Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Japanese to learn the Queens english through MANUEL!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Japanese to learn the Queens english through MANUEL!

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39410915

Japan is struggling to make sure it has enough proficient English speakers when it hosts the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in 2020.

And the classic BBC comedy series Fawlty Towers is being deployed by some teachers in an attempt to give Japanese students an example of spoken English - rather than focusing on written language and grammar.

Japan's government and businesses want to use the Olympics to boost tourism and global trade and to present a positive image of Japan to the world.

So the government needs to ensure a supply of English speakers to be Olympic volunteers and work in the accommodation, tourism, and retail industries.

There is also a demand for professionals, such as doctors and nurses, to speak to visitors or competitors in English.

Japan's government has been working to bridge this English language gap.

The subject is now taught in school from when students are eight or nine years old and remains compulsory for the next seven years.

University students and school teachers have been sent on trips abroad to learn English, and many universities are giving language lessons to prospective Olympic volunteers.

There are even proposals to create an "English village" in Tokyo, populated entirely by English-speakers, where learners could immerse themselves in the language.

But early indications are that progress has been slow, and the country still comes surprisingly far down global rankings of English proficiency.

It's time for Zaruku to contribute by helping out the Japanese to learn English..

Comment

from what i gather it's very difficult for native japanese speakers to speak english. we have lots of sounds in our alphabet that they just don't have. english is damn hard to learn anyway, basically every linguistic "rule" that we have is broken in constancy.

Comment

When Royce Gracie came to the US in the late80s/early 90s he only spoke Portuguese.

He learned English primarily by watching Sesame Street.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
          from what i gather it's very difficult for native japanese speakers to speak english. we have lots of sounds in our alphabet that they just don't have. english is damn hard to learn anyway, basically every linguistic "rule" that we have is broken in constancy.
          Very true, one of my best friends in HS was a Japanese foreign exchange student. His English writing was very good, but he had some trouble speaking sometimes especially when we got into more serious conversations.

People make fun of Asians for mixing R and L, but they don't realize why which is because there is no L in the Japanese language, so they replace Ls with Rs. Other Asians like Laotians have no R in their language, so they replace that letter with an L.

I've studied Japanese and it's not that hard compared to other Asian languages. It's very consistent and the structure is more simple compared to English which is more flexible and dynamic of a language. I believe it's easier for an English speaker to learn Japanese than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
            When Royce Gracie came to the US in the late80s/early 90s he only spoke Portuguese.

He learned English primarily by watching Sesame Street.

I've known a lot of people who learned a lot of their English just from watching TV. I knew this European chick who said she learned English fast by watching American cartoons when she was back home.

Comment

Thats hilarious

Comment

Originally posted by Willy Wanker View Post
                I've known a lot of people who learned a lot of their English just from watching TV. I knew this European chick who said she learned English fast by watching American cartoons when she was back home.
                True that!!
                Like this European learning english through SONG!

Not a good idea.....

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                  It's time for Zaruku to contribute by helping out the Japanese to learn English..
                  Zaroku habla ESpagnol. no habla Ingles...

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                    Zaroku habla ESpagnol. no habla Ingles...
                    watch out for

Comment

Working...
                    X