No announcement yet.

Are the English bad tippers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by New England View Post
    what on earth are you even talking about?
    This is the second time today I've seen a reply from you that alleges incoherence. I have many faults, a lack of clarity is not among them.

Comment

In general Brits don't tip and they love to complain, I work in the service industry and deal with them on a regular basis.

I should also note that I am English and have lived in Canada for 10 years. (I tip though. )

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
        I was at a chinese restaurant downtown toronto with a bunch of co-workers - around 8 of us. And we tipped I believe 11 % as a whole and the waiter came back to us demanding that the tip be increased to 13%. I just wanted to slap him but then there were 5 Asians in the group and they decided to give him more money.
        I've heard about how automatic gratuity has also started to happen up here as well. The minimum wage in Ontario is $ 10.25 and unlike in U.S. they don't make a third of the min wage, but over two thirds around $8.90 (Toronto Sun), so to have automatic gratuity is absolute non sense.
        Last edited by Box-Office; 07-21-2014, 04:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
          I've heard about how automatic gratuity has also started to happen up here as well. The minimum wage in Ontario is $ 10.25 and unlike in U.S. they don't make a third of the min wage, but over two thirds around $8.90 (Toronto Sun), so to have automatic gratuity is absolute non sense.
          Yeah it's hard to make the case that people live on their tips in Ontario but there is an allowance made for the fact that tips exist in the lower minimum.

Of course wait staff often have their rights abused in Canada is means that are strictly speaking illegal. For example restaurateurs are not permitted to dock wages when people dine and dash, but they do. Neither are they allowed to adjust the wages they pay the wait staff based on how many tips they receive so that including tips they still make minimum. But this happens too.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Not sure where you worked, but serving is the hardest job as well as bartender.. I highly doubt your story, because anyone that works in the service industry and works off tips, is usually a great tipper.. I think your story is full of bull***** or your just a tight ass ****
            No I'm just not blinded by it from working in it.

And I know you are a server because the bolded is the EXACT self righteous attitude someone that used to serve has. It is seriously laughable, it is a low skilled job where everyone cries about how underpaid they are and how they need tips, yet the tipping system really has just made them grossly overpaid.

I do tip when I go out. I never stiffed anyone. If someone is doing a good job and hooking me up I will give them more, if they suck I will give them less. But if they are average I will give them average. That is the way it should be for everyone.

But what has made me so jaded to the system from the years of working there are the pathetic people that b*tch about their tips, which is an epidemic in the industry. You are entitled to nothing. It is an easy, low skilled job that the workers are fortunate to make a very nice wage on. God ****ing help you if you are one of those "if you can't afford to tip you shouldn't be out to eat" people who the **** are you to tell people how they spend their money. Especially if you are relying on their good graces as your income.

For what it's worth I'm speaking on behalf of my experiences working in the city, the suburbs, and a somewhat small city. I have worked with a lot of ****ty people but I also have worked with really good people who deserved all the money they get.
            Last edited by Danny Gunz; 07-21-2014, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
              Yeah it's hard to make the case that people live on their tips in Ontario but there is an allowance made for the fact that tips exist in the lower minimum.

Of course wait staff often have their rights abused in Canada is means that are strictly speaking illegal. For example restaurateurs are not permitted to dock wages when people dine and dash, but they do. Neither are they allowed to adjust the wages they pay the wait staff based on how many tips they receive so that including tips they still make minimum. But this happens too.
              Yeah it's quite pathetic especially the bold part. It's their desperation to make up for the low margin and high competitive nature of their industry.

However, I'd like to assume they are being paid that $ 8.90 and if I'm being charged auto-gratuity then it is surely the last time I'll be going there.

Edit: I had a funny experience at a Chinese place where me and friends had a buffet. The server asked me if I wanted the $5 back after paying the bill (I said no) and she handed it back with an angry look. Tip for a buffet? Yeah thanks for operating the cash register for me, you're definitely worth that $5.
              Last edited by Box-Office; 07-21-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I have had summer jobs working as a field hand picking onions and that seemed much more difficult than being a server would be. Never got any tips...you were paid based on how many buckets you could fill.

Comment

Do factory workers gets tipped too

Comment

Originally posted by givingaim View Post
                    Do factory workers gets tipped too
                    Do they make 4.95 with no insurance, retirement, benefits, etc

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Do they make 4.95 with no insurance, retirement, benefits, etc
                      What is so special about the food service industry in the US that they can't pay their workers at least minimum wage?

From what I am hearing Europeans can do it with no problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X