No announcement yet.

The official 2018 Black History Month mega-thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
    Oh. I know. Even this Haitian Revolution that jaded has me digging into shows unexpected turns and contradictory behaviour from the Toussaint. Toussaint freed the slaves but for economic reasons wanted the to still behave like slaves. It's never just black and white, teacher.
    Hahah damn you responded before my edited version came up.

I think you would agree that Afrocentrism, and some of the extreme beliefs stemming therefrom, are merely RESPONSES to centuries of EUROCENTRISM... that attempted to strip a people of their dignity, history, ancestry, and just plain personhood.

It happened to many European tribes (Germanic, Celtic, Gaul) during the Roman Empire. But this was thousands of years ago. For Africans in the Western Hemisphere - very, very recent.

So again, it goes back to trying to put yourself in somebody else's shoes, and seeing things from their perspective.

Only then can we truly start to understand, and hopefully, begin to flourish together.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cheek busting View Post
      Hahah damn you responded before my edited version came up.

I think you would agree that Afrocentrism, and some of the extreme beliefs stemming therefrom, are merely RESPONSES to centuries of EUROCENTRISM... that attempted to strip a people of their dignity, history, ancestry, and just plain personhood.

It happened to many European tribes (Germanic, Celtic, Gaul) during the Roman Empire. But this was thousands of years ago. For Africans in the Western Hemisphere - very, very recent.

So again, it goes back to trying to put yourself in somebody else's shoes, and seeing things from their perspective.

Only then can we truly start to understand, and hopefully, begin to flourish together.
      I know man. Blacks were told that they were ugly, dumb, and always at the bottom of the ladder. So to build our esteem up and that of other Blacks who didn't know better. We had to shout "I am black and I am proud; black is beautiful," etc. to counter that hateful nonsense that our ancestors were taught. You still see remnants now with this good hair/bad hair nonsense that some Blacks still believe.

It's so funny now to think at one time they use to think Blacks were to weak to compete in boxing. Can you believe that, teacher?

Comment

• Don't you have anything to say about the Haitian slave trade that is still in practice today? Or does that get a pass because they are black slave traders?
        Last edited by jaded; 02-06-2018, 02:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jaded View Post
          Don't you have anything to say about the Haitian slave trade that is still in practice today? Or does that get a pass because they are black slave traders?
          I don't need to state my views on that. It goes without saying that I am against that. That's a given! Human trafficking for sexual work. That's a damn shame. It's happening in Asia and Eastern Europe too.

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
            I don't need to state my views on that. It goes without saying that I am against that. That's a given! Human trafficking for sexual work. That's a damn shame. It's happening in Asia and Eastern Europe too.
            Don't get me wrong...but when you speak of black history I don't really think Haiti is a shinning bright example of accomplishments. There are far better examples in the Caribbean where the people have done much better to say the least...and through a peaceful transition at that. This is the point I have been try to make to you but you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that for whatever reason.
            Last edited by jaded; 02-06-2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Don't get me wrong...but when you speak of black history I don't really think Haiti is an shinning bright example of accomplishments. There are far better examples in the Caribbean where the people have done much better to say the least...and through a peaceful transition at that. This is the point I have been try to make to you but you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that for whatever reason.
              It simply boils down to Europeans having the power. If they got to leave on their own terms, they had a somewhat decent relation with their former colonies but if the Europeans were forced out, they were spiteful towards that former colony.

Comment

• Morgan Freeman said it best.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by D4thincarnation View Post
                    Morgan Freeman said it best.

Good clip.

Comment

Don't get me wrong...but when you speak of black history I don't really think Haiti is a shinning bright example of accomplishments. There are far better examples in the Caribbean where the people have done much better to say the least...and through a peaceful transition at that. This is the point I have been try to make to you but you seem to be unwilling to acknowledge that for whatever reason.
                      But there is nothing wrong with violently overthrowing a country based on violent chattel slavery, and the countries whose governments/armies who were buttressing that system.

Now - IT WAS wrong, of course, for them to force the white women into marriage with black men, or die. And kill all the White children, and even White men who were not slave owners in the country, and were probably subject to the same oppressive oversight of colonialism (although of course not nearly to the same extent as chattel slavery which was race-based).

So I see nothing wrong with blacks taking pride in Haitian revolution, as long as they do acknowledge there were some atrocities committed against innocent Whites as well.

But rarely, hell, I'd say NEVER, is there any sort of revolutionary movement/war/overthrow where innocents are NOT killed.

I see no reason why we can't discriminate between what is right and wrong in a situation, while still recognizing the revolution did have the moral high ground in the context of colonialism, and chattel-slavery.

Comment

Working...
                      X