Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have your opinions on gun control laws changed over recent incidents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
    Switzerland is loaded with guns and has little gun violence.
    You'd think with all the "people of a certain demographic" (white males), that there would be more mass murders

Comment

• Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
      You'd think with all the "people of a certain demographic" (white males), that there would be more mass murders
      Excellent point!

Comment

The U.S. has more mass shootings than any other country.

In one study, it has been estimated that 31% of public mass shootings occur in the U.S., although it has only 5% of the world's population. CNN cites a study by criminologist A. Lankford that finds that "there are more public mass shootings in the United States than in any other country in the world". The study concludes that "The United States and other nations with high firearm ownership rates may be particularly susceptible to future public mass shootings, even if they are relatively peaceful or mentally healthy according to other national indicators.Criminologist Gary Kleck criticized Adam's findings stating the study fails to provide evidence that gun ownership increases mass shootings. Mass shootings have also been observed to be followed by an increase in the purchase of weapons, but this phenomenon seems to be driven by a minority since neither gun owners nor non-owners report an increased feeling of needing guns. According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, founded by pro-gun advocate John Lott, however, the U.S. ranks 11th in the annual death rate from mass shootings from 2009 - 2015.

Comment

There are, its just called "war" or " spreading democracy" LOL.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
            There are, its just called "war" or " spreading democracy" LOL.
            I prefer the term, "liberaring" them

Comment

I prefer the term, "liberaring" them
              Liberating them or introducing them to freedom.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                The U.S. has more mass shootings than any other country.

In one study, it has been estimated that 31% of public mass shootings occur in the U.S., although it has only 5% of the world's population. CNN cites a study by criminologist A. Lankford that finds that "there are more public mass shootings in the United States than in any other country in the world". The study concludes that "The United States and other nations with high firearm ownership rates may be particularly susceptible to future public mass shootings, even if they are relatively peaceful or mentally healthy according to other national indicators.Criminologist Gary Kleck criticized Adam's findings stating the study fails to provide evidence that gun ownership increases mass shootings. Mass shootings have also been observed to be followed by an increase in the purchase of weapons, but this phenomenon seems to be driven by a minority since neither gun owners nor non-owners report an increased feeling of needing guns. According to the Crime Prevention Research Center, founded by pro-gun advocate John Lott, however, the U.S. ranks 11th in the annual death rate from mass shootings from 2009 - 2015.
                Yes we do, but even using the loosest definition of mass shooting. Over the last 50 years we have averaged roughly 3 a year with an average of 8 people being killed per event. So roughly 24 a year. This is what gets people's panties in a bunch?

Comment

• Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                  Yes we do, but even using the loosest definition of mass shooting. Over the last 50 years we have averaged roughly 3 a year with an average of 8 people being killed per event. So roughly 24 a year. This is what gets people's panties in a bunch?
                  Well its the loss of innocent lives I think that gets me worked up at least. The fact that you can be ruthlessly murdered at church or at a concert is a scary reality. I totally understand that other countries have it way worse but typically those are countries in civil war or in some kind of conflict. We have none of that and can be one of 8 at any time or our family members can be. Its a harsh/scary reality living in a free country.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
                    Well its the loss of innocent lives I think that gets me worked up at least.
                    So why aren't you blasting places like Chicago's gun laws, as they see hundreds of people murdered yearly?

You're hyped up on a VERY small percentage of murders, but ignoring where the most murders are occurring.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Barron View Post
                      did the Mexican drug war have any impact at all in Texas or is that statistic separate? it was heating up during 2010-2012 and many of the low level gangs in Texas fight for these cartels. surely there must have been spillage across borders.
                      I dunno about that.

But I'm pretty sure cartels try to keep their business south of the border

Bad for business to cause problems north.

I'm sure there has been spillover though.

Comment

Working...
                      X