Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is usually the reason Americans join the military?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I joined because I wasn't doing anything with my life and a friend took me to the recruiting station because he was planning to enlist. I had dropped out of college and couldn't keep a job. All I wanted to do was party. The way my life was going, I probably would have ended up as someones prison ***** eventually. I was just a punk kid.

I served six years and am grateful for what it did for me. I grew up a lot. Gained a lot of discipline. Saw some of the world that I wouldn't have seen if I didn't enlist. My college expenses were taken care of after I got out as well.

I got out because I got married. Just had a daughter. My contract was about up and I didn't want the strain of military life to ruin my family. I was sick of the lifestyle anyways. Having to follow a strict schedule all of the time. Always having to be accounted for no matter what I was doing. The military always has to know what your up to when your in there. They do take good care of you though. Pay for your food, lodging, and medical expenses.

Like I said, I was a punk kid and it did a lot of good for me. I am one of those people that believe everyone should have to serve at least 2 years for a mandatory enlistment. I work in public education now and I see a lot of kids it would definitely help. I don't think we would have all of the social issues we have with the younger generation if they were straightened out in boot camp. Lots of people would probably like it and stay in. I had a lot of friends that said they hated it but ended up reenlisting. It's not all bad if you want to live in a structured life style. You can retire after 20 years and it looks good on a resume, not to mention all of the other benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
      I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture... and kill them. I wanted to be the first kid on my block to get a confirmed kill!
      Is this a hero?

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
        Some do to serve their country but I believe most do to get an education and/or learn a trade.
        Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        some have a real sense of wanting to serve their country. For most, I think its the lack of opportunity combined with a recruiting station located close by the areas where opportunities are the fewest.
        I don't get why these will be considered heroes. Of course the some that do it for the love of the country should. But for lack of opportunity or to get education, should these be considered heroic?

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
          Is this a hero?
          Yes. Now get on your knees and let me put my M4 in your mouth

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post

Admiral Sweet Pea

Has a ring to it.
            Rear Admiral Sweet Pea.

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

Comment

Is this a hero?

what's up your ass dude?

it bothers you that his service gets more respect than your 6-figures?

Comment

Is it to serve USA? Or because he/she can't get a job?

This is not a troll question. I was born in the Philippines and I do notice that Americans are more patriotic and treat ex-military/veterans as heroes. Compared to Philippines, I can count on my fingers people I know personally that went to military.
                Military in U.S. and from your country are quite POLAR opposite.

U.S. Military are not corrupt. and join for the love of the country.

Joining military in your country is their way of gaining wealth through corruption. And a way to intimidate their peers.

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
                  what's up your ass dude?

it bothers you that his service gets more respect than your 6-figures?
                  Lmao what? I just remember this thread when I created one of my "intelligent" threads.. I couldn't care less about beercules.. they can give him the purple medal for all I care..

but I do am fascinated with the very high regard and respect military men get here in the US.. It's not like that in the Philippines..

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                    Military in U.S. and from your country are quite POLAR opposite.

U.S. Military are not corrupt. and join for the love of the country.

Joining military in your country is their way of gaining wealth through corruption. And a way to intimidate their peers.
                    Yes, the military officers are usually viewed as corrupt so they don't get the same respect here... The low ranking military men, the ones that die in battle get some respect but nowhere near the respect US give to their veterans

Comment

Yes, the military officers are usually viewed as corrupt so they don't get the same respect here... The low ranking military men, the ones that die in battle get some respect but nowhere near the respect US give to their veterans
                      Good!! now you understand /close thread....

Comment

Working...
                      X