Harvard Student submits rap album as thesis, graduates with honors

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
    Let me guess..

A bunch of lines about how society bad, whites are bad, cops are bad republicans bad..
    But not a single line about the savages in Chicago, Fatherhood, self accountablity, Baltimore schools, jobs.. you know, the stuff that actually matters
    He might touch on those issues. He probably won't be bashing them as hard as you would like but he might have reference them.

Comment

Along the lines was

"Fok the poliz!" And the professors dig it

Comment

Originally posted by AllBoxingAD View Post
        What did the school do wrong?

And what experience do you have to know what Harvard should or shouldnt be doing?
        How about the fact that rapping has nothing to do with being a software engineer..
        everyone *****es about asians and India taking all the h1 visas and taking jobs from our American engineers but those mofos are dedicated and focused on the job, not doing rap albums..
        So yes, Harvard is setting theses dudes up to be undercut by allowing them to make trivial rap albums.. how about create an algorithm or something that could actually benefit society.. that's what higher education use to do, now it's all social complaining and nothing that benefits society

Comment

I would totally understand this if the guy was studying English, or literature, or poetry, or cultural studies, or music. Even if it was like a Bachelor of Letters.

But computers? I think I would need to see the reasoning Harvard have for this, because it isn't immediately apparent.

Comment

Originally posted by Lomasexual View Post
            I would totally understand this if the guy was studying English, or literature, or poetry, or cultural studies, or music. Even if it was like a Bachelor of Letters.

But computers? I think I would need to see the reasoning Harvard have for this, because it isn't immediately apparent.
            Nah man. It is just a side thing to get honors added to their name. It doesn't seem that the side thing has to related to the degree.

Comment

Originally posted by siablo14 View Post
              Nah man. It is just a side thing to get honors added to their name. It doesn't seem that the side thing has to related to the degree.
              Well it says he submitted the thesis to the English department, safe guess is that English is his major (or one of his majors). The thesis was probably a requirement for honors in the major, as is often the case.

EDIT: I just looked him up on LinkedIn, he is an English major at Harvard. Apparently for three years while studying there he worked as a software developer for the school.
              Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 05-21-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                How about the fact that rapping has nothing to do with being a software engineer..
                everyone *****es about asians and India taking all the h1 visas and taking jobs from our American engineers but those mofos are dedicated and focused on the job, not doing rap albums..
                So yes, Harvard is setting theses dudes up to be undercut by allowing them to make trivial rap albums.. how about create an algorithm or something that could actually benefit society.. that's what higher education use to do, now it's all social complaining and nothing that benefits society

Did you even read the article?

Harvard undergraduates aren't obligated to submit senior theses, but most departments require it to graduate with honors. Often it takes the form of a research paper, but students can apply to turn in an artistic work as a creative thesis. Some submit screenplays, novels or poetry

It's optional and only required for graduating with honors. It also doesn't have to pertain to their major. It's not like he hasn't taken the required courses for his degree.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post
                  Well it says he submitted the thesis to the English department, safe guess is that English is his major (or one of his majors). The thesis was probably a requirement for honors in the major, as is often the case.

EDIT: I just looked him up on LinkedIn, he is an English major at Harvard. Apparently for three years while studying there he worked as a software developer for the school.
                  There we go! Who said he was an engineer? Who derailed the thread?

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob. View Post

Well that settles everything lol

Comment

America is getting "dumbed down" even in the top universities.

Comment

Working...
                      X