No announcement yet.

30 Day Challenge!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by EdWins View Post
    true, and I get it. I know a lot of dudes who are listening to audiobooks now instead of the traditional way of reading.

Personally I think reading is more effective at storing info into your mind's database than listening, but 2 each is own. Either way its a good thing people still consume books one way or the other
    I tend to agree with that actually.

I'll often double down or triple down on chapters with normal or even slowed down speech that I find interesting, compelling or knowledge filled. And the books I most am looking forward to or am most curious about I generally will read the kindle version of them vs listening to the audiobook.

Comment

• Originally posted by EdWins View Post
      true, and I get it. I know a lot of dudes who are listening to audiobooks now instead of the traditional way of reading.

Personally I think reading is more effective at storing info into your mind's database than listening, but 2 each is own. Either way its a good thing people still consume books one way or the other
      Good point.. It has been found that your brain creates a snapshot of what you read in a book via a snapshot of say the page, paragraph or a line etc but fails to do so for a snapshoted version which is what we see on electronic device.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
        Good point.. It has been found that your brain creates a snapshot of what you read in a book via a snapshot of say the page, paragraph or a line etc but fails to do so for a snapshoted version which is what we see on electronic device.
        A lot of times when I'm recalling something I read I literally see it on the page, just as I read it, in my head. I've got a paper & kindle version of it in my head doe lol. I've never heard the theory or fact for most people, whatever the case, with paper & electronic being different to the brain.

The reading vs listening stuff makes all the sense in the world doe. Cuz its double work basically. If you are listening to something only your brain is working. If you are reading something you are obviously reading it, but you are also digesting it in your head as you read it. That would seemingly put more impact on your brain to retain it. Or I'd guess that to be a part of the why of it anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          A lot of times when I'm recalling something I read I literally see it on the page, just as I read it, in my head. I've got a paper & kindle version of it in my head doe lol. I've never heard the theory or fact for most people, whatever the case, with paper & electronic being different to the brain.

The reading vs listening stuff makes all the sense in the world doe. Cuz its double work basically. If you are listening to something only your brain is working. If you are reading something you are obviously reading it, but you are also digesting it in your head as you read it. That would seemingly put more impact on your brain to retain it. Or I'd guess that to be a part of the why of it anyway.
          Well mostly because when you are reading a book you are exercising more of your brain and you spend most of your senses on reading.
          Listening it's less retentive because few senses are in play

One thing I have noticed is I don't imagine a story/play as much as you do whilst I am reading and that imagination i have when I read a book is what replays for me to recollect that story or words.

Here is something interesting
          Not long ago, a group of psychologists at the University of Waterloo in Ontario investigated the way our minds respond to various forms of reading material. They had 235 test participants engage with three excerpts of Bill Bryson’s 2003 popular science book A Short History of Nearly Everything. The participants read one of the excerpts silently from a computer screen, read the second excerpt aloud off the screen, and listened to the third as the screen went blank.

During each of the three readings, the researchers tested for three cognitive impacts: mind-wandering, memory, and interest. Mind-wandering was measured with a prompt that appeared on the screen from time to time, asking participants whether or not they’d been paying attention. Memory was measured with a short true-or-false quiz after the excerpt. Interest was measured by participant rating.

Suffice it to say that listening and reading provided very different cognitive experiences. The minds of participants listening to the excerpt wandered significantly more than those reading it silently (which in turn wandered more than those reading aloud). The listening group also scored worse on the memory test than the reading groups did. And, oddly enough, listening even led to less interest in the passage compared to reading aloud (though not reading silently). The results were reported in the journal Frontiers in Psychology.
          https://www.fastcompany.com/3026224/...tful-and-bored
          Last edited by BoxingFan85; 11-01-2018, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
            I did the 30 day no sugar challenge back in 2016 and it was extremely difficult! I love eating sweets, cookies, pastries, etc., etc. but I should do this challenge again.

Don't rain on this dude's parade. There's naturally occurring sugar in fruits, vegetables, etc. The no sugar challenge is basically abstaining from anything that has "added" sugar to it. Eating an apple is OK, eating an apple pie, not OK.
            I just realized that you ask me for my challenge.

Well, I pray once a day daily. I will be bumping it up to twice daily for 30 days.

Comment

I did the 30 day no sugar challenge back in 2016 and it was extremely difficult! I love eating sweets, cookies, pastries, etc., etc. but I should do this challenge again.

Don't rain on this dude's parade. There's naturally occurring sugar in fruits, vegetables, etc. The no sugar challenge is basically abstaining from anything that has "added" sugar to it. Eating an apple is OK, eating an apple pie, not OK.
              yo what's up with you guys and jaded? ya'll are permabanning me (SunSpace) over revealing Zaroku? I'm tired of playing this game. I'm not coming back until ya'll unban.

Comment

• Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
                I just realized that you ask me for my challenge.

Well, I pray once a day daily. I will be bumping it up to twice daily for 30 days.
                So, basically I’m you’re committing to doing nothing (twice a day)? Leave my thread alone.

Comment

So, basically I’m you’re committing to doing nothing (twice a day)? Leave my thread alone.
                  Woah! You might think it's trivial but it is a serious issue for me.

Comment

• just got done trying not to drink for 30 days, lol did about 24

Comment

• 'Nother 30 day challenge coming up - May 1st. What's your challenge(s)?

My next 30 day challenges are:

• Practice noticing negative self talk and change it to be positive self talk

• Practice positive affirmations

• Quit Twitter (again)

• Reduce time on Boxingscene to 15-20 minutes a day and check in no more than 3 times a day

• Dance for at least 15 minutes a day

• Go to the gym 4 times a week for the next month

Comment

Working...
                      X