No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Horror Movies...any race

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
    I'm not a big fan of gore for the sake of gore, it should serve a purpose to the story or enhance the fear factor. I enjoyed The Descent, it had the suspense but also used gore where it was appropriate to the story.

I like movies with suspense and build up, I get tired of the cliché jump scares and the found footage genre has been overdone. I really like the Conjuring/Insidious/Annabelle movies.
    i try to find some ''good'' in horror movies. if theyre going to go the cheap n easy cliche route, they better do it right (unintentional campy humor ala evil dead) or convincing gore (most 80s slashes).

i enjoyed the exorcist, drag me to hell, 100 feet and a few other ghosts/spirits movies. mostly i stay away because the frights usually happen at night. are spirits day sleepers ?

as sick as it sounds, im a gore hound (torture pawn ) the 1st hostel, the saws, the 1st collector......rack up the body count.

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy The Great View Post
      i try to find some ''good'' in horror movies. if theyre going to go the cheap n easy cliche route, they better do it right (unintentional campy humor ala evil dead) or convincing gore (most 80s slashes).

i enjoyed the exorcist, drag me to hell, 100 feet and a few other ghosts/spirits movies. mostly i stay away because the frights usually happen at night. are spirits day sleepers ?

as sick as it sounds, im a gore hound (torture pawn ) the 1st hostel, the saws, the 1st collector......rack up the body count.

If you're into torture and gore this is the movie for you. I've tried so long to get someone to watch this but they all prove to be screamish b1tches.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
        If you're into torture and gore this is the movie for you. I've tried so long to get someone to watch this but they all prove to be screamish b1tches.

sry im pm instead of replying. thought it was in a different thread. i will check that out. im always looking for gore.

Comment

Why am I just discovering this thread?? I fu*king love horror movies this should be a sticky for the lounge.

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
          Don't Breathe is my favorite easily

Babadook
          Cabin in the woods
          10 Cloverfield Lane
          The Orphanage
          Saw Don't Breathe in theaters. Simply amazing.

10 Cloverfield Lane was real solid and had that claustrophobic atmosphere that creates tension just on that alone. Also John Goodman steals the show.

The autopsy of Jane Doe is a recently released, decent and original horror movie well worth a watch should anyone be on a late night horror hunt.

The Jane Doe was incredibly creepy just sitting there in the room.

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
          Some 'recent' ones i liked :

Sessions 9
          Lake Mungo
          It follows
          It's been awhile since I've seen Sessions 9, but I remember that I enjoyed it. I'll have to revisit it again.

It Follows is such an original story and you can tell they were so inspired by Halloween the way certain shots were done. I loved it.

what makes a good horror movie ?

sure, being ''scary'' should be expected....what about body count ? extreme violence ?
          i dont really get scared but if a scene is exceptionally graphic, im sold (must be well dont and not cartoonish).

edit....are there any black horror movies besides tales from the hood ?
          There are so many little things that can make a movie scary. Tight camera work, good editing, a great, original plot. For me, it's all about the setting and the score. The surrounding area has to have that right atmosphere / mood. Good set pieces. The score has to be done just right. Think of Halloween. In test screenings of Halloween, people thought it was awful. Then, John Carpenter did his classic Halloween score. The movie was changed. It was all about the score.

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
          Creepshow was a classic, that thing in the crate used to freak me out

Probably one of the best horror anthologies ever done.

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
          Yes. I've seen The Thing I don't know how many times and it just gets better and better.
          Once I start watching The Thing, I can't turn it off. I already know whats going to happen because I've seen it so many times. It's just that good.

I'm gonna add a few that I haven't seen anyone mention here, but I think you all will enjoy.

Hush.

Hush is similar to Don't Breathe in that it's a home invasion with a twist. It's just the opposite though. Instead of a blind guy, we get a deaf woman. It's on youtube and I highly recommend it to any horror fan.

Terrifier.

Terrifier isn't a full length movie, it's a short. It has the creepiest clown you've ever seen. They're making it into a full length film to be released this fall. That shorts also on youtube. Great practical effects, as the writer director's background is in special effects.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            Another good one. Not sure why this one didn't get more publicity. Solid all around.
            A lot of the best horror movies don't get publicity because they are from independent studios that are shot on a $50,000 budget and can't afford a marketing campaign.

Imo, the best indie films blow the blockbusters like Saw and all the recent horror remakes out of the water. The only recent blockbuster horror movie I can think of that was super solid, was Get Out.

That being said, there are A LOT of super ****ty indie horror movies. You just need to dig through the **** to find the gems sometimes. Finding the hidden gems makes it worth it though.

Comment

Originally posted by b morph View Post
              Why am I just discovering this thread?? I fu*king love horror movies this should be a sticky for the lounge.

There are so many little things that can make a movie scary. Tight camera work, good editing, a great, original plot. For me, it's all about the setting and the score. The surrounding area has to have that right atmosphere / mood. Good set pieces. The score has to be done just right. Think of Halloween. In test screenings of Halloween, people thought it was awful. Then, John Carpenter did his classic Halloween score. The movie was changed. It was all about the score.
              too true to the above. originality/creativity is a huge plus. sometimes campyness (evil dead, feast, hatchet, the cottage, what we do in the shadows and scream to an extent.....) is also a good thing.

i normally allow mediocre to semi terrible acting because theyre supposed to not be acting. their screen time is usually too brief for them to put in the effort.

what gets me upset are the lame remakes. jfc, the source material is already there. how can a cu/nt fnck it up ?!?!?!? 2 of the worst examples are the psycho remake where all the cu/nt did was add color and funny games (an intense foreign horror/drama). the original director wanted to cash in and do an american remake of his own movie and fncked it up.

green room
              goodnight mommy*
              timecrimes*
              pontypool
              i saw the devil*
              bloody reunion/to sir with love*
              the strangers
              seed
              borderland
              phantasm
              the sentinel......

so many great well done horror flicks that go almost unseen.

*=foreign

Comment

Saw Don't Breathe in theaters. Simply amazing.

10 Cloverfield Lane was real solid and had that claustrophobic atmosphere that creates tension just on that alone. Also John Goodman steals the show.

The Jane Doe was incredibly creepy just sitting there in the room.

It's been awhile since I've seen Sessions 9, but I remember that I enjoyed it. I'll have to revisit it again.

It Follows is such an original story and you can tell they were so inspired by Halloween the way certain shots were done. I loved it.

Probably one of the best horror anthologies ever done.

Once I start watching The Thing, I can't turn it off. I already know whats going to happen because I've seen it so many times. It's just that good.

I'm gonna add a few that I haven't seen anyone mention here, but I think you all will enjoy.

Hush.

Hush is similar to Don't Breathe in that it's a home invasion with a twist. It's just the opposite though. Instead of a blind guy, we get a deaf woman. It's on youtube and I highly recommend it to any horror fan.

Terrifier.

Terrifier isn't a full length movie, it's a short. It has the creepiest clown you've ever seen. They're making it into a full length film to be released this fall. That shorts also on youtube. Great practical effects, as the writer director's background is in special effects.
                The Thing is a masterpiece through and through.

I have seen Hush. Very good as well. Really all about the relationship between killer and victim. Excellent.

Comment

too true to the above. originality/creativity is a huge plus. sometimes campyness (evil dead, feast, hatchet, the cottage, what we do in the shadows and scream to an extent.....) is also a good thing.

i normally allow mediocre to semi terrible acting because theyre supposed to not be acting. their screen time is usually too brief for them to put in the effort.

what gets me upset are the lame remakes. jfc, the source material is already there. how can a cu/nt fnck it up ?!?!?!? 2 of the worst examples are the psycho remake where all the cu/nt did was add color and funny games (an intense foreign horror/drama). the original director wanted to cash in and do an american remake of his own movie and fncked it up.

green room
                  goodnight mommy*
                  timecrimes*
                  pontypool
                  i saw the devil*
                  bloody reunion/to sir with love*
                  the strangers
                  seed
                  borderland
                  phantasm
                  the sentinel......

so many great well done horror flicks that go almost unseen.

*=foreign
                  Brah, add this one to your list. It's a short film called terrifier. It's on YouTube came out in 2011. It's a short that was part of a horror anthology called All Hallows' Eve. It's got that gritty film effect on it that makes it look like an old school horror film.

It features this clown named Art. It is the creepiest clown you will ever see. And since I know you're a fu*ked up individual, you'll love the ending. I don't want to spoil it for you. It's that good. It's rather shocking really. Great practical effects.
                  Last edited by b Murphington; 07-01-2017, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Brah, add this one to your list. It's a short film called terrifier. It's on YouTube came out in 2011. It's a short that was part of a horror anthology called All Hallows' Eve. It's got that gritty film effect on it that makes it look like an old school horror film.

It features this clown named Art. It is the creepiest clown you will ever see. And since I know you're a fu*ked up individual, you'll love the ending. I don't want to spoil it for you. It's that good. It's rather shocking really. Great practical effects.

will do, thanks.

Comment

ok......at 1st i thought ''aussie...hhhmmm...love the accent but not so much their movies. BUT i was challenged.''

so i finally found a torrent of excellent quality and away i go.....

zzzzzzzzzzzz..................for the opening 45 minutes. i nearly gave up and was about to red k and g@y gift you.....

.......until he found the diary.

''whats that ? you want me to twist it ? thats a little weird but ok.''

this ranks extremely high. the hobbling scene in misery and donnie wahlberg crushing his ankle in saw 3 level....done repeatedly, doe !!!!!

the one thing that bugged me though..too much music.

a solid 8

Comment

Working...
                      X