Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neil D. Tyson: The existence of ‘flat earthers’ proves American schools have failed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
    My buddy MAX Doronkin translated Putin's interview with that pretty white girl who left Fox News, Meygan(sic) Ryan. He assured me that the translator was a tool or a fool..

Putin doesn't want war... He wants peace for his people... He projects strengtht and fearlessness.

In an unrelated yet related video he said " America has military bases all over the world, and Russia has no military bases except near our borders to protect our citizens... We are not a rich or powerful country like America... But we will fight to the death to protect our soverignty... Our people".

Look it up, Putin wasn't lying...

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
      Hopefully you are laughing with me and not at me...

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
        LOL yea I never quite got why flat earthers think out planet is flat, but all these other planets are round.

Someone needs to go troll them & double down on the flatness by saying those guys are fake cuz they are saying these clearly flat planets aren't round at all. All planets are flat lol.
        They tend not to comment on other planets too much.

There are many videos saying the moon is flat, the sun is just a giant hovering lamp, and all we are taught about space are lies, because we only get information about space from NASA which is just part of the illuminati brainwashing system.

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
        Its not our educational system, its our culture. We let boys think they can be girls, whites think they r black etc its no wonder we have people thinking the most ridiculous of things to be right.
        You could add to that how our culture has continuously accepted and encouraged the majority to believe in invisible super beings (God) and magical supermen (Jesus) and ancient superstitious mind abilities (prayer) and mythical fantasy lands (heaven/hell)...etc etc.

You get the idea.

If we accept belief in the seemingly absurd, we cant be surprised when new faux religious beliefs pop up in the guise of Scientology, flat earth bs and all manner of conspiracy bs.

Comment

Originally posted by JimRaynor View Post
          I don't understand how this became an attack on creationists? I have absolutely no problem with creationism being taught. In fact it makes the most sense once you look around you and realize just about every single thing requires creation, new born babies, animals and plants are "created" every single day. Even inanimate objects like homes, cars, and tools, but suggest that original human beings were created by a higher power and all hell breaks lose.
          Often creationsim brings with it misinformation about scientific evidence and established theories.

I personally dont see how it makes sense that everything seems to require a creator....accept THE Creator.

Everything that exists was produced through a process....accept that which the Creator produced. i.e. the universe and life.

The God of the gaps argument conflicts with the scientific method.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
            Actually, i'd say it's just the opposite.

I was taught in school to think for myself.

A lot of these flat-earthers go out and conduct experiments, etc.

Of course they are misguided, but they are thinking for themselves, and hopefully are doing their own research.

nothing wrong with flat-earthers they don't harm anybody and actually provide pretty good entertainment.
            Most flat earthers accept the bs they watch on youtube without questioning it.
            They preach that they think for themselves but all have been converted to a nonsensical belief.
            They love to think they are doing science and trying to figure stuff out, but in reality they all start with a belief the earth is flat and then try desperately to justify that belief through psuedo scientific experiments.
            Its sadly all confirmation bias and delusion.

They just try to find alternative ways to explain what we already know about space etc.
            Their models never work. And yet they persevere with preaching their dogmatic beliefs.

A lot of it is based on the paranoid belief "we are being controlled and lied to".
            They reject all things relating to NASA, Newton, Einstein....unless it suits them.

Comment

We are dealing with tools and fools... I was once and still am like them.

I'm watching a Japanese documentary about the tsunami that I experienced...

I wish I has the power to save people I loved and lost...

I'm smiling cuz a determined Japanese man swam out to save his wife and kid... Straight up man ****.. He's not big or strong just by looking at him... He put it diwn to the fullest... Saved his wife and two kids... God was with him that day... Inspiring...
              Many people in the world don't believe **** unless a Bish azz hoe azz hoe stars in a movie about a catastrophe and get paid to pretend... Real people live and die daily in obscurity. Peace homie... I gotta watch other Unknown people laugh about things that are impossible to explain. I'm not them...

"As I walked down the stairs, after the quake hit, the tsunami hit and I saw my son swept away... ". Unknown Japanese person who lost two kids in the tsunami...
              That tsunami was awful. I'm glad you made it. I can imagine the stories...

Comment

Tyson is correct in many ways.
                Most of us dont have a clue about astronomy and accept what we are told. And its interesting to explore why we accept certain information and reject others. How our sense of reasoning and rationale works. Look at the "fake news" saga.
                Flat earthers are just a product of religious faith, conspiracy paranoia, and pure ignorance. And its all fueled by how we lazily absorb information via the internet.
                People can now sit there and watch hours of videos that can be convincing but ultimately misinformed and have a clear agenda.

Actual study of astronomy requires some serious time and dedication.
                We are too lazy for that.
                We prefer quick fire, easy to digest "knowledge" which is over simplified and often wrong.
                We are seduced by the illusion of enlightenment these videos give us.

I think we struggle with getting the balance right between critical thinking, scepticism and self doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
                  No, the bible does not teach that the earth is flat. Isaiah 40:22 mentions the "circle of the earth". Upon an exegetical study of the Hebrew (Zaroku can obviously help more here), you'll see that the term is used to decribe a vault, or something 3 dimensional.

http://creation.mobi/isaiah-40-22-circle-sphere
                  Eh, I read the passages, and I'm not convinced.

It definitely doesn't say the earth is spherical.

Comment

In Hebrew the world is a (sphere) but in Greek translations it is a circle. My Greek isn't great. I'm working on that...

I tried to disprove the existence of a God who would allow so much suffering in this world.. Someday I'll discuss my rejection of God, and how math and physic's made me accept a GOD that obviously exists and won't gimme a pass, for ****ing people up.
                    I just read there is no equivalent term for sphere in the Hebrew bible, so I'm not convinced.

Lol I got nothing against ya man, but I think you talk out of your ass on a lot of subjects, this one included. sorry I just don't believe you can speak Hebrew, or that you have this higher understanding of physics and math.

I don't care what a man believes in, doe, as long as he treats his fellow man and woman with respect and love.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
                      Eh, I read the passages, and I'm not convinced.

It definitely doesn't say the earth is spherical.
                      Did you read the Hebrew?

It also definitely doesn't say the earth is flat
                      Last edited by GGG Gloveking; 03-14-2018, 11:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X