Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trump To Rescind Obama Era Guidelines On College Admissions Based On Race

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The lawsuit and civil rights investigation ongoing with Harvard on the other hand are very significant and the decisions that come out of that will have lots more impact. This particular action on the other hand isn't surprising or particularly meaningful.

I don't say that to demean Trump's move here per se, just to clarify that this isn't a unique move and doesn't change the law. For instance
    ...the Bush administration advised schools to use "race-neutral methods" to determine where children go to school, suggesting that officials use socioeconomic status instead of race.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...703-story.html
    (Nothing had changed after Bush did this)

For those commenting on what the schools stand to gain by using race as a factor, judging from that article above they believe that "racial diversity plays a crucial role in exposing students to new viewpoints." AKA they believe classroom engagement/discussion benefits from a diversified background of students. It's an interesting point.

Myself.. I don't know. I kind of just toil with this topic each time it's brung up.
    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-03-2018, 08:52 PM.

Comment

This has also become a heated topic with respect to NYC's specialized high schools, which admits students on the basis of a single test score (SHSAT) and no other factors. And as an alum of one of those schools, the topic has naturally come up a lot with people I know (also alums).

The topic at hand in this case is that, the school I attended was once pretty mixed (and the admissions procedure was the same). But each year Asian students do better than the year before on the test relative to all other groups and displace more and more of them. When I was a student it was something like 40-45% Asian, 30-35% White.. I don't remember the exacts. Now somewhere in the region of 70% of the class is Asian.

Should any other factors be allowed here? EG, Should grades matter? Should valedictorians be given admission even if they don't do so hot on the test? Should race be an explicit factor?

Trusting the test has become almost a tradition of sorts, and there are lots of stories of students with mediocre middle school transcripts admitted to a top high school because of how they did on the SHSAT (I am one for instance). Most of those students feel very strongly that the test should be the only factor, and usually believe middle school grades are meaningless etc. But I've got mixed feelings about how indoctrinated trust in this particular test is.
      Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 07-03-2018, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
        We're never going to stop winning with Trump in office. It's such a shame.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
          The liberals are going crazy over this. They are arguing that race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation and other superficial factors should dictate who gets into college or gets what job, instead of merit and talent.
          Race might be superficial to you but it isn't superficial and it definitely isn't superficial to most non-whites or jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            What’s wrong with the best people getting accepted instead of skin color
            What's wrong is that under any "fair" system not to many black people will be going to Harvard and many other schools and a lot of those who do will be going to play football or basketball.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
              This has also become a heated topic with respect to NYC's specialized high schools, which admits students on the basis of a single test score (SHSAT) and no other factors. And as an alum of one of those schools, the topic has naturally come up a lot with people I know (also alums).

The topic at hand in this case is that, the school I attended was once pretty mixed (and the admissions procedure was the same). But each year Asian students do better than the year before on the test relative to all other groups and displace more and more of them. When I was a student it was something like 40-45% Asian, 30-35% White.. I don't remember the exacts. Now somewhere in the region of 70% of the class is Asian.

Should any other factors be allowed here? EG, Should grades matter? Should valedictorians be given admission even if they don't do so hot on the test? Should race be an explicit factor?

Trusting the test has become almost a tradition of sorts, and there are lots of stories of students with mediocre middle school transcripts admitted to a top high school because of how they did on the SHSAT (I am one for instance). Most of those students feel very strongly that the test should be the only factor, and usually believe middle school grades are meaningless etc. But I've got mixed feelings about how indoctrinated trust in this particular test is.
              The deal with Harvard is that it is run by jews and jews are WAY over represented both as students and professors based on grades and other criteria because jews are the ones deciding who gets admitted there and who they hire as a professor. While Asians are under represented white people (those who aren't jews) are under represented as well.

The Myth of American Meritocracy

http://www.unz.com/runz/the-myth-of-...n-meritocracy/

Comment

Originally posted by Xoo View Post
                The deal with Harvard is that it is run by jews and jews are WAY over represented both as students and professors based on grades and other criteria because jews are the ones deciding who gets admitted there and who they hire as a professor. While Asians are under represented white people (those who aren't jews) are under represented as well.

The Myth of American Meritocracy

http://www.unz.com/runz/the-myth-of-...n-meritocracy/
                Looks like the methods are under some debate, eg

http://andrewgelman.com/2013/02/12/t...ics-maybe-not/

Comment

I believe originally the motivation behind it was that even if minorities were equal or better than whites they'd still not get accepted or hired or what not. So this was meant to help level the playing field. Now however it's inadversly has been affecting East Asians.

Comment

Asians are penalised the most, followed by whites - Hispanics have it next best, then blacks have it better, and Jews have it even better still based on percentage of admissions into college based on overall population

Comment

Liberals are complaining that certain races will dominate certain industries or schools.

They have a problem with too many Asians in a university or elite High school, even if those Asian students played by the rules and scored the highest on Tests and/or have the best grades.

Silicon Valley is also a favorite complaint of liberals for not being diverse enough.

Comment

Working...
                      X