Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do Jews and Muslims not eat pork?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've read that part of the reason is due to how dirty the pig is. I've also read that it could've just been to test obedience.

Comment

Don't leave out the Rastafarians. They also do not eat pork. They consider touching pork something akin to touching Death itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Virgil Caine View Post
        That's actually pretty interesting.

Americans are forbidden to eat horse, like Muslims and Jews are forbidden to eat pigs.

But in Australia, they have the sensible approach of allowing the hunting of their ferrel horses (the Australian counterparts of the American Mustang, which is a European import and not a native species).

But the nomadic peoples of Central Asia, Mongolia and Russia all traditionally eat horse. They probably would wonder why Americans treat horses like Hindis treat cows.
        Yeah I think the US horse meat ban probably goes back to a time when they hung horse thieves. When extremely isolated people could die without a horse to travel on to get supplies. Doesn't make much sense today, just too ingrained in our culture to change the laws.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
          Just curious, fam.
          I respect that but be careful and remember that old saying,curiosity killed the cow

Comment

Regarding Islam, found this translated exercept of a Quran verse online:

He has made it unlawful for you, that which dies of itself, the blood and the flesh of the swine and that on which the name of any other than God has been invoked. But he who is driven by necessity, being neither disobedient nor exceeding the limit, then surely, God is Most Forgiving, Merciful
            Essentially the Quran says all meat that is killed in the 'halal' way is fine except pork, which can never be deemed halal and is only acceptable to eat if your life depends on it.

I imagine like other things in major religious texts, it was influenced by the practical concerns/constraints of the time.
            Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 11-26-2017, 03:34 AM.

Comment

Because they perceive pigs as 'dirty' animals because they eat their own shyt.

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

Comment

Originally posted by Szef View Post
                Because they perceive pigs as 'dirty' animals because they eat their own shyt.

I see you admirin the fro bro

Comment

Because they don't believe in cannibalism.

Comment

Im muzzy and we dont eat da pig unless its one charming mof0ing pig

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EdpZG4YXELk

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                      Because they roll around in their own/and anyone elses shit
                      Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                      This^^^^^^
                      Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                      Its forbidden in the Old Testament to eat pork, but I think a rule got put in the New Testament to OK pork. Someone must have had a cheeky bacon roll and lobbied the writers to get the rules changed
                      Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
                      Exactly...
                      With all due respect, these answers don't really say anything.

On the first, so is it a sanitary concern? Because I'm pretty sure that these days, pork is perfectly safe in the way of sanitation.

In fact, it's poultry which has a particular salmonella risk associated with feces contamination, as I understand it.

As for the second, it seems equivalent to the Japanese answer for everything, "because those are the rules."

"But why can't we indulge in pork?"

"Because, those are the rules."

Doesn't leave me satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                      X