lot of psychologists would argue that the only thing that changes is our behaviors, and not who we really are deep inside. That part I wonder about. It reminds of the scene in Carlito's Way when he says in prison, you don't get reformed, you just run out of wind.
                      I believe there are different levels and some people can percieve the more subtle levels of ethics while for others? its all about morals. Morals are behavioral. Every religion has them... Whether they be prohibitive, or prescriptive. So, the bible is prohibitive and tells people what NOT to do... Don't sleep with a man's wife,etc... Buddhism is prescriptive and the eight fold path tells us what we SHOULD do, right thoughts, right speech, etc...

So at a base level some people need to behave properly. But real ethics is different and it is internal and not behavioral. I have a sandwich and there is a kid who needs to eat. Morally I might say "its my sandwich", but ethically? what drives me to do right is totally different. Some of us could not live with ourselves if we didn't give that sandwich to the child (I know I couldn't). And the reasons for that seem beyond simple behavior.

To me, it is this drive to sacrifice our own well being for the sake of greater principle that makes Humanity. And when I say "Humanity" I am talking about Dogs, people, and any creature capable of showing that spark...On the other hand, a child murdering, psychopath to me, is not human and has lost their ethical bearing.

As far as change, I think people can change but they really have to be inspired to do so. It has been proven that the inspiration often enough is empathy. Some of us have it some if us do not, some of us learn to experience it.

Comment

Working...
                      X