Collapse
No announcement yet.

South Africa to amend Constitution to make it legal to take white owned lands

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] South Africa to amend Constitution to make it legal to take white owned lands

South Africa's ANC to amend constitution to allow land expropriation

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - South African ruling African National Congress will push ahead with plans to amend the constitution to allow for the expropriation of land without compensation, President Cyril Ramaphosa said on Tuesday, a move likely to unnerve investors.

Most land remains in white hands, making it a potent symbol of lingering inequalities 25 years on from the end of apartheid.

Since white minority rule ended in 1994, the ANC has followed a “willing-seller, willing-buyer” model whereby the government buys white-owned farms for redistribution to blacks. Progress has been slow.

Some investors are concerned that the ANC’s reforms will result in white farmers being stripped of land to the detriment of the economy, although Ramaphosa has repeatedly said any changes will not compromise food security or economic growth.

South Africa’s economy has barely grown in recent years, with the growth outlook remaining much lower than the 5 percent annual growth government is aiming for to make a dent in near-record unemployment.

Data showed on Tuesday that South Africa’s unemployment rate rose to 27.2 percent of the labor force in the second quarter from 26.7 percent in the first quarter.

Ramaphosa said the unemployment figures were “quite worrying,” saying the ruling party has told the government to move with urgency to develop and implement a stimulus package to ignite economic growth.

Ramaphosa said the measures will, among others, include increasing investment in public infrastructure.

“This stimulus package will be based on existing budgetary resources and the pursuit of new investments, while remaining committed to fiscal prudence,” Ramaphosa said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-s...-idUSKBN1KL2VN

The Bure Farmers are welcome and awaited in Russia to rebuild the Kolkhozes

Comment

I see mass hunger in their future.

Idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
        South Africa's ANC to amend constitution to allow land expropriation
        (...)
        ... "Constitutions" can't replace civilization... (but what do I know?)...

Comment

They not racist doe

Comment

the ANC have done an awful job and gone down the route of, 'if in doubt blame whitey'. Which unsurprisingly has got them a lot of popularity again.

Comment

Originally posted by Commie View Post
              The Bure Farmers are welcome and awaited in Russia to rebuild the Kolkhozes
              ... by "Bure" I suspect you mean Dutch Afrikaans, right?...

Comment

Stick it to whitey.

Nevermind where the food will come from

Comment

Taking land back that was unfairly and unjustly appropriated under apartheid without compromising food security or economic growth.

I guess the usual suspects will pretend this is a horrible attack on white people, conveniently forgetting the only reason the land was in the hands of white folks was because of an oppressive racist gov't.

That form of gov't no longer exists and the current gov't is righting wrongs from that time.

Maybe the land shouldn't have been stolen in the 1st place.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                    I see mass hunger in their future.

Idiots.
                    I see another Detroit, but imagine that it's an entire country instead.

Funny, Detroit wants to diversify. For many years liberals and certain minorities have blamed the white man for everything and wants him gone and then when things go bad, finally figured that whitey wasn't as bad and evil as they thought.

Comment

Working...
                    X