No announcement yet.

Damn man. I leave for basic training in a couple hours

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    What % of guys quit or don't make it through basic training?

I was listening to Luke Thomas (an MMA guy who was in the Marines) a week or two ago & he got to talking about his time in basic & he said once you're signed up its a mfer to get kicked out cuz it f#cks with recruitment stats & a bunch of other random sh^t like that. He said when cats get injured they'll keep them on the island for a year or however long & start them all over in basic training once their healed lol. He said a couple guys he knew of got hurt more than once & had to go through basic partially more than once + completely eventually.
    My platoon started with 82 (?) Recruits or something close to that. It was in the 80's.

We graduated with 52.

And yup when a recruit gets injured or sick you go to EHP (emergency hospital platoon) and hang out with all the other sick and crippled kids until you heal up and are able to train again.

There was this one poor bastard I heard of. He was there for like 7 months. He just couldn't run to save his ****ing life and could not pass the running portion of the PT test.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
      My platoon started with 82 (?) Recruits or something close to that. It was in the 80's.

We graduated with 52.

And yup when a recruit gets injured or sick you go to EHP (emergency hospital platoon) and hang out with all the other sick and crippled kids until you heal up and are able to train again.

There was this one poor bastard I heard of. He was there for like 7 months. He just couldn't run to save his ****ing life and could not pass the running portion of the PT test.
      Damn Beer awesome stories thanks for serving bro.

I actually was slated to do Air Force when I was about 23, but then I landed a pretty decent job and worked my way up the ladder but of course the market took a dive and you all know how all the senior management got screwed in our company. I often wonder what would have happened if I did end up going to Air Force as planned. I'd be going into the officer program and traveling the world and probably having bastard kids all over LOL. One of my cousins ended up doing that he got some Norwegian chick pregnant they tried to get married but then he went MIA , claiming she was psycho.

But yeah I often wonder how my life would go if I did end up in Air Force as planned. I know several Air Force career vets who retired early and all they do is vacation now. They all live in the south where cost of living is nothing, but yeah thats still a great life to have.

Comment

the military is by far the biggest employer in the US, and i find that most people who join want to leave, and say they joined for the same reasons you did, because they ddin't have any other options.

they're brilliant recruiters. you gotta be to deal with that kind of volume and turnover. they set up this "better than nothing" form of employment and attract, i hate to say it, the bottom of the barrel.

my cousin was a marine for three years. he's literally counting the days until they let him out for good. he was a knucklehead and not fit for college, so it was good that he got into something that would provide him with structure. if you take advantage of the programs they offer [loans for homes with the best interest rates in the coutnry, same with school loans, etc,] you can get a leg up that you'd otherwise not get. but a lot of the people who are drawn to a job where people tell you when to wake up, if you can piss, what to eat, etc, don't have the mental faculties or the right people around them who can help them take advantage of the things the military does offer.

Comment

I was Air Force. Admittedly one of the easier boot camps around. Though today, the Navy has it a little easier. From what I've been told, the Coast Guard basic training is the second most rigorous behind he Marines.

Basic training is a game. You don't take the drill instructors shouting personal. In fact, I probably laughed my ass off every day at something they did or said. Someone was always ****ing up. You'd be surprised how many fat, out of shape 18 year olds end up in basic and can't run a mile, which is what they started us off with for the first week. One kid almost died. Too many years playing video games and eating junk. In the first week you could always tell which ones would quit or try to get out. We also had a guy who tried to slash his wrists with a disposal razor. Afterwards our drill instructor pulled us in a room and showed us the correct way to slash your wrists if you really want to kill yourself. Up the vein, not across.

The military is what you make of it. You can accomplish a lot and there are a lot of opportunities to make something of yourself or you can underachieve and just get by. Choose your job wisely going in. Do your research. If you are a natural **** up or lazy, get that out of your system before you enlist. Today, the military actually turns down many applicants, they can afford to be picky now. The job market sucks and people in the know, realize that they can go pretty far in the military if they play it right.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
            I was Air Force. Admittedly one of the easier boot camps around. Though today, the Navy has it a little easier. From what I've been told, the Coast Guard basic training is the second most rigorous behind he Marines.

Basic training is a game. You don't take the drill instructors shouting personal. In fact, I probably laughed my ass off every day at something they did or said. Someone was always ****ing up. You'd be surprised how many fat, out of shape 18 year olds end up in basic and can't run a mile, which is what they started us off with for the first week. One kid almost died. Too many years playing video games and eating junk. In the first week you could always tell which ones would quit or try to get out. We also had a guy who tried to slash his wrists with a disposal razor. Afterwards our drill instructor pulled us in a room and showed us the correct way to slash your wrists if you really want to kill yourself. Up the vein, not across.

The military is what you make of it. You can accomplish a lot and there are a lot of opportunities to make something of yourself or you can underachieve and just get by. Choose your job wisely going in. Do your research. If you are a natural **** up or lazy, get that out of your system before you enlist. Today, the military actually turns down many applicants, they can afford to be picky now. The job market sucks and people in the know, realize that they can go pretty far in the military if they play it right.

can you imagine an administrator at the biggest employer in the world doing that?

if somebody did kill himself that guy probbly wouldn't even feel like an *******. and if they didn't have the wrold's most powerful government behind them and weren't in control of the courts that family would have a seven figure lawsuit settlement.

it's really no wonder that it appeals to and recruits people primarily from the absolute bottom of the barrel. at least you were air force. those guys are the smart ones. i used to feel the same way wheni was an elctrical apprentice in my early 20's and home for the summer from college. yeah, i work with dead end, immature idiots, but they're the smartest of the idiots. basically every painter we ever worked with with drunk or high on pills, so at least we weren't those guys!

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
              can you imagine an administrator at the biggest employer in the world doing that?

if somebody did kill himself that guy probbly wouldn't even feel like an *******. and if they didn't have the wrold's most powerful government behind them and weren't in control of the courts that family would have a seven figure lawsuit settlement.

it's really no wonder that it appeals to and recruits people primarily from the absolute bottom of the barrel. at least you were air force. those guys are the smart ones. i used to feel the same way wheni was an elctrical apprentice in my early 20's and home for the summer from college. yeah, i work with dead end, immature idiots, but they're the smartest of the idiots. basically every painter we ever worked with with drunk or high on pills, so at least we weren't those guys!
              That was a long time ago, I'm sure military basic training is much more kindler and gentler today. Today you can't raise your voice at a recruit without being snitched on, never mind some of the shyt that went on in decades prior.

Air Force was typically harder to get into, required higher ASVAB scores, yet there were so many dumbasses getting in, I had to wonder how they even passed the test to get in. Officers with college degrees weren't much smarter. I remember one genius lieutenant who sat behind me during the classroom portion of our M-16 refresher training. Idiot was pointing the unloaded rifle at the back of people's heads and pulling the trigger, thinking it was funny. He was told by the training NCO to leave.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                That was a long time ago, I'm sure military basic training is much more kindler and gentler today. Today you can't raise your voice at a recruit without being snitched on, never mind some of the shyt that went on in decades prior.
                I recently read a book telling the stories of several Marines who saw combat in the Pacific in WWII.

One man told of his first day at boot camp. The drill instructor was a combat veteran of Guadalcanal and he was yelling at the recruits.

One recruit smarted off about about how he'd kick the DI's butt if the DI didn't have a gun on him. The DI threw his pistol to the ground and told the kid 'Now what?'

The kid swung on the DI and got a serious butt kicking.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
                  I recently read a book telling the stories of several Marines who saw combat in the Pacific in WWII.

One man told of his first day at boot camp. The drill instructor was a combat veteran of Guadalcanal and he was yelling at the recruits.

One recruit smarted off about about how he'd kick the DI's butt if the DI didn't have a gun on him. The DI threw his pistol to the ground and told the kid 'Now what?'

The kid swung on the DI and got a serious butt kicking.
                  My grandfather served during WWII. I remember him telling me when they were outside for an open-ranks inspection, the DI noticed he had three short whiskers on his chin that he had missed while shaving. The DI took out his KABAR knife and shaved the three whiskers off his face with the knife, taking a little skin with it. He wasn't allowed to flinch.

Times have changed. Today, you can actually get your DI in trouble if he calls you a name or insults you. I wonder how these snowflakes will hold up in combat or if captured by ISIS. LMAO!

Comment

Originally posted by TheGR8TESTOAT View Post
                    Damn Beer awesome stories thanks for serving bro.

I actually was slated to do Air Force when I was about 23, but then I landed a pretty decent job and worked my way up the ladder but of course the market took a dive and you all know how all the senior management got screwed in our company. I often wonder what would have happened if I did end up going to Air Force as planned. I'd be going into the officer program and traveling the world and probably having bastard kids all over LOL. One of my cousins ended up doing that he got some Norwegian chick pregnant they tried to get married but then he went MIA , claiming she was psycho.

But yeah I often wonder how my life would go if I did end up in Air Force as planned. I know several Air Force career vets who retired early and all they do is vacation now. They all live in the south where cost of living is nothing, but yeah thats still a great life to have.
                    Yeah looking back I should have just joined the damn Air Force. I hated the Marines when I was in it. Well like 90% of the time lol.

But looking back I can't complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                      Yeah looking back I should have just joined the damn Air Force. I hated the Marines when I was in it. Well like 90% of the time lol.

But looking back I can't complain.
                      You're a Marine.

Are you familiar with the fairly recent news regarding the Iwo Jima flag raising picture?

Comment

Working...
                      X