Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody but Brazil

Comment

• Originally posted by Sh|ts on Brits View Post
      There's no question which half of the draw is more difficult.

England could be playing France, Belgium, Brazil, or Uruguay. Instead they have a relative cakewalk in comparison while those teams will beat each other up.
      I wouldn't say it's a cakewalk when i'd put Croatia right now on current form and individual players right up there with the other teams on the other side.

Brazil haven't shown much yet. Sweden did an easier job on Mexico than they did and softened them up for Brazil. Brazil have got a really good defence though, barely concede any goals but nothing to fear from Brazil these days. It's not the Brazil of old, far from it.

Uruguay looked very poor in their group early on but have improved in each game. I think they could be tricky for anyone.

France also looked fairly average in the group. They were better in their last game going forward but still let in 3 v an awful Argentina. Defensively average but a threat going forward if you let them be. Nowhere near as effective against an organised side.

Belgium just scraped past Japan. Great team on paper but remains to be seen if they can put it together on a big stage against good opposition. They also look a shambles defensively at times. Martinez isn't tactically good enough to get the best out of that team.

I'm not saying the sides of the draw are equal, however, people are looking at the country names rather than the reality. None of them teams have done anything noteworthy in international football for a while and certainly not streets ahead of sides like Croatia.

Besides, it's not like we got a much easier side of the draw when we got into the last 16, there was still good teams in it. It's not our fault that the good sides on our half like Spain have **** the bed already and got sent home.
      Last edited by TheBigLug; 07-04-2018, 06:04 PM.

Comment

• France v Uruguay is the one I'm waiting for the most if France find their form I'd pick them to win the world cup

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post
          I wouldn't say it's a cakewalk when i'd put Croatia right now on current form and individual players right up there with the other teams on the other side.

Brazil haven't shown much yet. Sweden did an easier job on Mexico than they did and softened them up for Brazil. Brazil have got a really good defence though, barely concede any goals but nothing to fear from Brazil these days. It's not the Brazil of old, far from it.

Uruguay looked very poor in their group early on but have improved in each game. I think they could be tricky for anyone.

France also looked fairly average in the group. They were better in their last game going forward but still let in 3 v an awful Argentina. Defensively average but a threat going forward if you let them be. Nowhere near as effective against an organised side.

Belgium just scraped past Japan. Great team on paper but remains to be seen if they can put it together on a big stage against good opposition. They also look a shambles defensively at times. Martinez isn't tactically good enough to get the best out of that team.

I'm not saying the sides of the draw are equal, however, people are looking at the country names rather than the reality. None of them teams have done anything noteworthy in international football for a while and certainly not streets ahead of sides like Croatia.

Besides, it's not like we got a much easier side of the draw when we got into the last 16, there was still good teams in it. It's not our fault that the good sides on our half like Spain have **** the bed already and got sent home.
          France were in the Euro finals Brazil easily ran through a tough conmebol and were the 1st country to qualify last year Belgium haven't lost a match in two years

I see your point on Spain but what has Croatia done to be in the conversation

Comment

• Originally posted by Phenom View Post
            France were in the Euro finals Brazil easily ran through a tough conmebol and were the 1st country to qualify last year Belgium haven't lost a match in two years

I see your point on Spain but what has Croatia done to be in the conversation
            Croatia haven't done anything, but neither have some others. I don't really rate Croatia that highly, but i'm saying i'd put them on par with the others, on paper, or not far off. A potential clash with Croatia is not a cakewalk to the final.

France in the Euro's Final...it was p1ss poor though, let's be honest. Look how far Wales got. Portugal even won it and they're bang average. It France had anything about them, they should have p1ssed the Euro's. I do think they're a bit better now though with the emergence of some good young players.

As i say, i agree with you on most points. I just don't think England have it easy as some are making out. I think some just want to say it so when they do fail, they'll say they failed when it was easy. But i agree to an extent though, If you offered any England fan a clash with Colombia, Sweden then Russia/Croatia to reach a final, they would have taken it with open arms.

Playing against Sweden or Croatia are very tricky games at this level for anybody.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheBigLug View Post

I like Croatia and mentioned them as a possible dark horse before this tournament started.

But that's just one team. Compared to the other side of the draw which is stacked.

Comment

Might Croatia be a darkhorse?
                Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                Nah Shoulder.
                Originally posted by Sh|ts on Brits View Post
                What do you mean nah?

They have Rakitic, Modric, Mandzukic, and Pericic.

If I was an opposing team those guys would scare me more than England that's for sure.
                Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                We will see....
                Siablo don't know shit about soccer.

Comment

Siablo don't know shit about soccer.
                  It seems I was right too. England is doing more than we expected.

Comment

• Style wise England probably match up most poorly to Uruguay and Sweden.

Don’t get me wrong Sweden in a quarter final is still brilliant. The same works the other way. England in a quarter final? You take that no matter who you are.

The reality is a physical Sweden will drop deep and hit England on the break. England have a few goals from open play and will struggle to get in behind. Sweden will also defend set pieces properly unlike the central and South American teams who seem to have been caught out by a rule change which has been in effect in Europe for years. The rule being you can no longer just foul the opposition from corners.

Sweden have no outstanding players but have humility and work ethic. The teams on the other side of the draw would try and smash England and be wide open for one of the faster teams in the tournament.

What I would say is Brazil are very cagey too. That ***ner dude barely crosses the halfway line. So Brazil essentially never have more than 5/6 players ahead of the ball. That makes them solid but they will be in trouble if they fall behind to anyone basically.

I’d say France have the best players but Uruguay is just a horrible match.

I picked Portugal to bore their way to a World Cup but in reality Uruguay are even more boring, cynical, and with more talent

Comment

• Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
                      Style wise England probably match up most poorly to Uruguay and Sweden.

Don’t get me wrong Sweden in a quarter final is still brilliant. The same works the other way. England in a quarter final? You take that no matter who you are.

The reality is a physical Sweden will drop deep and hit England on the break. England have a few goals from open play and will struggle to get in behind. Sweden will also defend set pieces properly unlike the central and South American teams who seem to have been caught out by a rule change which has been in effect in Europe for years. The rule being you can no longer just foul the opposition from corners.

Sweden have no outstanding players but have humility and work ethic. The teams on the other side of the draw would try and smash England and be wide open for one of the faster teams in the tournament.

What I would say is Brazil are very cagey too. That ***ner dude barely crosses the halfway line. So Brazil essentially never have more than 5/6 players ahead of the ball. That makes them solid but they will be in trouble if they fall behind to anyone basically.

I’d say France have the best players but Uruguay is just a horrible match.

I picked Portugal to bore their way to a World Cup but in reality Uruguay are even more boring, cynical, and with more talent
                      cant believe hills have us at ten to eleven and sweden at 7 te 2, putin a tenner on sweden and wel lose 1 nil in extra time

Comment

Working...
                      X