Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The ten most overrated stand up comedians of all time...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ten most overrated stand up comedians of all time...

1. George Carlin

Carlin doesn't tell jokes - he preaches viewpoints. This would be okay, were it not for the fact that he looks like the kind of guy who would get an erection in a crèche.

So you pay to see someone to make you laugh, and, yes, think, but instead you've got a guy who looks like he sniffs the knicker drawer at a kindergarten getting on his pulpit about some progressive-yet-sill-reactionary bullshit that would have the average BS Lounge member think was inspired. The success of Carlin comes down to the stupidity of your average Fat Yank, whereby his smugly pointing out something that is blindingly obvious can be seen as "eye opening material":

"You ever notice that when you take a shit, it comes out of your ass? And then you have to wipe it afterwards, otherwise you get shit in your pants?"

"Fuck yeeeeeeeeeeeah, George! That's hilarious! I'd never freakin' thought of that before!"

One of my least-favourite (favorite, Fat Yanks) routines of his that he did was that knee-jerk one he performed called "My Buddy Beercules":

"You ever notice that we've grown up spoon-fed and pussyish in this country these days? That if you went into a Bar Mitzvah and asked for a pork sandwich people would be so soft and entitled they'd take offence? This is what's happened to bring this country down, people. These days we're forced to refer to Beercules as "of the persuasion of a derogatory term for a vagina". That's just pure corporate speak, invented by the CIA to stop us wondering why there's poverty in Baltimore. That's right, folks. Seriously, just consider all the syllables there... "of the persuasion of a derogatory term for a vagina". Who talks like that? Only the companies who control all the money and tell us what we can and can't say, that's right, folks. We all know that Beercules is a ****."

He's a comic genius... if you're easily impressed and easily pleased.

were it not for the fact that he looks like the kind of guy who would get an erection in a crèche.
    but instead you've got a guy who looks like he sniffs the knicker drawer at a kindergarten
    Woah watch out Anorak people might start to realize who you really are if you keep dropping hints.

Should be an interesting list. *Cough* Kevin Hart *Cough*

Comment

2. Bill Hicks

A guy sporting what looks dangerously close to a mullet, he's the poster boy for people who want their comedians to be "kewl", sporting a faux-attitude that can normally be summed up as "I'm so rebellious I actually smoke cigarettes - wild, huh? - and if people tell me not to, I say 'fuck off, Buddy'."

The guy, making up his entire act out of old Dennis Leary routines, achieved a kind of Cobainesque immortality by doing everyone a favour (favor, FY) and dropping dead. He's like the James Dean of comedy, the guy that even people who have never ****ing heard him will go "Hicks is my favorite comedian, he represents ME." The kind of people who go around with hipster beards and masturbate to Wolf Alice records. He's like a drug fix... you think taking heroin makes you cool? Well tell everyone you like Bill Hicks, it makes you less of a ****.

I'm not saying Hicks isn't funny, he can be, but his mock-angry persona - when he just looks like a student who enjoys pretzels - makes him a prime fellatio target for any fuggen betas who want to present themselves as angry young men, misunderstood by the system. He's like the stand up equivalent of a rifle in a high school.

Probably my least favourite (favorite, Fat Yanks) routine of his that he did was that one called "My Buddy Beercules":

"So did I mention I fucking smoke? That's right, I'm really angry and anarchic, even though I look like I should be drinking lattes. Anyway, what really gets to me is when people say smoking kills you. You know the logic behind that? You can die anyway, so like... me breathing in nicoteen which is proven to cause cancer after long term effects means nothing, right? I can get cancer from it - like I did when I was in my early 30s - but someone who doesn't smoke can get another disease, or die in a car accident, or something like that. You see how I've made a completely irrevelant point there? If you smoke as well, get on board with that and make like I've said something that makes any sense at all. Maybe even put a poster up of me in your student flat. So I'll carry on smoking, and might even smoke with my buddy Beercules. Did I mention that he's a ****?"

Comment

Pryor??????????

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          Pryor??????????
          I'm done for tonight, I'll see how we get on. I do like Pryor tbh.

In some ways it's not how good/bad the comedian is, more how lauded they become. Hicks is practically deified.

I did consider putting in some Green Teef stand ups, and still might, but then a lot of people won't have heard of them, and I won't get as many bites.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
            I'm done for tonight, I'll see how we get on. I do like Pryor tbh.

In some ways it's not how good/bad the comedian is, more how lauded they become. Hicks is practically deified.

I did consider putting in some Green Teef stand ups, and still might, but then a lot of people won't have heard of them, and I won't get as many bites.
            Prime Chris Rock is great.

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
              Prime Chris Rock is great.
              I can see how some could argue against Rock, but he does tickle my personal funny bone.

Comment

Kevin Hart. Shouting shouting, some racial stereotype, SHOUTING louder, pulls a silly face. Rinse and repeat.

About as funny as following through on an airplane.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
                  I can see how some could argue against Rock, but he does tickle my personal funny bone.

Hannibal Buress has picked up where Patrice O'Neill sadly left off.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ehrmantraut View Post
                    Kevin Hart. Shouting shouting, some racial stereotype, SHOUTING louder, pulls a silly face. Rinse and repeat.

About as funny as following through on an airplane.
                    If anyone says Kevin Hart is a great comedian then they're a **** anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X