No announcement yet.

Are the English bad tippers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    What is so special about the food service industry in the US that they can't pay their workers at least minimum wage?

From what I am hearing Europeans can do it with no problem.
    Not sure why it's like that...

TIPS stands for To Insure Prompt Service

Being a server is completely different than being a cashier at mcdonalds or at the grocery store..
    If you gave servers a flat rate, the service would go down, there is no incentive.. But working off tips allows a great server to make tons of money and a bad one get very little..

But honestly not sure why it's like that in terms of legality, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
      If you gave servers a flat rate, the service would go down, there is no incentive.
      You could say that about any job though. If you give ditch diggers a flat rate there will be no incentive for them to bust their butt...or if you don't tip garbage men the quality of their work will go down. And so on.

The incentive all these other workers have is that they don't want to lose their job. Servers should be the same way.

Comment

Im pretty sure that england is similar to australia and we have a decent minimum wage, people dont need tips to survive.

Comment

Originally posted by RAV3N View Post
          Im pretty sure that england is similar to australia and we have a decent minimum wage, people dont need tips to survive.
          Tipping is what gives you great service in America. I have been told many times that in America, they have received great service and hospitality.

When you work for a set wage, you don't give a fuk because you are already getting paid regardless.

Tipping is a great way to assure you get good service.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            You could say that about any job though. If you give ditch diggers a flat rate there will be no incentive for them to bust their butt...or if you don't tip garbage men the quality of their work will go down. And so on.

The incentive all these other workers have is that they don't want to lose their job. Servers should be the same way.
            Finally someone said this!

As if waiters and waitresses are so secure in their employment that they can afford be crap at their jobs lol.

We tip at 10% average, more if its good service, less if its worse. If I'm abroad i will tip the average for that country

Comment

Working...
            X