No announcement yet.

Proposal to split California into 3 qualifies for Nov. Ballot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Proposal to split California into 3 qualifies for Nov. Ballot

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — A proposal to split California has qualified for the ballot in November.

The California Secretary of State’s office says the straightforwardly named measure Division Of California Into Three States has reached enough signatures.

When a person or group backing a measure says it has enough signatures to qualify for the ballot, those signatures are turned over for verification. From there, county elections officials randomly sample verify a random sample of signatures.

The measure backed by Tim Draper has hit nearly 420,000 valid or projected to be valid signatures in the random sample, topping the 365,000 needed to qualify for the November ballot.

Draper was behind a previous move to split the state into six parts, but he cut his ambition in half in August, opting just for three this time.

Northern Californians looking to run away from Sacramento and San Francisco to join the state of Jefferson will be severely disappointed as the proposal draws the line for Northern California all the way past the current state capital.

The new California would consist of coastal regions including Monterey County and Los Angeles.

Southern California, which you might expect would include Los Angeles, instead covers counties ranging from Fresno to San Diego.

The fate of Tulare County was up in the air when Draper’s original proposal left the county out, presumably to be annexed to Nevada, and instead opted to pick Imperial County twice. He’s since updated it to include Tulare County as part of Southern California.

Here’s a list of the counties in each region:

NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

Alameda
    Alpine
    Amador
    Butte
    Calaveras
    Colusa,
    Contra Costa
    Del Norte
    El Dorado
    Glenn
    Humboldt
    Lake
    Lassen
    Marin
    Mariposa
    Mendocino
    Merced
    Modoc
    Napa
    Nevada
    Placer
    Plumas
    Sacramento
    San Francisco
    San Joaquin
    San Mateo
    Santa Clara
    Santa Cruz
    Sierra
    Siskiyou
    Shasta
    Solano
    Sonoma
    Stanislaus
    Sutter
    Tehama
    Trinity
    Tuolumne
    Yolo
    Yuba

CALIFORNIA

Los Angeles
    Monterey
    San Benito
    San Luis Obispo
    Santa Barbara
    Ventura

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA

Fresno
    Imperial (twice)
    Inyo
    Kern
    Kings
    Madera
    Mono
    Orange
    Riverside
    San Bernardino
    San Diego
    Tulare County
    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/...vember-ballot/

Id still live in Southern Ca no matter what...

Comment

It looks like they divided it up to get 3 D States out of it.

All 3 proposed States have large D cities in them, which will probably decide Statewide races, as well as get the lions share of Legislature seats decided by population.

The point was to give R areas a chance to be represented by Rs, not make the State into 3 mini-versions of what it is now.

Comment

It's an attempt to combat this movement

https://www.northcoastjournal.com/Ne...-perfect-union

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Id still live in Southern Ca no matter what...
          so cal is where it's at but i think i would rather live in nor cal when i get older. nor cal has a lot of land and in some places its very quite and peaceful and this is what i like, to get away from everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternChamp View Post
            so cal is where it's at but i think i would rather live in nor cal when i get older. nor cal has a lot of land and in some places its very quite and peaceful and this is what i like, to get away from everyone.
            To cold and rainy for me. Napa is nice though...

Comment

I wonder if the new plan would also give each of the three additional electoral votes as well or just divide the current number of electoral votes. Currently California has 55.

Comment

Lol this isn’t the first time it happened. It always lose just like how Alaska wants to secede

Comment

I have no dog in this race, never been to CA & not on my schedule to visit anytime soon, but interesting idea & I'd be curious to see it just to see how it works out. My guess is it'll get shot down doe.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    I wonder if the new plan would also give each of the three additional electoral votes as well or just divide the current number of electoral votes. Currently California has 55.
                    It shouldn't change their Electoral Vote total as the population doesn't change.

They would get 4 more Senate seats, however.

Since each State gets 2, dividing into 3 States would give you 6 instead of 2 as sits now as one State.

Comment

Working...
                    X