Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF is the point of a TED TALK?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [PLEASE HELP] WTF is the point of a TED TALK?

WTF is the point of a TED Talk exactly?

I always see like these unknown bloggers or people with no real job up there telling their sad story of how they were losers or afraid and are now successful. Like WTF?

Why do idiots watch this crap? Am I missing something?

There was a time when TED talks were about successful innovators, entrepreneurs, out of the box thinkers sharing their journey and the way of thinking etc .. now it's nothing but a clown show with globe travelers and celebrities coming in and sharing their experiences..

Comment

The point is if you're a kid and you can make fart noises with your armpits then you've got a chance to be like Steve Jobs for a day. All expenses paid.

Comment

I listen to the health and science ones. They're always interesting.

But I happen upon some crap too, some of the ways people make money is startling. Spent 11 Minutes the other day watching a bloke who runs an Emotionally Intelligent coffee shop. Basically he asks people their name twice when they buy something. Then he told a parable about a man falling down a hole.

I do think I'd probably be able to rote learn that whole business balls website and deliver about 20 TED talks

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
          There was a time when TED talks were about successful innovators, entrepreneurs, out of the box thinkers sharing their journey and the way of thinking etc .. now it's nothing but a clown show with globe travelers and celebrities coming in and sharing their experiences..
          Thats what I thought man. I always see peeps on their iPad watching TedTalks on planes and I'm like damn I gotta check this out, so I finally do, I watch 2 so far and I was like WTF?

It seems like anyone who has the balls to get up on stage can pretty much tell their life story. Are they getting paid to give a presentation or something?

The nerds in the audience are all so amazed what the speaker is saying and they are all saying the same basic generic crap like face your fears, don't put things off any longer, stop being negative LOL like no shat sherlock.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparked_26 View Post
            I listen to the health and science ones. They're always interesting.

But I happen upon some crap too, some of the ways people make money is startling. Spent 11 Minutes the other day watching a bloke who runs an Emotionally Intelligent coffee shop. Basically he asks people their name twice when they buy something. Then he told a parable about a man falling down a hole.

I do think I'd probably be able to rote learn that whole business balls website and deliver about 20 TED talks
            WTF? I saw the one with the asian chick she claimed to be a beauty pageant winner or something. her whole thing was she had stage fright or social interaction? So I'm like WTF? I then google her it doesn't even say what beauty pageant she was in or if she even won or placed. So why even bring that up? To tell the audience hey look at me I was hot enough to enter a beauty pageant?

I thought she had like 100K followers and when I see her Twitter and IG she has like only 300 LOL

Comment

Eh. Some are better than others. Like others said before, the science and health ones are pretty interesting.

From what I can tell, they're about sharing perspectives and information. Ideas worth spreading I think is their slogan.

It's funny though. There are TED Talks that were banned. One guy did a TED Talk on a psychedelic drug that some tribe in Africa uses as part of their culture and how great it is and how it opens your mind to a different way of life or some trippy **** like that.

Yeah, that one got banned.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
                Eh. Some are better than others. Like others said before, the science and health ones are pretty interesting.

From what I can tell, they're about sharing perspectives and information. Ideas worth spreading I think is their slogan.

It's funny though. There are TED Talks that were banned. One guy did a TED Talk on a psychedelic drug that some tribe in Africa uses as part of their culture and how great it is and how it opens your mind to a different way of life or some trippy **** like that.

Yeah, that one got banned.
                the only 2 i saw were like corny motivational speakers who told us how much of losers they used to be. i guess ill check out the science and health ones then.

Comment

Yeah they started out with a focus on tech innovation but like anything else mainstream academia sunk its teeth into it & it just became SJW's masturbating about their vacations in the third-world and trying to sell you their book

This is the only one you need to watch, he captures the ridiculousness pretty accurately

Last edited by ////; 11-17-2017, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                    WTF? I saw the one with the asian chick she claimed to be a beauty pageant winner or something. her whole thing was she had stage fright or social interaction? So I'm like WTF? I then google her it doesn't even say what beauty pageant she was in or if she even won or placed. So why even bring that up? To tell the audience hey look at me I was hot enough to enter a beauty pageant?

I thought she had like 100K followers and when I see her Twitter and IG she has like only 300 LOL
                    Crazy. I am related to a bloke who does a lot of these business motivational talks and based on his Facebook profile he is moneyed up. It's a weird one because I don't what job he had before that.

He's a good lad though and funny. I suppose he's like a sort of corporate comedian.

That said he had the balls to set up on his own and earn bucks. So he deserves everything he gets!

I work in the public sector. Not gonna lie I am jealous of these kind of guys a lot of the time. I give my current career about 8 years then I am gonna monetise the skills I have.

Comment

Working...
                    X