Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brothers and Sissies how many of you cats are living with your mom & pops still? Why?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I moved away from NYC entirely, to Ohio. I live alone. But I know the percentage of people still living with their parents at 25+ in NYC is even higher than the US avg.

There's a big problem when a certain job starts you off at $46k and tops out at $77k after 4 years in Ohio, where rent can be like $500 if you want it...and the same exact job starts at $42k and tops out at $77k in NYC, where rent for a tiny ass apartment is like $1200. So you either live with your parents or move away to another apt uncomfortably living with 4-5 people paying $200 a week until you get that "top" pay.

Keep in mind, everything is freaking expensive nowadays, when adjusted for inflation, min wage should be $22/hour. A lot of people would disagree with that number but that's a fact. When I see people clapping and happy as hell that the min wage was raised to $13 and will eventually rise to $15 in NY it gets a chuckle out me...like wtf is $13-15 an hour? How could you be happy at that? In my job I will be making $37 an hour 5 years from now and for me that's like what would make me happy and clap and jump up and down in joy. $15 an hour is nice for a teenager working in Micky D's or young Sales Reps, not adults imo.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
      The job market is tough out there.

I know a girl with a bachelor's degree in biology, the company she used to work for went out of business and now she's having trouble finding employment in her field.

Living with her parents is a way or surviving in the meantime.
      Biology major is unofficially for people who are going to med school, if you're not going for that, then you'll be ****ed. It's like the unofficial start to med school. When I worked sales rep, a coworker had a BS in Biology and he had trouble getting a job in his field with it.

Comment

Weighed out the pros and cons, and not moving has made sense, for my brothers/sisters anyway.

Depending on where you look, average rent for a single room within 25 miles of where I'm at is over $3000 a month.

Split the room with a roommate and you're still talking about $18000 per year for sleeping in a space that's half of one room. Why spend that money when you don't have to?

The clamps on freedom suck, but my brothers were both able to fully pay off all of their student loans within 2 years, my sister was able to finance her own wedding and pay a good down payment on her house, I was able to fund a few development projects that I'd been looking at, plus chipmunk away $30k+ in cash/bonds/stocks into my savings, and our baby brother has school covered, basically debt free, because of the savings that mom had set aside plus the rest of us chipping in.

My case isn't the same as everyone's, but having the deposit for a down payment in hand, while still working and looking for the actual job/career that you want is a pretty good deal, even if that eliminates the chance of bringing strange ***** to your own place

Comment

I live with my parents because we like having each other around.

Comment

Kicking kids out at 18 or right after college is an American thing. I know some Chaldean dudes that own gas stations, phone stores and corner stores still living with their parents. They don't move out until they're getting married.

Comment

This putting kids out at 18 is really bad in black families. An 18 year old with limited work experience is not ready to be out on their own. Military is the only option for a lot of them.

Comment

Not really sure why people have such a problem with this. I mean, if you're 25-30 living at your parents' to mooch off them rent-free and not doing anything with you're live, then I would say that is disgraceful. If you have a good relationship with your parents, are not being a burden to them (importantly, paying bills), and are working towards something (college, saving for a home, career, better environment for you kids, ect.) there is really nothing wrong with that as a temporary solution. Independence is important and a part of being an adult, but I don't see how leaving your family to go struggle and have to split rent with complete strangers is the ideal definition of "freedom" as oppose to the alternative. Sure it works for some people, but not all and I don't understand the arbitrary rule. Also, as Cobra pointed out, it's really a cultural thing and many cultures don't share the view on letting your kids sink or swim at 18-20 just because.

Comment

why is there a stigma with 40somethings ''helping'' out their parents around the clock

by eating up all the food and contributing nothing but stank

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                    This is an excellet thread, I was 16 when Jimmy carther went out and Ronny R, took over. I was living in my car, my dad threw me out.... My friends family took me in, David Martinez(Filipino American) solid and a most excellent friend.

Later on, I made peace with my dad.. I'm old now, and never lived with my parents.
                    Why did your dad kick you out at such a young age

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Shaw View Post
                      Why did your dad kick you out at such a young age
                      Ask him, I'm only guessing... He beat the blood/stupidity and hardheaded? ness outta me. I'll provide photos if needed, father and son... We didn't get along.. Rip papa... My momma and sisters lie to me, and tell me he and I are exactly the same... My dad was uneducated, but smart, i however am highly educated and stupid.... My dad just knew ****, empirically, he just did his job, smiled to my mom, put bread on the table, he did his best... We listened to cat Stevens, reel to reel, shot pool together... I failed him, he didn't fail me...

My homies respect my pops more than me.. I got mad at two dudes ho to.d me they wished they had a daddy like I had. Father vs son? I Paul mata zaroku cannot answer your question... I'm ashamed I wasn't a better son... I kissed him goodbye and regretted not listening more. I was his only son, and I struggle to live like a man, and hopefully die on my feet, I tore my clothes(Jewish thing..) I missed our fishing trips and the sever azz whoopings he gave me...

Comment

Working...
                      X