Collapse
No announcement yet.

The official 2018 World Cup thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Also I cannot believe we actually won on pens. Went into that shootout with expectations at rock bottom.

Solid bollocks from the lads there.

Comment

• Allow me to also express delight mixed with shock that we actually won a penalty shootout. I'm still not blown away by the skill level of the side but Southgate has clearly done a great job building a side with the fortitude to grind out games.

Still, it's looking like either France, Brazil or Belgium are going to win this year. I think that England might be the other side in the final, though. I feel like we'll beat Sweden 1-0, although Croatia will take a big effort to defeat (assuming they beat Russia)

Comment

• Don't know why so many people are backing Croatia to beat Russia tbh. They were poor against Denmark and the referee will probably job them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scopedog View Post
          Allow me to also express delight mixed with shock that we actually won a penalty shootout. I'm still not blown away by the skill level of the side but Southgate has clearly done a great job building a side with the fortitude to grind out games.

Still, it's looking like either France, Brazil or Belgium are going to win this year. I think that England might be the other side in the final, though. I feel like we'll beat Sweden 1-0, although Croatia will take a big effort to defeat (assuming they beat Russia)
          I know, there was a big discussion if either England or Belgium shoulda lost on purpose to get the easier draw. Columbia and Sweden to get to the final four? It doesn't get any easier than that.

In 1998, Zinedine Zidane had a coming out party helping lead France to victory. 20 years later, and Mbappe will do much the same. Viva la France!

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
            Don't know why so many people are backing Croatia to beat Russia tbh. They were poor against Denmark and the referee will probably job them.
            I believe Russia is ranked something like 70th by FIFA. Russia was supposed to be lucky to even make the World Cup at all, let alone get a win in the knockout stage. Croatia isn't stacked with talent, but Russia is supposed to be a team that is lucky just to get in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dr.Cool View Post
              I believe Russia is ranked something like 70th by FIFA. Russia was supposed to be lucky to even make the World Cup at all, let alone get a win in the knockout stage. Croatia isn't stacked with talent, but Russia is supposed to be a team that is lucky just to get in.
              Croatia have arguably the best midfield in the world right now.

Modric, Mandzukic or Rakitic are world class players.
              Last edited by Szef; 07-04-2018, 04:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by El Fenomeno View Post
                Also I cannot believe we actually won on pens. Went into that shootout with expectations at rock bottom.

Solid bollocks from the lads there.
                Success in a penalty shoot out basically overrides the previous 120 minutes for England.

It’s monumental.

I was worried that Eric Dier was the old ‘he’s brave enough to take it’ bollocks choice we usually get and I had 0% faith in him (see Batty, see Carragher etc..). The kids an oaf. But so glad it went in. He has a bit of intelligence about him.

Even Henderson’s peno wasn’t a typical bottle job English pen it was obvious where it was going but it was in the corner and struck hard.

You can tell they’ve finally practiced them and given up on the ‘it’s a lottery’ bollocks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Szef View Post
                  Croatia has arguably the best midfield in the world right now.

Modric, Mandzukic or Rakitic are world class players.
                  I like Perisic a lot too and Rebic.

Not sure about their defence apart from Vida.

All these teams are a similar level though including Croatia on that side of the draw. It would be different if say Modric’s talent level was in another position like a striker,

Mandzukic is a good striker I’d put him Giroud level though but he is just such a worker. But he’s not someone defenders at this level think. Oh no Mandzukic!!!

If England did play Croatia our biggest issue would be a situation where Perisic is constantly 1 on 1 with Ashley Young.

Ashley Young has done ok but as sure as eggs are eggs someone will absolutely undress him at some stage.

Comment

• England are now winning in the poll.

Boxingscene has been weighed, measured and found wanting.

England got us all shook now.

Comment

• Before the shootout started I was pretty confident but said I don't want Dier taking one.

I walked out the room head in hands when i saw him walking to the spot lol

Anyway, football called last night and it said its coming home.

Comment

Working...
                      X