No announcement yet.

Official 2015 Rugby World Cup Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...viewing-record

A record 25 million Japanese stayed up late to watch their team demolish Samoa in their third game of the Rugby World Cup, in the latest demonstration of the country’s newfound love of the sport.

The Brave Blossoms’ 26-5 victory in Milton Keynes on Saturday means Japan – rank outsiders at the start of the tournament – are still in with a chance of making the quarterfinals for the first time in World Cup history.

Japan must beat the USA on Sunday and hope that other results in Pool B go their way, namely a Samoan victory over Scotland this Saturday.

Japan’s match against Samoa was watched by around a fifth of Japan’s entire population of 128 million, and garnered an audience share of 64 percent – making it the biggest national viewing audience in rugby history.

The previous record of 20.7 million was set in 2007, when the French broadcaster TF1 showed England defeat France in Paris in the semi-final of the World Cup.

“This is a significant result for the game in Japan. It shows that the general population there appreciate the sport and the amazing performances of their national team over the past few weeks,” said World Rugby chief executive Brett Gosper.

“Their style of play has really caught the imagination of rugby fans around the world and, as these broadcast numbers indicate, in Japan.”

The boost in interest could not have been better times, as Japan will become the first country outside of the “rugby heartlands” to host the next tournament, in 2019, Gosper added. “It really has given the event a major shot in the arm.”

The team’s surprise victory over South Africa in the opening weekend of the tournament – the biggest upset in the sport’s history – was greeted with disbelief in Japan. That quickly gave way to optimism that the side could make it to the knockout stages.

While rugby’s popularity in Japan has never matched that of baseball and football, the country’s media are finally giving the sport the coverage that fans say it has long deserved.

Japan had only ever won one match at the Rugby World Cup – against Zimbabwe in 1991 – before its 34-32 win over South Africa on 18 September. The Japanese lost their next game to Scotland, but victory over Samoa kept their World Cup fairytale alive.

Their Australian coach, Eddie Jones, described Saturday’s record viewing figures as “incredible, absolutely incredible”.

“That’s just more fantastic impetus as we head to 2019,” Jones said in an interview with Kyodo News. “The team moving forward is important but in terms of achieving a legacy it will hopefully inspire younger players to play and encourage coaches to coach. Hopefully the (Japan Rugby Football Union) will grasp this opportunity with both hands.”

While Japan quickly became every neutral’s favourite team, expat and Japanese traveling fans have won praise for their devotion as they followed their compatriots to Brighton, Gloucester and Milton Keynes, with a second trip to Gloucester this weekend.

The desire to be part of one of the game’s defining moments saw Japanese fans close down an official rugby World Cup merchandise shop after they emptied it of team merchandise.

Gosper said the store in Oxford Street had been unable to cope with the sheer number of Japanese fans snapping up mementoes. He tweeted: “We had to close #RWC2015 official merchandise store on Oxford St yesterday due to overwhelming merchandise demand from the Japanese public.”

Back in Japan, daytime TV presenters marked Japan’s appearance on the world rugby stage dressed in team’s famous cherry-and-white shirt. Ayumu Goromaru, the fullback who contributed 24 of Japan’s 34 points against the Springboks, has been hailed as a national hero, with one website offering parents tips on how to rear a future “Goro”.

Kazue Hattori, a recent convert to the sport, has watched both Japan’s matches since their famous victory over the Springboks. “I went to a rugby sevens tournament once but it didn’t do much for me,” she said. “This has all been a real surprise. I really hope they can progress – it can only be good for the sport in Japan.”

Lori Henderson, the Scottish executive director of the British Chamber of Commerce in Japan, said: “I really hope this will lead to a groundswell in grassroots involvement in rugby. It’s also good to see Japan incorporating foreign-born players into the team. There’s a lesson in that for Japan as it prepares for 2019 … homegrown and foreign players working together to create such great results on the pitch.”
    Wow. Great for the sport.

Sorry to the Scotsman on here, but im cheering for Japan to get through

Comment

• lol. love how the rest of the twats in the posh box are politely clapping while Maradonna is just going mental.

top comment on YT

Argentina need that guy in the lineouts. He can get his hand to any ball.

Comment

• Aus vs Wales coming up. Crunch game. Expecting Aus to win, probably by 10 or so points. Will be close but I expect Aus to pull away in the last quarter of the game.

This set up a meeting with Japan or Scotland in the quarters, then I assume South Africa in the Semis and the All Blacks in the final.

Can't wait - going to be a massive game.

Comment

• 1. Best game of the tournament thus far.

2. That was as blatant a straight red as humanly possible.

3. Why is there an American flag flying alongside the Scottish one instead of a Samoan one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr America View Post
            This Australian team isn't all that, they are the usual bleached blonde prima-donnas, they will crumble in the english conditions under pressure like they usually do. The rest of a group isn't much of a problem really, fiji arent going to do anything to us playing at home, and Wales I don't think have the ability to beat us in that environment. We should be expecting to top our group.

If we do that, the quarter final will be a straightforward win, there are no threats in that group other than S.A who will win the group easily

So we will probably face france or ireland in the semis, again i think that's very winnable.

The Kiwis are basically in the final already due to their side of the draw containing no real threats, and I can't see us beating them in a final, they are more at risk in quarters and semis,
            I like how you wrote the aussie team off before the tournament.

We were the ones who stopped nz's win streak with a draw and then we defeated them but according to you it was a fluke.

Time for you to eat some humble pie

Comment

• This Aussie defence man!

Comment

• Defense wins games.

Wales were literally camped on our 5m line for 15min. 15 vs 13 and they still couldn't score. That was literally one of the best defensive efforts I have ever witnessed.

Comment

• Originally posted by RAV3N View Post
                  I like how you wrote the aussie team off before the tournament.

We were the ones who stopped nz's win streak with a draw and then we defeated them but according to you it was a fluke.

Time for you to eat some humble pie
                  Originally posted by Mr America View Post
                  This Australian team isn't all that, they are the usual bleached blonde prima-donnas, they will crumble in the english conditions under pressure like they usually do. The rest of a group isn't much of a problem really, fiji arent going to do anything to us playing at home, and Wales I don't think have the ability to beat us in that environment. We should be expecting to top our group.

If we do that, the quarter final will be a straightforward win, there are no threats in that group other than S.A who will win the group easily

So we will probably face france or ireland in the semis, again i think that's very winnable.

The Kiwis are basically in the final already due to their side of the draw containing no real threats, and I can't see us beating them in a final, they are more at risk in quarters and semis,

LOL this is the arrogant sentiment and presumptuous thinking that saw England choke. The first host nation to ever not make the finals. England were softer than a wet tissue in this tournament.

Comment

• Wales = first class bottlers.

And Alex Cuthbert belongs at the beach with the rest of the donkey's. How the **** he keeps getting game time while James Hook barely gets a run out is anyone's guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anita Gofradump View Post
                      Wales = first class bottlers.

And Alex Cuthbert belongs at the beach with the rest of the donkey's. How the **** he keeps getting game time while James Hook barely gets a run out is anyone's guess.
                      Bottlers? No way, we preform in the crunch competive games time and time again. We don't regularly bottle Grand Slam deciders like the nobheads over the bridge do.

Today certainly wasn't about bottling, just an awesome defensive performance from the Aussies. If you force the ball over the line only to find the tackler has got his body between the ball and the ground to prevent the try you've got to give all the credit to the defender.

Agree with you about Cuthbert, but not James Hook. Hook can't get a game because Biggar is a much better player and Priestland is less erratic.

Comment

Working...
                      X