No announcement yet.

Congress just passed law to make Websites liable for what users post

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterling Archer

I dont know why people want to beat around the bush. this is the continuation of a slippery slope that america has been on for quite some time....

these laws that have been passed throughout the passage of time that "they" have had control of america and what has happened since then and what continues now is the culmination of what happens when the white man took over the world but somehow put one SELECT group/tribe of people in charge of finance/money and media propaganda.

the incremental suppression of free speech, the deregulation of our financial system, the degradation of the morality of america's sons and daughters through the media they own, and the gradual stripping of our civil liberties....

it can all be traced to the same source.

but people want to beat around the bush.
    people want to pretend its other things that are causing all of these things...
    Obama never allowed them to attack Iran.

Comment

There will be a surge in overseas servers that will host websites. Once that happens, the government will find a way to either block them or shut down anyone who visits those sites and possibly bring criminal charges against them. Internet in the U.S. is going to be aggressively censored as it is in China. This is just the beginning. Start taking up hobbies now because you'll be spending a lot less time on the world wide web a few years from now when the internet has become completely "gentrified".

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
        There will be a surge in overseas servers that will host websites. Once that happens, the government will find a way to either block them or shut down anyone who visits those sites and possibly bring criminal charges against them. Internet in the U.S. is going to be aggressively censored as it is in China. This is just the beginning. Start taking up hobbies now because you'll be spending a lot less time on the world wide web a few years from now when the internet has become completely "gentrified".
        Funny thing was the original Bill was introduced by a Republican.

Ron Paul was right when he said that the Dems and Repubs were both authoritarians, although Dems are more into it. It's too bad the Republican party doesn't have too many Ron Pauls.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodore View Post
          Funny thing was the original Bill was introduced by a Republican.

Ron Paul was right when he said that the Dems and Repubs were both authoritarians, although Dems are more into it. It's too bad the Republican party doesn't have too many Ron Pauls.
          They have too many Paul Ryan’s and Mitch McConnell’s.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            from what i am seeing the bill is pretty explicit in only concerning prostitution and sex trafficking.
            That may be so, I don’t know all the fine details yet, but any type of words posted online should not be a criminal offense.

If it’s what you say, then I’m fine with it, I just don’t want to turn into parts of Europe where they criminalize certain speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
              That may be so, I don’t know all the fine details yet, but any type of words posted online should not be a criminal offense.

If it’s what you say, then I’m fine with it, I just don’t want to turn into parts of Europe where they criminalize certain speech.

its not just words, you need to commit a crime, like posting an ad as a prostitute, being a john, coordinating for hookers or runaway girls to go across state lines, etc. they're basically making an exception for limiting free speech and the ability to host free speech without liability in cases of prostitution or child **** and trafficking

waht does concern me is the wording of the bill:

To amend the Communications Act of 1934 to clarify that section 230 of such Act does not prohibit the enforcement against providers and users of interactive computer services of Federal and State criminal and civil law relating to sexual exploitation of children or sex trafficking, and for other purposes.

if you read it like 8 times i think we're good. but why would congress be clear and decisive?

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post

yeah, not sure how you arrived at all of this through the bill. so far it really does look like this only concerns people who actively solicit or sell sex or traffic it. it was never legal to say, "i'll sell my ***** for 15 dollars." the issue here is that the liability extends beyond the woman who sells sex, but to the location. as in, if she sold the ***** on a street corner, the corner would be liable.

the intention is to target websites like backpage that are basically brothels. they host webspace that's designed to sell sex, and a lot worse from the look of it. the big target here being those who move prostitutes [often runaway girls that are young,] from state to state or out of the country.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                  yeah, not sure how you arrived at all of this through the bill. so far it really does look like this only concerns people who actively solicit or sell sex or traffic it. it was never legal to say, "i'll sell my ***** for 15 dollars." the issue here is that the liability extends beyond the woman who sells sex, but to the location. as in, if she sold the ***** on a street corner, the corner would be liable.

the intention is to target websites like backpage that are basically brothels. they host webspace that's designed to sell sex, and a lot worse from the look of it. the big target here being those who move prostitutes [often runaway girls that are young,] from state to state or out of the country.
                  People are being banned from FB, Twitter and other social media sites for expressing political, religious or other controversial views. Most other forums are heavily moderated and won't let you even discuss topics outside of the theme of the site. In some states you can actually be arrested for verbal abuse or harassment just like Canada and the U.K. Where they don't have freedom of speech rights.

Fifteen years ago if someone told you that you could lose your job or be expelled from school for something you post on an Internet forum such as supporting gun rights, making pro life statements, making ****phobic remarks, or what is considered sexist comments, you probably would have said they were crazy. Wel, here we are. The PC climate we live in has gotten out of control and the Internet is ripe with victims and SJWs. Only. A matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post

Damn now some guys in the lounge are never going to get laid!

US Congress just passed HR 1865, "FOSTA", seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.

Any tool or service can be misused. We can't take such risk without jeopardizing all our other services, so we are regretfully taking craigslist personals offline. Hopefully we can bring them back some day.

To the millions of spouses, partners, and couples who met through craigslist, we wish you every happiness!

Damn they did. Holy f#ck.

I contend this is just another thing to get net neutrality rolling. I mean that one part about old sites getting new laws enforced on sh^t said 10 years ago or w/e is mfing nuts.

Comment

That's too bad.

The Donald is starting to let me down, which I knew would happen at some point, as no president is perfect. I love the tax cuts but now things like this. Not good at all.

Comment

Working...
                      X