• Show
Clear All

• [REAL TALK] Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station

Detroit firefighter fired for bringing watermelon to station
    By: Taryn Asher
    POSTED: OCT 06 2017 09:50PM EDT
    VIDEO POSTED: OCT 06 2017 10:14PM EDT
    UPDATED: OCT 06 2017 11:27PM EDT
    DETROIT (WJBK) - Fired before he officially started.

Last Monday, 41-year-old Robert Pattison went to introduce himself to his fellow firefighters at Engine 55 at Joy and Southfield in Detroit.

Second Battallion Chief Shawn McCarty calls it a tradition for firefighters.
    "It's not mandatory, it's voluntary," he said. "You come in bearing gifts. The usual gift is doughnuts but you are allowed to bring whatever you want to bring in."

And Pattison, a probationary firefighter, decided to bring a watermelon wrapped in a pink ribbon.

We're told some African-American firefighters were instantly offended since 90 percent of the people who work at Engine 55 are black.

"When you get your first detail at a firehouse you pretty much know what you are getting yourself into," said Patrick Trout. "So you would have to say it was probably a bad call."

FOX 2: "Is it racially insensitive to bring a watermelon into a fire house?"

"To some people," McCarty said.

FOX 2 spoke to Pattison by phone who claims it was not a joke - and he did not mean to offend his fellow firefighters. But he clearly did.

Fire Commissioner Eric Jones says the Fenton native was officially discharged.

In a statement Jones says: "There is zero tolerance for discriminatory behavior inside the Detroit Fire Department. On Saturday, Sept. 30, 2017, at Engine 55, a trial firefighter (probationary employee) engaged in unsatisfactory work behavior which was deemed offensive and racially insensitive to members of the Detroit Fire Department.

"After a thorough investigation, it was determined that the best course of action was to terminate the employment of this probationary employee."

In a world where racial tensions run high, some tell me the trial firefighter should have known better. Trout doesn't know if he meant anything by it - but feels it was a bad choice.

"For sure by far it was,"

The question is did DFD take it too far?

FOX 2: "Should he have lost his job over a watermelon?"

"I don't think so," McCarty said. "Between what he did and what was there are a few things that could have been done."

http://www.fox2detroit.com/news/loca...lon-to-station

Who brings a watermelon as a gift to a new job. I mean look at the size of that thing it must have been a hassle to carry it.

And then who terminates an employee over a watermelon. The absurdity of this situation is too much for me.

I just wish I was there to see the face on the Black firefighters when he came through with that enormous watermelon
    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-08-2017, 07:27 AM.

Comment

What is the origin of that stereotype.

We don't have same ones here. Who doesn't like watermelon?

I remember driving past a potato field and I had an Irish Uncle in the front and an English friend of my Dads in the back. As calm as you like the lad in the back taps my Irish uncle on the back, points out the potato field and says: 'I suppose you'll be in there later!'

Honestly, tears of laughter I had. That was fun racism.

Comment

Seems like a nice guy who meant well.

Obviously not very bright or socially aware though, he's a 41 years old rookie firefighter and probably still lives with his parents.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

Who brings a watermelon as a gift to a new job. I mean look at the size of that thing it must have been a hassle to carry it.

And then who terminates an employee over a watermelon. The absurdity of this situation is too much for me.

I just wish I was there to see the face on the Black firefighters when he came through with that enormous watermelon
          I think they went..

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
            I think they went..

My ass would have got fired too. Wouldn't have been able to resist laughing after seeing the new guy come by with a huge watermelon. It would be funny even without the Black coworkers, but that just makes it 10x better.
            Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 10-08-2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Who brings a watermelon on the first day.. and it's a big ass watermelon too.. either it was on sale or the guy was clearly is not bright..

I think it's a good thing they fired him, I can't think of a crisis situation while on duty where he comes up with an idea worth considering..

Comment

I'm proud of my city. Zero tolerance for racism

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                  They were probably like, "what? That ain't cool man. But cut me a slice, bruh."

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    I'm proud of my city. Zero tolerance for racism
                    Ah comon now MC, I'm sure the guy didn't come by and say "I hear this is y'alls favorite" or something goofy like that. And even then I would think it requires at most a talk with the employee to sort out a minor issue like that.

Comment

Working...
                    X