No announcement yet.

Why I think Star Wars: The Force Awakens is WAY OVERRATED

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    I thought it was below par, but in the absence of that option, I went for "sucked".

What the other six movies had, even those highly questionable prequels, was a sense of sincerity. They believed in their own universe, and the jokes, by and large, were contained within the narrative.

Here we've got constant post-modern deconstruction and nods towards the audience. One of the greatest jokes in the original trilogy is when Han and Chewie have a conversation:

"RRrrrrrarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr."
    "What's that, Chewie? You feel like a wank?"

But here Rey (ISTR) goes "wait... you can understand what he's saying?"

Jesus wept. Way to **** on the joke FFS. You can't joke about something that's already a joke.

When we got to Ford (phoning it in) virtually winking to the camera and going "there's always a way to destroy a Death Star" I actually muttered "**** off" under my breath.

For me, the problem is not (instrinsically) with the characters/plot/story, etc., but with the entire ethos behind it.
    See I thought Han was one of the better parts throughout, but I totally agree about the scene you are talking about.

Han: There's always a way to destroy these things
    BRIEF PAUSE....
    Leia: Han's right!

Lol C'mon now just shotty writing.

Comment

Originally posted by MaD vEiN View Post
      Midway through the film, after figuring out the familiarity of the original plot, i already knew Han Solo would die. And in my opinion, it never holds the same gravity of emotional impact the way Old Ben Kenobi's death.
      Which is why to me they shouldn't have revealed any connection that Han had to Kylo until the very end when he killed him. Once they said he was Kylo's father, and noticing how it was following the same plot as A New Hope....I knew Han would die too lol And while I thought it was executed well for the most part.......it wasn't in the same league as Obi Wan died.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
        The worst cringe moment for me was when Rey read Kylo's mind and was like "You're afffraid....afraid you'll never be as powerful.....as darth vaderrrr"

CORN CORN CORN. CRINGE CRINGE CRINGE. Just have Kylo try to read her mind, and she unknowingly blocks him from doing so like he does, because of her own gifts with the force. Boom he would know she's gifted with the force, more than she knows, and would rid us from one of the cheesiest moments in the movie.
        Yeah that would have worked better. If that was the best version/take of that scene, I wouldn't want to see the one's that didn't make the cut!

I think they could have toned down a lot of the things she done in the film, like how she could use the force to pull the light sabre, manipulate the guard and could defeat Kylo Ren all in the space of a day!!?? these things just magically happening with no prior knowledge of the force. How would she even know she could do that to the guard?

Maybe the next one will explain things and make things more believable? She looked about 5 when she was dropped on that planet (in the vision) and younglings were initiated between 4 and 8 and already being trained in the force and with a light sabre in the Yoda Days. If Luke had been training Jedi or younglings in the traditional way then it's entirely possible she knows these things from a young age. A theory being, her memory's have been suppressed by the force (Luke) to protect her and hide her from the dark side (Snoke)

Comment

It was good. The girl was good, the pilot Poe should've had the most screen time, as his character was the most interesting one of the new bunch, and the black dude sucked. It looked like he was there to fill a quota or something.

But now I hear they want to make them gay or put some gay characters in the series. wft. That would make it worse than the prequel trilogy. I'd rather watch an entire movie of nothing but Jar Jar Binks than some **** agenda.

But I liked it better than the prequels and Return of the Jedi and it's muppets
          Last edited by Death_Adder; 04-18-2016, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vinnykin View Post
            Yeah that would have worked better. If that was the best version/take of that scene, I wouldn't want to see the one's that didn't make the cut!

I think they could have toned down a lot of the things she done in the film, like how she could use the force to pull the light sabre, manipulate the guard and could defeat Kylo Ren all in the space of a day!!?? these things just magically happening with no prior knowledge of the force. How would she even know she could do that to the guard?

Maybe the next one will explain things and make things more believable? She looked about 5 when she was dropped on that planet (in the vision) and younglings were initiated between 4 and 8 and already being trained in the force and with a light sabre in the Yoda Days. If Luke had been training Jedi or younglings in the traditional way then it's entirely possible she knows these things from a young age. A theory being, her memory's have been suppressed by the force (Luke) to protect her and hide her from the dark side (Snoke)
            That's most likely what they are going to do lol Even still it rubbed me the wrong way

She learns how to pilot the falcon like a god damn seasoned pro, fixes problems on it that even Han couldn't figure out and he's been flying the thing for 40-50 years, pulls off jedi mind tricks, uses the force to pick up a saber like 50 feet away, beats a trained dark side user's ass, and reads his mind using the force all in a day or two lol

And what killed the duel for me was how is Finn, a garbage man janitor by his own admission, going to last and get a blow on even an injured Kylo Ren who is shown to be a badass with extreme gifts throughout the film??? And for the first half of their fight, Rey is running on the defensive against Kylo, and then boom.....he mentions the force and then she's like "Yooooo......the force" and goes full jedi badass berserker lol and completely annihilates him lol Just ******ed if you ask me

Comment

Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
              It was good. The girl was good, the pilot Poe should've had the most screen time, as his character was the most interesting one of the new bunch, and the black dude sucked. It looked like he was there to fill a quota or something.

But now I hear they want to make them gay or put some gay characters in the series. wft. That would make it worse than the prequel trilogy. I'd rather watch an entire movie of nothing but Jar Jar Binks than some **** agenda.
              Finn was just there for me. He didn't help or hurt. I think he was a little too much humor in certain moments, but that's just me. Poe was cool, but one dimensional, maybe they will add more for him next time??? Rey is alright, but too perfect. I'm not a sexist, I'm just judging her at the same standard as a male lead.

I'd say BB8 was definitely the best new character, but even BB8 really didn't do much beyond the first half of the movie at all.

Comment

Finn was just there for me. He didn't help or hurt. I think he was a little too much humor in certain moments, but that's just me. Poe was cool, but one dimensional, maybe they will add more for him next time??? Rey is alright, but too perfect. I'm not a sexist, I'm just judging her at the same standard as a male lead.

I'd say BB8 was definitely the best new character, but even BB8 really didn't do much beyond the first half of the movie at all.
                I liked Han the most in that movie. Harrison Ford really brought it and didn't sleep walk through it like in the last Indiana Jones movie. I guess it was because he knew Han was going to get killed off.

I would've really have liked to seen Han and Luke in a scene together though.

Comment

Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
                  I liked Han the most in that movie. Harrison Ford really brought it and didn't sleep walk through it like in the last Indiana Jones movie. I guess it was because he knew Han was going to get killed off.

I would've really have liked to seen Han and Luke in a scene together though.
                  Yeah I thought Han Solo was one of the best parts too.

Han seemed like the funny cynical guy still, but older and aged, and had obviously been through some ****. Leia seemed like she just got out of rehab lol One of the worst parts

Comment

Yeah I thought Han Solo was one of the best parts too.

Han seemed like the funny cynical guy still, but older and aged, and had obviously been through some ****. Leia seemed like she just got out of rehab lol One of the worst parts
                    Apart from the "phone in" element of it (did he looked like he gave two s.hits when he died?), what bothered me was that 90% of his dialogue was as if he hadn't existed since Return of the Jedi.

Take silly little post-modern bits like him saying to Chewbacca "can I try your bow for a bit, so I can see what it's like, ****?" They've been travelling together for over 3-4 DECADES and the ****'s NEVER thought to ask that before?

Comment

I liked it but not as much as i thought i would, i think this movie was just prep work for the sequels, which im looking forward to

The acting, scenery everyhing great, just next will be better

Comment

Working...
                      X